Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 12:40:49 PM EDT
Does anyone still wear woodland or desert camo? Have they given a date when you have to switch to ACU?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen a ton of people in ACUs hanging at the Wal Mart and Fry's.  Most of those folks would be 1 CAV, given my location, but I've seen some Texas National Guard in them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I think supposedly by the beginning of next year is the deadline to issue the ACU's Army wide, active and reserve
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Will the ACU replace the BDU for all of the following occaisions:

Combat
Field Exercises
Garrison
Ceremonies
Weddings
Funerals
Shopping
Travelling
Super Bowl parties
Recitals
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Either May or April of 2007 is the deadline. Of course me being National Guard probably won't get them until 2010
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Either May or April of 2007 is the deadline. Of course me being National Guard probably won't get them until 2010

Im NG we got measured for them already. Supposed to have em by april this year.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:30:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My guard unit is still in BDU's, the recruiters in our unit however are in ACU's *shrug* We're told that we'd be fielding them in 6 months at the earliest. Either way, I don't really care. I do look forward to the desert boots though, no messing around with shining them. The order for my unit is that no one other than recruiters are to wear the ACU until the whole unit has them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
We have like 5 - 10 soldiers wearing there acu's in my unit . Also i heard that some of the recruits at Benning have been issued ACU's already . That kinda chaps my ass newbie recruits are getting there ACU's before soldiers involved in the war effort.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The people in the "war effort" if you mean the ones deploying are the ones getting them first.  The very first issue went to a National Guard unit that was deploying to Iraq.
The order of issue was units deploying, then to trainees, then Guard/Reserves.  Of course AD/RA will have to use their clothing allowance to buy them.  But you have a year to get them.  Everyone is required to have two sets by May '07, and 4 sets by May '08.  Even the NG and Reserves. ROTC has until 2010.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My guard unit is still in BDU's, the recruiters in our unit however are in ACU's *shrug* We're told that we'd be fielding them in 6 months at the earliest. Either way, I don't really care. I do look forward to the desert boots though, no messing around with shining them. The order for my unit is that no one other than recruiters are to wear the ACU until the whole unit has them.

See the 89th RRC is trying to pull that crap; what are they going to do when recruits come back with ACU's from BCT/OSUT - use unit fund to buy BDU's so everyone is uniform?  It's a period of transition Commanders and Sr. NCO's need to get over it - you will have mixed uniforms in your formations. Live with it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Mixed uniforms? In Iraq I saw a civil affairs guy with an ACU helmet cover, DCUs on, and a woodland vest. Friggin ridiculas I tell ya.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#11]
My unit got ours in November. Not everyone is wearing them yet. Didn't issue patches and name tapes, some people are holding off until those come in. I went and spent the $24. Happy with the fit and how comfortable they are compared to BDUs/DCUs, not too happy with the overall quality on them. Some of my velcro is starting to come unsewn and they stain really easily. Wore them while at WLC (the new PLDC) and it rained while in the field. The two sets i wore out there now have nice stains in the knees and elbows from being in the prone in the mud here at Bragg. Washed them twice (without drying in between) to try and get the stain out, still noticeable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My unit got ours in November. Not everyone is wearing them yet. Didn't issue patches and name tapes, some people are holding off until those come in. I went and spent the $24. Happy with the fit and how comfortable they are compared to BDUs/DCUs, not too happy with the overall quality on them. Some of my velcro is starting to come unsewn and they stain really easily. Wore them while at WLC (the new PLDC) and it rained while in the field. The two sets i wore out there now have nice stains in the knees and elbows from being in the prone in the mud here at Bragg. Washed them twice (without drying in between) to try and get the stain out, still noticeable.

Which leads me to these questions: What did the Marines use as far as fabric that the MARPAT seems to be as tough as the BDU fabrics and tougher than what we're using for ACUs? I've never messed with the Marpat, so I personally don't know if it has velcro on it, and if it doesn't, are the Marines using buttons? I've heard more complaints about the velcro on our ACU's and the cheap way they are sewn.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#13]
The transition dates are 2005-2008. During that time, you can mix and match any of the camoflauge uniforms, ie. ACU uniform, woodland helmet cover and desert Gortex. Looks like shit but it's allowed. Even the tan boots with BDUs lloks hokie if you've spent 20 years looking at black boots, but it's allowed.

