Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 11:38:34 PM EDT
I enlisted a year ago in the guard in a non-combat MOS (42r - band) not only because music is one of my talents/hobbies but also the MOS goes very well with being a full time student.

Ever since basic this summer, I've been wanting to do more "Army" stuff. I really want to reclass or possibly get commission to 19k/armor. Am I being a naive young soldier or is it justified?

Our unit has been doing everything they can not to get deployed which I can understand, many of them are OIF veterans or older folks who love music and just want to play. My MOS see's TONS of soldiers reclass from combat, but I have yet to hear of a music guy reclass into combat...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:24:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Find a unit that is a 19K seriers, there are less of us out there all the time (we just got reflagged CAV. 19D).
Go to the unit, talk to the readiness NCO there (go on a weekday) get a feel of the unit, mission, and future deployments they might be facing. Also ask about the needed courses you would need to complete before becoming a Kilo, ask when you could get scheduled and completed with all MOSQ stuff.
IIRC, reclassing to 19K/D is not that bad, should take about 4 weeks. Phase I, then Phase II.
PM me if you have any ?
SCOUTS OUT
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting - I see a lot of this going around - people enlisting in "soft" MOS's and then deciding they want to do more - I know a nurse that is rebranching Engineer so she can go to Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If you go take your pipes with you. I'd love to turn on the news with a cav unit going to battle and see you playing the "Gary Owen".
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#5]
As it stands, there are a grand total of six slots available in California for new armour officers. One in Hollister, two in Madera, one in Apple Valley and two in Palmdale. That's it.

You've just missed this year's OCS intake, the next salvo won't be until next winter. Enlisted 19K gaps aren't many, being that we went from three battalions to two companies, we didn't suffer a lack of people to fill them.

The problem with being an armour officer is that promotion gaps are limited. There are only two company command positions in the state. Major/LTC is even worse. There's the S-3, the XO and the CO, and you're fighting infantry and engineer types for those slots. (Combined Arms Battalion)

NTM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top