Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2007 7:47:32 AM EDT
This is a bit unusual of a question, but I'm looking for officers who have had LASIK done. I believe there are at least 2-3 that come to mind.

I'm wondering if OC can cause some kind of problem with those who have had LASIK done, either through the actual irritation process or the "hydraulic needle" of the spray hitting the flaps. Is there much risk here of something getting screwed up through exposure or getting smacked with it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had it done and have had no problems.  The doc did say for LEO's and FF's that because of the "physical nature of our professions" he always recommends at least five days off post op, to make sure the flaps had a good hold.  OC within a short time of the surgery, I can see that being a problem with swelling and what not.  But once everything is healed, I don't think it would be a problem.  I just had to spray a guy and got some mist in my eyes and it was not a problem.  Ask one of the docs, they should be able to tell you.  In my opinion it was the best money I have ever spent.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I had it done 3 months ago, and just went through gas training for SWAT.  All it did was burn like it did when I wore glasses and I still have 20/10 vision.  You'll be okay, but like the other poster said, not in the first week after the proceedure.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I had my lasik done the first week of my academy (contract issue for me to be hired).

I was OCed about 2 months in, and the instructors used a funnel instead of stream for me. Still hurt, but no damage.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Had my LASIK done almost 6 years ago.

Got OCed in the academy back in January.  It hurt like hell.  So much, that if given the choice between having to do one or the other, I'd take the 5-second TASER ride instead of the OC.

No permanant damage though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:29:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I've gotten hit with OC and with the powder from our pepperball system.  It burns like hell just like everyone else.  I had my procedure 7yrs ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top