Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2007 4:52:41 AM EDT
I am currently going from the National Gaurd to Active Duty through the RC to AC program and it is my understanding that you can either choose a new MOS or a Duty Station, you CANNOT choose schools.  I want to go to Fort Bragg, because its reasonably close to home and I want to be in the 82nd, the only problem is I am NOT Airborne Qualified.  I am an 11B, if I was to show up at Fort Bragg without jump wings, what would happen to me, would I be immediatly sent to jump school or would I get stuck somewhere else.  If anyone can provide some guidance it would be great, I am soupposed to go sign my new contract as early as tommrow.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]

I guess it probably depends somewhat on your MOS and I don't think there are any leg infantry units at Bragg. So you'll probably end up going shortly after you arrive but not before you endure a great deal of crap for being a dirty leg but it will be worth it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]
When I went through, unassigned Joes were snagged by 18th at Reception Battalion (was it called that?? It's been 10 years). Don't know where they went after that though...

Seemed like the guys with just "Bragg" orders were kind of rounded up and claimed.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When I went through, unassigned Joes were snagged by 18th at Reception Battalion (was it called that?? It's been 10 years). Don't know where they went after that though...

Seemed like the guys with just "Bragg" orders were kind of rounded up and claimed.

CHRIS

That's how it went for me at replacement also. I arrived there after being med-dropped from jump school, one of the worst times of my life.
I'm thinking if you're infantry you won't end up in legland though, so you'll probably get your shot at jump school, just don't get hurt
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Chances are you could not get orders to Bragg.

If you do get orders to 19th replacment (non-82nd Bragg units) you may get picked up by the 82nd.

What you want is orders to 82nd replacment, and I don't think you can get those with out ABN school.  

Now if you PT scores are good call one of the units up and see if you can request a tranfer, most of the regiments are hungary for new meat and will quickly cut you orders with school in route.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
19th replacment (non-82nd Bragg units)

That's what it was...

CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
82nd is in need of jump qualified people.  If you want to go to Airborne school as an 11B get Bragg orders and they will send you.  Guranteed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome guys thanks for the quick responses.... I think I have it worked out, but it looks like I'll be stuck in Fort Dix for a couple months while I transition.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Awesome guys thanks for the quick responses.... I think I have it worked out, but it looks like I'll be stuck in Fort Dix for a couple months while I transition.

Then you will have plenty of time to enjoy Burlington Cty, NJ!

'Planet' Bragg is a bit different most posts.

Good luck in Jump School!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Burlington is proving to be an interesting town.   I am having to try hard to stay out of trouble, and I wish someone told me I couldn't pump my own gas up here.... that would have saved a lot of trouble.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't want to be a leg at the home of the Airborne
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think there are any leg 11B slots at Bragg.

Bragg is an awesome post, full of great units.  I've been stationed there 3 times, and am trying to get back as we speak.

Get orders to Bragg if you can.  As an 11B, they'll push you to jump school quickly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#12]
You will come to the 82nd and sit in replacement until you can go to Jump school.

Dont come back without you wings, or they will be sending you to another post.

FREE
Top Top