Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2019 4:26:45 AM EDT
Something that crosses my mind from time to time is one of my biggest fears. This is my fear of not having a place to call home after I retire from the Army.  I have no interest in going back to Seattle where I grew up. I plan on retiring in Great Falls Montana we're I recruited for the Army from 2010 to 2014. Montana is a place that I think of throughout every single day, especially the bad ones.

I have just about five years left to retire and aside from not knowing what I will do for work when I go back I have some what of a sneaking suspicion that the idealize vision in my mind's eye of the Montana that I left 5 years ago will not stand up to the place I will return to after the army. Montana is the only place I consider home at this point.  My concern is finding out the place or people have changed to the point where it no longer feels like home either.

We are currently stationed at Fort Hood but I have absolutely zero desire to stay in Texas after I am done. I would go back to Fairbanks Alaska but I would have to do it a single man as my wife said she will not follow me back to that place.

Have any of you dealt with a similar situation to this upon retirement? How did you deal with it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you want to stay married?  Where did your wife come from?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This, she is the one you should be discussing retirement with because if it causes a divorce, say goodbye to retirement and 1/2 your pension depending on how long you have been married.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Buddy of mine just retired from the Army last year, full-bird Colonel.  Typical nomad, lived/stationed in a gazillion places, including a 2-year stint in Germany.  His wife lived in Michigan her whole life.

They just built their dream house out in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and are loving it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#4]
You can't go home again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd prefer to stay married this time. Lol

She was born in Oregon but grew up all over because her dad worked as a union glazer. I met her in Montana but her parents live in west central Idaho.

I'm probably worrying about nothing but I've seen how the east side of Lake Washington where I grew up has changed into something unrecognizable to me. I've been back to Great Falls Montana to visit and it looks the same for the most part.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can't go home again.
View Quote
Oh, I'm never going back to Washington. I try not to even go back to visit. We have friends and family come to us if they want to see us. That's more fun for them as well anyway.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This, she is the one you should be discussing retirement with because if it causes a divorce, say goodbye to retirement and 1/2 your pension depending on how long you have been married.
View Quote
She wants to be in Montana. She doesn't get along with her parents for more than a few days at a time. They live in Idaho by the way. We have talked about Wyoming too.

We both want a place where we can hunt a lot and raise the kids in an outdoors environment.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm concerned we will get settled in and with in a year I'll figure out that the place is turning into Washington state which it was already starting to do when we lived there last.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#8]
How are you talking about retirement and “a good place to raise the kids” in the same breath?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How are you talking about retirement and “a good place to raise the kids” in the same breath?
View Quote
Retirement from the army. I'll be 38 in 2024 when that time comes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh, I'm never going back to Washington. I try not to even go back to visit. We have friends and family come to us if they want to see us. That's more fun for them as well anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't go home again.
Great Falls was your home while recruiting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Great Falls was your home while recruiting.
View Quote
Correct but it's the only place besides Fairbanks Alaska where I have felt a connection to the land or have friends outside of the army that I communicate with regularly.

My closest friend who is a guy a recruited with is going to likely go back to Anchorage which according to my wife isn't an option. That's too bad because his wife and mine are good friends and both worked together when we were all in Montana.

Bottom line is my wife and I are planning to go back to MT my main concern is feeling like I no longer belong there or fit in when I get back.

I've kept contact with my civilian friends in the area to try to keep some kind of roots there.

I often look back on the good times we all had together hunting all over the place and hope it's the same way when I get back.

Finally, speaking of it being my home when I was in recruiting I still own a house there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Follow your interests.
Hunting? Fishing? Shooting? Hiking?
Go there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I’m in the same boat.  4 years til retirement.  My only “curse” is my wife’s dad has a 1000 acres in central TX.  She is the only child and I don’t want to live here when I’m done.  He will be 80 by then and already is slowing down to the point he needs help.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’m in the same boat.  4 years til retirement.  My only “curse” is my wife’s dad has a 1000 acres in central TX.  She is the only child and I don’t want to live here when I’m done.  He will be 80 by then and already is slowing down to the point he needs help.
View Quote
My parents are waiting for me to settle down so they can move to be close to us and their grandchildren.

Texas would be fine if it wasn't so damned hot for so long during the summer. For now I really enjoy hunting in hill country and going to hunt sandhill cranes on the coast but those are the only reasons I like Texas.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Home is where you make it.

I'd be planning to see Hood in my rear view as I was making my way to Big Sky.

