Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2020 2:25:54 PM EDT
I turned 18 in 1978 and I damn well remember going to the post office and filling out one of those postcards. A year later I enlisted in the Navy.

When I was in school my applications for student aid were constantly being rejected because of this issue. I started carrying an encrypted flash drive with a copy of my DD214 on it.

This morning while applying for a job with the 2020 Census I again hit a speed bump (no Selective Service number) and had to upload a copy of my DD214.

Hey, do you think I should go down to the post office and register again?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell yes
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#2]
In this age of technology and information there is no reason why the Selective Service System cannot cross reference whether someone has or has not served in the military. There is also no reason why a veteran cannot upload a copy of their DD214 to them in order to rectify a situation such as this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Your VA ID card should be good enough if you have one. If not, go enroll… Lowes gives you a 10% discount on everything.

I know for a fact I never registered. Selective Service finally gave up rattling my mom's cage back home around the time I finished Ranger school and got my Spec4. I joined a few months after my 18th Bday but I knew I was going in so I never bothered registering. I did 5 years AD, 3 active NG, and then completed my obligation in the IRR.

They got their pound of flesh out of me. They can go f**k themselves.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you looked on their site to see if they assigned you a number anyway?

I heard that they have done that in the past for people who joined up instead of signing up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no idea what my number was - I think I still have one of my old cards around here somewhere. I turned 18 in '73 - the last year they held a lottery and classified anyone with a sequence number of 100 or less. Mine was 56. But, they never drafted anyone from that year group. I went from 1H to 1A to 1D (when I went into Marine PLC). Then when 40 of us in Flight Track at Quantico mysteriously had borderline high blood pressure and were discharged so we could go back to college and sign up for the ground officer track (they had too many pilots post-Vietnam) I got a 4F classification. That caused great consternation when I went into Army ROTC but I managed to push through and spent 26 years on active duty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you looked on their site to see if they assigned you a number anyway?

I heard that they have done that in the past for people who joined up instead of signing up.
View Quote
This was the case for me. I joined the navy 4 months after my 18th birthday and never signed up for selective service, but I am in the system and have a number assigned.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I Joined the Army as soon as I turned 17 and shipped off to Ft Leonardwood. They made all of us fill out the selective service registration cards at the reception station. I got a letter from Selective Services stating that they would hold on to may paperwork until my actual 18th birthday and thanked me for registering early.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I already checked the Selective Service website for registration number. There is none.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
i never knew you could check it.
I checked. had to reload as the page was blank the first time, but there it is. seems I waited 6 months after turning 18 to register.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I Joined the Army as soon as I turned 17 and shipped off to Ft Leonardwood. They made all of us fill out the selective service registration cards at the reception station. I got a letter from Selective Services stating that they would hold on to may paperwork until my actual 18th birthday and thanked me for registering early.
View Quote
Ditto, except it was Benning. Had to fill it out even though I already wore a uniform.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I just checked mine. Because I was 17 when I enlisted, SSS held mine til I turned 18. Then they did it 5 months late, lol.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I registered when I turned 18 and then left for boot camp 3 months later. At about the 1.5yr mark into my time in the Navy, I received a letter from the selective service indicating that I had failed to register. I turned it over to the ship's legal officer. I never heard another peep from the selective service. Absolutely blew my mind.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I turned 18 I don’t remember doing the selective service but I did join the Marines . Im 47 now  .
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I had my 18th birthday on the Dragon range at Ft Benning, ‘82.  Never gave selective service a single thought until a letter came to my moms house.  by then I was a 1st Lieutenant still in the infantry, so 23-24 yrs old, and thought “Really..???”.  Went and registered, that was it- never heard from them again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I turned 18 in 1976. I never registered for selective service either.

We were in the short gap where you didn’t need to register. Here

I went into the Marine Corps so I felt no need to register either.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I never thought to check it.

I just did and updated my address.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Funny story.

I actually got my letter telling me to register while I was at Ft Benning.  I can remember telling Drill Sergeant Johnson.  He thought that was funny as hell.