Now you can wear the fleece cap that replaces the black watch cap (PT cap) with the ACU uniform. That's like allowing the PT knit cap to be worn with BDUs. It's about time the higher ups realized the Beret does not keep your head and ears warm when the temperature is hovering around 0 degrees. It looks funny but it's warm.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See the 89th RRC is trying to pull that crap; what are they going to do when recruits come back with ACU's from BCT/OSUT - use unit fund to buy BDU's so everyone is uniform?  It's a period of transition Commanders and Sr. NCO's need to get over it - you will have mixed uniforms in your formations. Live with it.

It ain't up to me! I've got no say. That was already talked about at the squad level and brought to the PSG on up the chain and the CO simply had some lame excuse. The assortment of officers rarely listens to anyone anyway, so, it's pretty much "fuck us". Thus my reason of indifference to the whole uniform issue. Why worry about something I have no "juice" to fix? For us, when the assorted officers get a thought, you can hear BOHICA whispered by the masses. I'm just happy were not forming up in clown costumes. At first, our CO had this notion that we'd wear our desert boots with our BDU's until we all had ACU's, which we were all glad about, especially since we're kickin' rocks around NTC so often now, but after the other assorted officers muttered their "thoughts", that idea was shot down on the spot. The few guys that said "fuck it" and wore desert boots out to NTC were dressed down for it and later, more about it was said throughout the BN. Flashback to highschool head games.

So, indifference is the magic pill when it comes to uniforms, otherwise, it's just more stuff to get pissed about.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The transition dates are 2005-2008. During that time, you can mix and match any of the camoflauge uniforms, ie. ACU uniform, woodland helmet cover and desert Gortex. Looks like shit but it's allowed. Even the tan boots with BDUs lloks hokie if you've spent 20 years looking at black boots, but it's allowed.

Now you can wear the fleece cap that replaces the black watch cap (PT cap) with the ACU uniform. That's like allowing the PT knit cap to be worn with BDUs. It's about time the higher ups realized the Beret does not keep your head and ears warm when the temperature is hovering around 0 degrees. It looks funny but it's warm.

Not for us, it's not allowed. Hell, we're not even allowed to wear the watch cap with our PT uniform. I tried and got dressed down for it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#16]
We've been allowed to wear the tan boots since July with our BDU's. Some units don't allow it though the Regs say differently. I like how they look and they're more comfortable. We won't be getting ACU's till we get to Group. We can wear them if we want to purchase them out of our own pocket which some have done but its not required.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not for us, it's not allowed. Hell, we're not even allowed to wear the watch cap with our PT uniform. I tried and got dressed down for it.

In my day I saw people get dressed down for wearing the issue pilecap (bunny cap) while in the field during cold weather. And this was a issue piece of field gear.

When I was stationed at FHL during the '70s we'd have 1 or 2 big fires every year. 3/4 of the troops stationed there would be put on the fire lines. After the fire duty some would spread ashes from BBQ's on their fatiques so they'd a bunch of small burn holes in them. Then they'd turn them in and get new ones issued for free.

What are the rules now for replacement of damaged clothing items? When do you have to buy them and when do they exchange them?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my day I saw people get dressed down for wearing the issue pilecap (bunny cap) while in the field during cold weather. And this was a issue piece of field gear.

When I was stationed at FHL during the '70s we'd have 1 or 2 big fires every year. 3/4 of the troops stationed there would be put on the fire lines. After the fire duty some would spread ashes from BBQ's on their fatiques so they'd a bunch of small burn holes in them. Then they'd turn them in and get new ones issued for free.

What are the rules now for replacement of damaged clothing items? When do you have to buy them and when do they exchange them?

Right now, the order for my unit is that if I must replace a worn or damaged BDU, it must be with a new set of BDUs. I can BUY ACU's now if I want, but can't wear 'em until everyone else has them and is prepared to wear them.

*shrugs*
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right now, the order for my unit is that if I must replace a worn or damaged BDU, it must be with a new set of BDUs. I can BUY ACU's now if I want, but can't wear 'em until everyone else has them and is prepared to wear them.

*shrugs*

That will probably change as soon as you have some new guy show up with basic issued ACU's. My unit was that same way with the new PT uniform before I got out, "nobody is wearing it until the mandatory wear date!" That changed suddenly when we got a few guys in straight from AIT that had been issued them, the next day both our 1stSgt and CO were sporting nice new PT outfits
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
We are supposed to transition to ACU this year, but there will be a period of mixed uniforms where some troops will still be in BDU's.