Just remember their three seasons ... June, July, and winter.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI. I just retired last year and was in the same boat. After 26 years living all over, more than 20 years of it overseas, I’m like a fish out of water. My family is scattered to the 4 winds, so I retired near my wife’s family. We get to spend lots of time with the grandkids, and that’s great.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#17]
You might be “retired” from the Army at 38.

But you ain’t retired. You are moving to wherever your next job is.

Most likely some urban area, unless you are independently wealthy, or you plan on opening a squirrel farm in the woods somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Home is where you make it.

I'd be planning to see Hood in my rear view as I was making my way to Big Sky.

Just remember their three seasons ... June, July, and winter.  
View Quote
I spend four years up there before.

At least it's not like Fort Wainwright where autumn is 2 weeks winter is 6 months and you get the remaining as a springish summer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You might be “retired” from the Army at 38.

But you ain’t retired. You are moving to wherever your next job is.

Most likely some urban area, unless you are independently wealthy, or you plan on opening a squirrel farm in the woods somewhere.
View Quote
Well I've promised my self I would never work another job after the army where I wake up daily hating my life because of work. My wife agrees that as time has gone on and I have taken on greater and greater responsibility that I have become a more and more miserable person.

I'm not saying that I have a bad life or that I'm not grateful for what I have, just that the pressure of being in the role I am now has negatively affected my quality of life. When I was an E4 and E5 I used to love coming to work and rarely took leave because I enjoyed what I did. Now that I am an E7 and a maintenance control sergeant for my battalion i spend so much time at work that in a given month it's rare to see my kids awake outside of the weekends. I have no desire to do the same in a civilian job for another 20 years.

I'd rather die with less stuff and happier than as a bitter old man who wished he had spent less time doing something he didn't even really want to do just because it made twice the money.

The only reason I've stayed in past 10 years (I'm at 15 now) is for a pension which will allow me to be able to afford to take a job I either like more or can spend less time at doing. 40 hour weeks would be great for a start. I know, I'm a spoiled millennial.

I'd be happy to work 40 hours a week for $20 an hour. Heck I wouldn't even care if it was $15 an hour so long as it meant I was happy with life.

My pension will bring over $2k a month and the median house hold income in Great Falls is not much over $32k. At $15 an hour plus my pension I'd be bringing in about $55k.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Postal service is hiring if you can pass the piss test.

Lot of zip codes to choose from.

Your home is gonna be wherever you work next.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol I sure hope I can pass a piss test being in the army!

I've looked and they hire on part time in that area to start off with.

TSA is about the same. One thought was to work for the post office and TSA until one or the other offered a full time position.

I'd probably only do that if nothing else full time came about immediately.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

TSA is about the same. One thought was to work for the post office and TSA until one or the other offered a full time position.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find a JROTC program that’s hiring near your targeted retirement area.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can't go home again.
View Quote
I guess I didn't get the memo.  I live three blocks from the hospital I was born in.  I look out my bedroom window and see it.  Not the same buildings of course, but the same hospital.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I guess I didn't get the memo.  I live three blocks from the hospital I was born in.  I look out my bedroom window and see it.  Not the same buildings of course, but the same hospital.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't go home again.
I just can't. I don't fit in any more nor do I want to fit in there. Many of the people who didn't move away after school are still working the same kinds of dead end jobs and are either single parents who never married or dont have kids but are still "dating" their high school sweethearts of 15 or 16 years. I obviously have little to nothing in common with most of them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I too was in a similar situation.

Joined the Marine Corps in Florida at 17, retired at 37.  Didn't have a connection to Florida so I retired to the area in CO that I did a tour on recruiting duty in the mid '90s.

2008 was the absolute worst year to retire....other than having GWB on my retirement cert vice Nobamma.  In 2008, CO had not quite seen the recession, we were a couple of years behind.....then it hit.  The oilfield company i worked for pulled chocks and said I could move to bakersfield, CA or somewhere in PA.  Having just bought a house and kids in school, I picked option "C" which was to go to work overseas.  It was the only work that I could find and paid really well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I just can't. I don't fit in any more nor do I want to fit in there. Many of the people who didn't move away after school are still working the same kinds of dead end jobs and are either single parents who never married or dont have kids but are still "dating" their high school sweethearts of 15 or 16 years. I obviously have little to nothing in common with most of them.
View Quote
This. It’s really strange for me to go “home.” The town has changed a lot but so have I. It’s weird when you come across a friend or acquaintance who hasn’t done anything for 15 years and continues to be content with things the way they are or, more often, has no clue that things can be different.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Check out USAJobs when it gets within 6 months of your retirement.

