Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 10:12:11 PM EDT
Just trying to get a feel for down vs synthetic fills bags, never used a syn/poly fill bag and want some opinions on them.

I know down bags are useless once they are wet, and weight more; however they are warmer than a comparable syn fill bag. Syn fill are lighter and provide some warmth when wet.  Typically syn bags are cheaper, but thats not really an issue.

I'v been told I can have one of these bags that are BNIB for free. I'm leaning towards the furnace, but don't want to discount a poly/syn fill as I'v never used one before.

North face cat's meow 20

North Face Furnace 20

Kelty Cosmic 20
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Down is way lighter than syn...
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I think down bags pack up a lot smaller. I have a cats meow 3D (syn) and a marmot sawtooth (down).  I like the down more.  As far as the warm when still wet; I had a seasoned camper tell me once...when was the last time your sleeping back got soaked?  Ymmv

Get both.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Down weighs less than comparable synthetics. Also packs much smaller, especially if you use 800 or higher fill. All of my bags are 800-850 fill, and jackets / coats are 800-900, I've backpacked all over the country in all kinds of weather and never had an issue with water. Just keep it in a drysack and try to let it air out a bit in the morning before you pack it up. On multi day trips, high humidity, or when its been raining, let it air out in the sun during the day when you take a break.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Cats meow, hands down the best 3 season bag I have used.  I sleep with wet /damp clothes in the bag with me to dry them overnight.  No issues with wetting or damping the bag, it's still warm.
I've gotten bags wet before setting up tents in downpour at 10k. If you use your gear and are in the elements things get wet. A bivy might help, but that's another several pounds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the cats meow 20 as well. No complaints, it's been a great bag. I think my next bag will be down though. A couple buddies have down bags and I'm always envious when they roll them up to like 2/3 the size of mine
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been wet and cold.
Synthetic.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have the means, find a primaloft bag. All to conveniences of down, light weight, compacts nicely, super warm to weight ration plus it retains 90% of its insulating properties when wet. They're expensive, but worth every penny when it's cold and wet out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A bivy might help, but that's another several pounds.
View Quote
My borah gear bivy is sub 7 ounces my down quilt lives in it. Their full event bivy is 13.9 ounces. Maybe a usgi bivy would be pounds but there are better lighter products out there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:30:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Most down bags these days are at least water/moisture resistant. Carry it around in a dry stuff sack and you should be fine...

I have a Kelty Tuck 30 and a REI Igneo 20. The Igneo weighs less, and warms more.

The Kelty Cosmic 20 is a great starting down bag. It's not as light as some of the Marmot/REI bags, but it's got a decent warmth:weight ratio.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
People have already stated the immediate benefits/detriments of down and synthetics.  I have both, my expedition type (-20) is down, 0 and 20 degrees in both.  That said now that I'm aware of the impacts of synthetic insulation in the environment, I'd lean towards down in almost all regimes except super wet/cold (like arctic marine).  As they have made smaller/thinner synthetics to compete with down, they've found that the micro threads are in everything.  Not just the big plastic cups and bags floating in the ocean.  Since I prefer not to eat fish or game which eat filter feeders, which are collecting microfibers in their filtering.  I guess the benefit is that you don't have to floss after them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I know a lot of people, including my son who have the Kelty cosmic and love it.  I have the north face furnace and love it.  The NF packs up a little smaller.  Both have treated down so they still work when damp.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Disregard sleeping bags entirely. Down underneath you gets compressed when you sleep. As a result it doesnt help keep you warm.

You waste money and weight.

Acquire Enlightened Equipment Enigma or Revelation down quilts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Or get a Big Agnes down bag, they have no insulation on the bottom but there's a sleeve you slide your sleeping pad into. The pad provides your bottom insulation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I have multiples of both down and syn bags, they each have their purpose.

I use the down in dry conditions or below freezing winter conditions or when I bring a good tent in 3 season conditions in temperate areas.

If I just bring a bivy bag, especially in the spring storm season, I use a syn bag or if I am going out and know the weather is going to suck for days on end.

If you bring down, you must keep it dry. If you don't, it clumps and if wet not just damp, it will be worthless until you get it into a drier with a sneaker.

Best is to get both and tailor your equipment to the trip, the season, and the conditions.

I have had a Northface Blue Kazoo for decades and it is still my favorite 3 season down bag that I use most, because it is super small and very light weight which is important on long trips and or lots of elevation gain.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have the means, find a primaloft bag. All to conveniences of down, light weight, compacts nicely, super warm to weight ration plus it retains 90% of its insulating properties when wet. They're expensive, but worth every penny when it's cold and wet out.
View Quote
Primaloft is 30 year old tech from the 80s. Its only advantage over modern hydrphobic treated down is wet weather performance. It has a far inferior weight to warmth ratio compared to quality down available today. And there are better synthetics out todau, and even those are still inferior to quality down... plus down lasts longer. IMO unless you plan on using your bag in really perpetual wet weather, i.e. pac northwest etc go with down..
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:08:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Unless you're just accident prone or you failed miserably on your planning, a quality down bag is far more advantageous if you're needing the best insulation performance in the smallest, lightest package.  With the treated "dry-down", even a wet bag doesn't clump and will dry out much faster.  As long as you pack a dedicated shelter, a down bag is a better investment.  I do have some synthetic bags and it's often when I'm traveling without a shelter (just a bivy bag and/or a tarp shelter) or more exposed.  I will admit, there is some great progress with synthetic insulation (Apex, Primaloft Gold, etc.) that is really competing with down performance, but cost is almost as relative.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I have no experience with down but I'm still rocking my old North face synthetic bag I got back in the late seventies.  Granted its not as nice as the ones you linked and it only gets used a week or two a year at most but its held up well and keeps me warm.  Only piece of my original "load out" still in service.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought my 3 sons as well as myself Canadian surplus downfilled sleep systems, 2 were never issued. They are great but damned warm in the summer (good in the mountains though)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top