But then again I got my DCU's in 91 the day before I flew home.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#21]
cannot dx initial issue items.  except in ranger bat-bdus and boots.  i think its bullshit they keep changing uniforms and dont issue them.  soldiers are fighting and dying for our country; the least we can do is provide them with GOOD uniforms, GOOD boots, and GOOD gear.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
cannot dx initial issue items.  except in ranger bat-bdus and boots.  i think its bullshit they keep changing uniforms and dont issue them.  soldiers are fighting and dying for our country; the least we can do is provide them with GOOD uniforms, GOOD boots, and GOOD gear.

Deploying units are getting issued ACU's; people get an annula clothing allowance for the most part we get good unifroms, good boots and good gear.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Here at Ft. Stewart we are still wearing DCU's, we will be switching back to BDU's in March, no ACU's in sight for us any time soon, dont know why. Dant really care either.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#24]
We were told that all new  2LTs going to BOLC/OBC summer of 2006 must have 4 complete ACU sets...bastards
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Deploying units are getting issued ACU's; people get an annula clothing allowance for the most part we get good unifroms, good boots and good gear.

Most people spend the clothing allowance on beer and make excuses why they can't afford new uniforms or boots that aren't all dicked up.

I just went ahead an bought 2 pairs of ACU's as soon as I was allowed to wear them.  I figure they will pay for themselves from the money I save at the dry cleaners and boot shine shop.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been in ACU's for about 6 months already.  Heck, I've already gone through 2 Army schools in ACU's.  (Air Assault and WLC).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The people in the "war effort" if you mean the ones deploying are the ones getting them first.  The very first issue went to a National Guard unit that was deploying to Iraq.

That was my unit.  The ACUs we got were first run, so they have some bugs, but I like them a lot!  The pen pockets rock, and overall the uniforms are very comfortable.  However, out of my 5 sets, 3 have ripped crotches, so beware!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Are you TX Guard? For some reason I was thinking it was a GA unit.
The weak crotch became a known issue and is supposed to be fixed in the latest by a different method of sewing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Are you TX Guard? For some reason I was thinking it was a GA unit.
The weak crotch became a known issue and is supposed to be fixed in the latest by a different method of sewing.

It was, the 48th Brigade.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#30]
We got ACU's...

:unsure:

Had them since we mob'd in Sept.

A few guys have had the crotches rip, I havent yet.  Course, I've only worn 2 out of the 4prs we got issued also, so I still have 2 brand new sets.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
My contract expires in Sept. and I want to have my set issued tyo me before that; I am thinking of reenlisting to finish my 20 years in service, so regardless, i am getting them. We also might get deployed anywhere between Apr.-Oct. of this year; is really a matter of waiting.

I am patient enough.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Mixed uniforms? In Iraq I saw a civil affairs guy with an ACU helmet cover, DCUs on, and a woodland vest. Friggin ridiculas I tell ya.

I have both full sets of ACU and DCU and DCU IBA and ACH cover.  Luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#33]
why does the army hate the watch cap, i had an army SgtMjr chew on some of my Marines for wearing it in camp in AFG, in the Corps it is issued gear and therefore fair game. if its cold...wear the watch cap. everytime my guys were in watch caps or boonie covers i knew some senior army guy was going to make noise about it.

i was hoping that with the new uniform a lot of the gayness would get phased out. i saw one poor soldier standing tall before a senior NCO for having his coat on...but not gloves.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
why does the army hate the watch cap, i had an army SgtMjr chew on some of my Marines for wearing it in camp in AFG, in the Corps it is issued gear and therefore fair game. if its cold...wear the watch cap. everytime my guys were in watch caps or boonie covers i knew some senior army guy was going to make noise about it.

i was hoping that with the new uniform a lot of the gayness would get phased out. i saw one poor soldier standing tall before a senior NCO for having his coat on...but not gloves.

When I was in the Army, it was what was listed on the "Uniform of the day" list. They wanted everyone on the same sheet of music, as it was. I saw people get chewed out for wearing their pile cap in the field on cold days, cause the "list" said fatique caps or steel pots.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I know the 299th Engineering Co of the 99 RC will be getting them come Sept.  I just arrived back from AIT on the 2nd of this month and when we were going through BCT we were one of the last cycles to get issued BDU's.  All cycles thereafter got ACU's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top