Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2013 8:07:37 AM EDT
Looking at a Chalet Arrowhead hard side pop-up trailer.  Talk me into or out of it:

Pro's:
-No toilet to have to pump out.
-low profile.  It will fit on my side yard
-Decent storage to leave campiing gear in
-insulated for cold weather camping (we camp in the snow once in a while
-small, easy to tow.  Sometimes we camp in rugged spots that a larger trailer cannot be towed into.
-decent weather resistance.

Cons:
-No toilet/shower for the wife in the middle of the night
-smalll
-Need to use a pick-up to haul dirtbike and trailer at the same time.
-pricey for what it is.

What am I missing?  I don't mind the price of entry so much as I hate to have to pay $150/month to store a trailer.  I can keep a pop-up on my side yard since it will clear my roof over hang.  I also like the idea of not having a toilet almost as much as having a toilet.  I can just head home at the end of the weekend and not have to worry about pumping out the tanks.  Most of the places I camp either have bathrooms, or are way out in the woods where I don't need to have a bathroom.

It would be prmarily for dirtbike trips.  I've been sleeping in my truck, but the wife and kiddo willl probably start going with me soon, so the back of the truck wont quite cut it anymore.  

$15k is steep, though.  I could buy a small toy hauler for that, but I'd be stuck with storage fees and I'd have too go pick up the trailer to go camping.  I like the idea of having it at home where it's easily accessible.  

Thoughts?

ETA  too lazy to fix spelling errors and properly grammeritize
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#1]
A flushing camper's potty is cheap and readily available at WalMart for well under $100 if that is the biggest issue for you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Last year I had the same choice between Chalet Trailer with bike in pickup, or Pop up camper with bike on trailer.  Never considered a toy hauler trailer because my pick up is a 4 cylinder Yota.
I went with the Pop Up as pictured below.

Pros:
Fast to set up.  Like really fast.  Walk around the truck once popping latches, get inside and shove the roof up
If you go somewhere without the dirt bike ( I don't either, but it's nice in theory) No trailer.  It can go anywhere your truck can go.
Pretty cheap.  Mine is an All Terrain Camper, base price was $9990
Definitely better shelter than a tent trailer, don't know how it compares to the A-Frames
No toilet, I keep a porta-bucket on the trailer if I need it
Not much space to store it

Cons:
No toilet because there's no room for it.
If I don't take the trailer, no real room for firewood or dead deer, and the porta bucket smells like shit if I use it.  Not a real problem, since I recently swore off ever going anywhere without the dirt bike.
Don't know if it will clear your roof overhang
Can't get in it to pack stuff unless the bottom is supported, like on the truck
The base model is pretty basic.  It includes a stove, sink and ice box, but adding a furnace, battery, jack brackets and cold weather liner bumped mine up to 12.5K.  Replacing the Ice box with an actual fridge would also be extra.

Edit: Pro/Con: The manufacture is in Sacramento, so it probably won't be a big drive to pick it up and have them set up your truck.  But you will also pay sales tax .  I paid them $300 to deliver it to me, and got to skip out on $900 sales tax in the process

If you have a real truck like my friend there, you can put the bike(s) on a hitch carrier and skip the trailer entirely.

What sold me on the camper versus a trailer, was when my dad and I went hunting last year in the snow with tents, and both said "Having a real shelter here would be awesome, but getting a trailer here would not be"
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked at cab-overs, but I can't get one down my side yard. I had a real truck till I changed jobs. Right now I would tow the trailer with a Land Rover or a 5 cylinder Chevy Colorado depending on if the bike goes or not. I will probably have another full size pick-up before next summer.

A cab over would be excellent as I could still haul a trailer, but it's just not an option right now unless I store it away from my house.

Incidentally, I just found a place to store a trailer for $70 that's close to my work. The plot thickens!!! Hmm. Sooo... Folding trailer stored at my house, or toy hauler stored by my work???
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#4]
We got into a new Forest River Flagstaff for under $10,000 last year. Like this one but we don't have the toy hauler. http://www.forestriverinc.com/images/interiorhome/ftcTNTfeat4large.jpg
We spent 5 1/2 weeks, 9500 miles this summer touring the Yukon and Alaska. No problems. We spent a lot of time on gravel roads.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Stopped into my local Rockwood dealer. Ended up buying a A122BH. Lots of nice options for the price. Can't wait to get it out into the woods.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I posted this in another thread about the A frame trailers.  Saw this while camping this weekend and thought the screen room was a neat feature.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stopped into my local Rockwood dealer. Ended up buying a A122BH. Lots of nice options for the price.
Can't wait to get it out into the woods.
View Quote

Hope this has a toilet. Some wives will put up with a lot camping.
Heat, bugs, poor or no sleep and our cooking!!! Most want a real bathroom toilet!
Or as close as you can get!!! If they are a great woman they may not say
a word. If they are tought they may walk right out to the nearest tree
and do their duty!!! But they want a toilet!!!
(hell for those morning library time, So do I)
Think of the brownie points you will get even if you just get a port-a-pottie
from Walmart?
Now on those few times when we have camped at a pay camp ground. The rule is
the wife checks the bathroon to see if it is up to par! If she will use it I know I will!
Now how about some pictures of this A1222BH what ever it is!
Have fun camping!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 4:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Our last camper was a pop-up and it had a toilet, my wife was so excited until I told her we would not use it. She was kind of upset at that then I explained to her that neither of us wants to be in something that small while the other one uses the can. She smiled and agreed instantly.
We use a porta-potty in a tent that we set up away from the camper.
BTW we are camper less now and I want one bad but cost is prohibitive and I don't have enough truck to pull the hard side that I want. No more pop-ups for me. Seems like every time we went out we would have no precipitation for 3 weeks, and then the day we were leaving we would have a cloud burst as I was taking down the camper, requiring me to take the camper home and set it up again to dry it out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No more pop-ups for me. Seems like every time we went out we would have no precipitation for 3 weeks, and then the day we were leaving we would have a cloud burst as I was taking down the camper, requiring me to take the camper home and set it up again to dry it out.
View Quote

The wet canvas issue, and just the setup/teardown routine in general, is what drives most people away from a pop-up. Many away from camping period. It's a shame, because there are some great smaller hard sides out there.

For us, we felt like the pop-up was about 80% of the trouble of a tent, with only about 20% of the advantages of a real camper.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
^^ This is why we went for the hard side pop-up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#11]
A quick pic from last weekend:

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:17:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like a good setup. If I could get away with something smaller I would look into one of these, but I need something that will sleep 6. My slide in truck bed camper will work for deer camp but not family car camping. I will be looking into a bigger pop-up next spring.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:04:48 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, consider a used egg -
Scamp 13 or 16
Casita 13, 16 or 17
Others out there as well.

check out fiberglassRV.com forum
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP, consider a used egg -
Scamp 13 or 16
Casita 13, 16 or 17
Others out there as well.

check out fiberglassRV.com forum
View Quote

Too late. See last picture posted
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top