Look for jobs at Malmstrom AFB, there are a number of them posted right now.

GS positions are great for retired veterans as you can buy your AD time and from everything I have seen they are as stressful as you let them be.

Personally, I screwed up when I joined and went National Guard.  Don't get me wrong, the Guard has done great things for me and put me in a position to have skills that get me a good job.  Yet what I should have done is gone AD so that I would be retiring right about the same time you will retire.  As it stands I may retire at that point, but then I won't get any actual pay until I hit 58.5y/o (60 minus two overseas deployments).

Don't forget when considering your retirement pay that $50k in 2024 won't buy as much as $50k did when you were thre before.  It works that way everywhere now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Have any of you dealt with a similar situation to this upon retirement? How did you deal with it?
View Quote
Many military retirees move to Tucson, Vail, and Green Valley, AZ because you don't have to shovel sunshine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Correct but it's the only place besides Fairbanks Alaska where I have felt a connection to the land or have friends outside of the army that I communicate with regularly.

My closest friend who is a guy a recruited with is going to likely go back to Anchorage which according to my wife isn't an option. That's too bad because his wife and mine are good friends and both worked together when we were all in Montana.

Bottom line is my wife and I are planning to go back to MT my main concern is feeling like I no longer belong there or fit in when I get back.

I've kept contact with my civilian friends in the area to try to keep some kind of roots there.

I often look back on the good times we all had together hunting all over the place and hope it's the same way when I get back.

Finally, speaking of it being my home when I was in recruiting I still own a house there.
View Quote
You can count on it on my end,since Paul got married I no longer have a hunting partner except on the rare occasion one of my son in laws is available. May have found a few new spots to hit as well

Hope to see you back here and do some shootin and huntin
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I can understand where you are coming from but as it looks to me you are way ahead of things. You are 5 years out and even in five years things change. May be better to start making trips to place you are interested in when you get about two years out from getting that DD214.

I retired in 2009 and have basically been on the road (over sea) now for most of that time. I don’t even have a place to stay when I am off work. I grew up in Spokane WA and that place is now just a shit town as is most of WA is now days. Across the border, (Idaho) is better but the libs are invading that place now and will be infested soon.
I am really tired of not having my own place again but things will have to change first (10 months on the road this year). I have looked into all the same places you have talked about and there are many more to choose from. Best thing is to keep looking for places that meet your needs and go visit, research, make a list of what’s important and see if it meets your need. If really worried about the new place not meeting your “needs” just rent till you know. But the big thing is research and visit when you can. Well, thats my plan at least.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I did 21 years and 3 states I considered for retirement.

Alaska
Oregon
Arizona

All solid states and have pros and cons

I am from California and California does so many things wrong you can never go back. You just can’t, regardless of family there.
It’s about you now, not them. Staying healthy will be your next challenge.

If your wife doesn’t want to move to Alaska and you have your heart set on it then try compromise and if that doesn’t work follow your heart.

Alaska is the best state in the union. That’s a fact.

I have lived in 10 states including Hawaii and Alaska. Hawaii is the absolute last state I would ever go back to. I would rather travel to South Dakota than Hawaii.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Alaska
Oregon
Arizona

I am from California and California does so many things wrong you can never go back. You just can’t, regardless of family there.

If your wife doesn’t want to move to Alaska and you have your heart set on it then try compromise and if that doesn’t work follow your heart.

I have lived in 10 states including Hawaii and Alaska. Hawaii is the absolute last state I would ever go back to. I would rather travel to South Dakota than Hawaii.

Good luck!
View Quote
Funny we overlapped on Arizona. When our grandkids outgrow us we are selling everything and moving the back to Hawaii.  If you didn’t like it you made no effort to get out and give it a chance. The big island is probably the single best chunk of land on earth.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife and I are both retiring from the USAF next year. We're going full Millennial, taking a gap year, and hitting the national and state parks in a 3/4 ton truck and travel trailer. Landing zone is Boise ID. If parents are aging keep that in mind if you don't have siblings close to them. That was a driving factor for our ID move, I'm from there, and home CINC loves it there. We never had kids so we'll go find work we really enjoy...and buy toys with that cash.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Always funny, but nobody there will start your IV or wipe your ass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Alaska
Oregon
Arizona

Good luck!
View Quote
Visit AZ.  You don't have to shovel sunshine and no need to install sunshine tires for winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top