Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2008 10:41:28 PM EDT
Another food for thought topic: getting into the minds of others.

Sort of covered this in the computer crime topic, but another thing came to mind today, so I thought I would give it its own heading.

I tend to use a decent amount of psychology in my work though it is more academic, conference oriented, inhouse questions, and technique development than active case.

Anytime I analyze a crime problem, I am expected to offer a solution to stop the problem and that usually means, so far anyhow, disabling the market the produces the crime. In order to disable the market, one has to understand what motivates individuals to participate in that market. Ie, it's sexy, exciting, and relatively harmless to steal antiquities because that's what movies like Topal and Entrapment show (nutshell). (but one is just a criminal and thief to do so).

Figure out what motivates them, see the world as they see it for that motivation, and even see themselves as they do. But really, it's just another way to approach and use forensic psychology.

Btw, how did I get into this? I probably started realizing that I had a flair for it when I was doing electronic warfare and started asking questions of why might an enemy commander launch his missiles down this or that axis. Ie, does he really know where we are ...... or is he launching a missile on the hope that if we are out that direction, that we will give ourselves away with the noise when we start defending ourselves?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:28:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I look at it more like deer hunting.  Find a pattern and ambush them.

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#2]
i dated a girl whos degree was PC, she was constantly analyzing me, i hated it. and she was wrong a lot. went to john jay in NY, past that i dont have a lot of experience with it. thought i should share
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted: i dated a girl whos degree was PC, she was constantly analyzing me, i hated it. and she was wrong a lot. went to john jay in NY, past that i dont have a lot of experience with it. thought i should share

It's an occupational risk of psychology types. You get the book and one of two things happens; you start dianogsising those around you or more likely, all the things you read about you realize you're that!

Just last week, I lent my DSM-IV to an acting classmate since her character was antisocial. I was looking at Border Line Personalty, the other player, and WOW, that could apply to me!

But with the DSM, there is a major catch with almost all the classifications. It only applies if the person is having significant difficult at normal life because of it. If they aren't, then that's not them.

Almost ...... what's the exception? Those few classifications that one can actually be busted for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top