Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2011 7:37:42 PM EDT
Anybody taken this?  I have 2 english classes to go for my AA and I think that I can take one CLEP test and it will knock these out. Obviously that is the route that I would want to go if I can pass the damn thing
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I did, and passed.  You've got nothing to lose.

Consider your options:

1) Take a class for four months, attending school between one and three times a week, spending probably 4 hours in school each week.  That doesn't include the time you spend commuting, studying, writing papers, mandatory reading or any of the other BS that goes along with taking a class.  Don't forget about unforeseen deployments and TDYs that might force you to drop the class.

2) Take a test that might take you an hour and a half to complete, wait for your results, and profit!
Also consider taking the English/American Lit. CLEPS and some of the other more obscure ones if they'll satisfy the requirements.

I'm about as close to an expert on CLEPS as you can get without working for The College Board.  I have nearly 100 credit hours from them.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure to take the English with Composition CLEP, as many universities won't give you credit for the one that doesn't include the composition.  I took the non-comp test in 1990, but when I started seriously looking into going to school, I was told I had to take the comp. version in order to get credit.  While I was in the Army, it worked out really well, as I got promotion points for both of them.  Since neither of them cost me a dime, I didn't mind.  But, if you're primarily looking for the college credit, as opposed to promotion points, it makes no sense to waste time taking an unneeded test.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I took about four CLEP/DANTES tests a week until I passed enough to get my first CCAF A.S. Degree. English was one of them, it's pretty easy. The only one I truly bombed was the speech one...which I should have waited on taking until after I went to Academic Instructor School.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys....I think I am going to give it a shot
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 CLEPSs that I need to take here soon.  My adviser says they have study guides so I'm not worried at all.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I CLEPed English for my CCAF.

In and out in under an hour, easy.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
When you say "easy" what do you mean?  Is this test like reading comprehension or asking about verbs, words etc?  Forgive my ignorance.....I got my GED in 1987
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When you say "easy" what do you mean?  Is this test like reading comprehension or asking about verbs, words etc?  Forgive my ignorance.....I got my GED in 1987

It's been awhile since I took mine, but if I remember correclty, it's a little bit of all that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I took about four CLEP/DANTES tests a week until I passed enough to get my first CCAF A.S. Degree. English was one of them, it's pretty easy. The only one I truly bombed was the speech one...which I should have waited on taking until after I went to Academic Instructor School.

+1. had heard speech is a pretty hit or miss CLEP, so I just took the course through the local college. Walk in the park.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1. had heard speech is a pretty hit or miss CLEP, so I just took the course through the local college. Walk in the park.

Same, was an easy "A" class through the local college.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Your Ed office should have a study guide.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Good advice regarding English with the essay.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speech was one of the only ones I failed.  I remember rambling incoherently about subsidized babysitting for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooooooo looooooooooooooooong.  

I passed the written part.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Speech was one of the only ones I failed.  I remember rambling incoherently about subsidized babysitting for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooooooo looooooooooooooooong.  

I passed the written part.  

Yep
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Are CLEP tests usually free to take or do they cost money?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are CLEP tests usually free to take or do they cost money?

They are usually free at military education centers, they cost a but elsewhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top