I never registered.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I registered when I turned 18 and then left for boot camp 3 months later. At about the 1.5yr mark into my time in the Navy, I received a letter from the selective service indicating that I had failed to register. I turned it over to the ship's legal officer. I never heard another peep from the selective service. Absolutely blew my mind.
View Quote
Pretty much the same here, except I registered at 18, enlisted at 19. I was a PO3 in Sicily when I got a letter telling me I hadn't registered.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I never registered. They stopped bugging my mom around the time I got back from Ranger school and made E-4.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Funny story.

I actually got my letter telling me to register while I was at Ft Benning.  I can remember telling Drill Sergeant Johnson.  He thought that was funny as hell.

I never registered.
View Quote

Same for me at Fort Leonard Wood.
My mom sent the post card in a care package.
Drill SGT Snook drove me to the post office to register.
So PV1 smalltownguy1 registered.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have no idea what my number was - I think I still have one of my old cards around here somewhere. I turned 18 in '73 - the last year they held a lottery and classified anyone with a sequence number of 100 or less. Mine was 56. But, they never drafted anyone from that year group. I went from 1H to 1A to 1D (when I went into Marine PLC). Then when 40 of us in Flight Track at Quantico mysteriously had borderline high blood pressure and were discharged so we could go back to college and sign up for the ground officer track (they had too many pilots post-Vietnam) I got a 4F classification. That caused great consternation when I went into Army ROTC but I managed to push through and spent 26 years on active duty.
View Quote

My Selective Service # is on my DD214.  3rd line from the top...
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I already checked the Selective Service website for registration number. There is none.
View Quote

Isn't it on your DD214? 3rd line from the top?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, it isn't. It is nowhere on it.

The form is the version in effect in 1979.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, in 1977 they were still using the 1972 version.
After I posted I did a search and it is hard to find the different versions by year adopted.
I'm surprised no site has all the different versions listed by year adopted.
That's the kind of trivia I expect to find on the web.
I was surprised to see how they rearranged the order over the years.
Most Government forms seem to keep the same info in the same order in newer forms.
I guess the change had to do with the draft no longer being in effect.
In 1974, there were still a few left on AD, that were in their 2 year term from being drafted.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Just checked mine and was surprised to find it, honestly do not remember registering.
Address listed has Battalion spelled wrong, I must have misspelled it on the card I sent in, what a dofus.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Just checked for mine and got this message:   **There are no records in the Database before January 1, 1960 This if for DOB.

So I guess us old farts can't check. I do still have my draft card though. And I served 1967 - 1971.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I just checked mine.

My registration date is when I was at OSUT at Ft. Benning in August 1982. I guess they had us who just turned 18 register while in basic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I never registered so I went and checked it listed by date as day 1 of active duty
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I never registered. but the website says i did 5 months after I graduated basic in 2001
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I turned 18 in 1978 and I damn well remember going to the post office and filling out one of those postcards. A year later I enlisted in the Navy.

When I was in school my applications for student aid were constantly being rejected because of this issue. I started carrying an encrypted flash drive with a copy of my DD214 on it.

This morning while applying for a job with the 2020 Census I again hit a speed bump (no Selective Service number) and had to upload a copy of my DD214.

Hey, do you think I should go down to the post office and register again?
View Quote

They won’t let you.; You’re too old now.  I’m in the same boat...
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I have my original SSA registration card........signed by Anna Marie Calvert.....the local register.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Turned 18 in '82.  Was already enlisted in DEP, a month earlier.  Did 6 1/2 with USMC, got out, few months later, applied for State job, was told I wasn't registered.  Already did obligated service time, but was told to register anyway.  Sent in paperwork, got notice few months later, that I was turning 26 in a few months, don't bother.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Have my original, and a reissued, Selective Service card. Registered 2 days after turning 18, 32 1/2 years ago...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
i never knew you could check it.
I checked. had to reload as the page was blank the first time, but there it is. seems I waited 6 months after turning 18 to register.
View Quote
Same here.  Registered 02-11-1981.  I remember doing it my senior year in HS.  Different world.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Active Military aren't required to register.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn't know this was a thing.  Mine is there. It looks like you can register on the site.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In this age of technology and information there is no reason why the Selective Service System cannot cross reference whether someone has or has not served in the military. There is also no reason why a veteran cannot upload a copy of their DD214 to them in order to rectify a situation such as this.

View Quote

I was forced to register when I turned 18. WHILE I WAS ON ACTIVE DUTY, having gone in at 17. Seemed kinda stupid to me, but I did it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top