Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:14:02 AM EDT
 I am currently in the Army Reserves, and I am really enjoying it.  I can't say when, but I may be going to the sandbox in the very near future.

Right now, not much is going on with my civvie life.  I am thinking about going active duty right now.  Maybe even get an MOS change to Infantry (I am a Combat Engineer right now).

Should I wait, and deploy with my Reserve unit to get a taste of AD, and also prepare for AD, or should I switch now.  Either way I will be going to the sandbox.  My main concern is my level of readiness for Infantry AIT and being in a light infantry unit.

Any recommendations on physical readiness for the AD lifestyle, infantry specific?  

A little off topic, but there aren't too many good places in my immediate area to do any rucking.  How much weight should I be throwing in my ruck?  How much weight is generally safe to run with on a regular basis?  

I can do about 3 miles in 29 min with 25 lbs in my ruck, but I would like to improve it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Just some thoughts, for what it's worth.....

If it were me, I'd probably deploy with my unit, and get a taste of how AD is first. Going with your
unit, you know the guys, their good & bad points, and they know you. Versus getting thrown into the
pot cold, and not knowing anybody.....

Having been in a light infantry unit during my Guard service (talk about a fish out of water - going
from tanks to humping your ruck everywhere....), ISTR that they told us that 1/3 of your bodyweight
is the 'standard' for what you might be humping, with over that 'as needed', etc.....
And the motto of "what you're carrying is what you have to fight with" fits oh so well. If you wanted
it, you packed and carried it, since your deuce & a half might be far away, or carrying other more
needed supplies.

We never went on runs with rucks, but that was also NG, so....

My recommendation, if you're going to go Light, spend the $$ for a good pair of boots. You'll thank
yourself later!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Food for thought, if you go active from the USAR, you WILL remain a combat engineer. Under no circumstances will the Army let you re-class. Not even to Infantry.

If you had some weird ass MOS like photographer or some shit, then maybe. But uncle sam ain't letting you out of one combat MOS to go into another. Not right now anyway.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.  I think I will do my tour with my Reserve unit, then.  Maybe things will cool down later in my military career and then I can switch to infantry.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a thought here, but it might be a lot easier to change to 11B while you're still in the reserve.  Deploy with your unit, but when you get back change to an infantry unit.  They can reclass you and then after serving with them for a little while you could move to the AD side of the house.

If you're not carefull about how you do it you might not make many friends moving around like that, but if you're not interested in staying in that MOS....  I think Uncle Sam would be happier retraining you than losin you as a trooper all together.

Just a thought.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just some thoughts, for what it's worth.....

If it were me, I'd probably deploy with my unit, and get a taste of how AD is first. Going with your
unit, you know the guys, their good & bad points, and they know you. Versus getting thrown into the
pot cold, and not knowing anybody.....

Having been in a light infantry unit during my Guard service (talk about a fish out of water - going
from tanks to humping your ruck everywhere....), ISTR that they told us that 1/3 of your bodyweight
is the 'standard' for what you might be humping, with over that 'as needed', etc.....
And the motto of "what you're carrying is what you have to fight with" fits oh so well. If you wanted
it, you packed and carried it, since your deuce & a half might be far away, or carrying other more
needed supplies.

We never went on runs with rucks, but that was also NG, so....

My recommendation, if you're going to go Light, spend the $$ for a good pair of boots. You'll thank
yourself later!

very well said!  listen to tanker.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top