Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 1:56:57 PM EDT
As an old soldier i'd like to make some observations.
There are tell tale signs when the military sees the end of a combat mission.
I get a lot of e-mail from my nephews and read posts from folks here.
I think Iraq is pretty near over.
1. Garrison duty looks like it's getting pretty chicken-shit to me.
2. In a number of units it looks as if Martinets are replacing combat officers.
3. A seperation begins to appear between E M and Officers. (I have some funny stories on this from VN and afterward)
4. Personal weapons are a no-no.  Even knives become a no no in Garrison areas.
5. Field Grade officers who haven't deployed are trying to get at least a short tour of duty.

Every conflict as it nears the end seems to have these trends.

A-Stan seems to be going the other way.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Salute zones in-country
No American flags allowed on any FOB
E9's going apeshit over piddly uniform issues
Over-safety-izing of the in-country garrison force (PT belt, anyone?)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Salute zones in-country

Last time an officer demanded a salute from me in a CZ my buddy and i snapped it off, pointed at her while looking at the countryside and then dove in a bunker.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Salute zones in-country

Last time an officer demanded a salute from me in a CZ my buddy and i snapped it off, pointed at her while looking at the countryside and then dove in a bunker.

That is some funny shit. I really had that happen with a new LT we had and what do you think happened, we actually took sniper and it got really close to him and watching him try to find cover was pretty damn funny it's self. He never wanted to be saluted again the whole time we were in Iraq or even when we hit Kuwait on the way home.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Salute zones in-country

That is some funny shit. I really had that happen with a new LT we had and what do you think happened, we actually took sniper and it got really close to him and watching him try to find cover was pretty damn funny it's self. He never wanted to be saluted again the whole time we were in Iraq or even when we hit Kuwait on the way home.

The STUPID part is we were on a FOB that had been taking sniper fire every day for the last week and this was a CAPTAIN who should know better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top