Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2006 9:42:09 AM EDT
Hello everyone!

I don't know that you can call me a LEO yet, but I will be soon!  Graduation is on 11/14, and even though I'll be an "Auxiliary Police Officer" (APO) I'll take the same oath and be sworn just the same as any full-time paid officer in Virginia.

On a side note, I actually have an application in process to become a full-time paid officer with the same department.

There's some interesting timing occuring around graduation.  As I said, graduation is on November 14th, and we will be sworn, get our badges, etc. on or before that date.  It just so happens that on that weekend there will be a major gun show in the area.

My question to you guys is this.  I've heard of discounts on firearms to LEOs, but I can't quite seem to find much information on these programs online (for a reason, I'm sure).  What information/experience do any of you have with these programs, and what advice (of any kind) could you provide to me on these programs?

Thanks, and I'm anxiously looking forward to becoming a brother in blue

_MaH
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Town Police in Richmond, or Southern Police World in Chesterfield.

Both offer good discounts and good service. SPE has a great catalog with internet sales, if you don't want to drive. Not sure where you are in the state, but Town Police also has a store out near Martinsville.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Contact Sigarms, they have a military/LEO direct purchase program.  I've heard Smith and Wesson and Glock also have similar programs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock, you can go through a Glock dealer and show commision card for 1 price, or you can go through the department and if they are willing to put it on letter head you get an even better price.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI, Town Police as mentioned above is a stocking Glock LE dealer, and has most 9/40/357 glock pistols for $398 plus accessories. Also, Quantico Arms up in NOVA is a Glock LE dealer, as well.

You will probably need to be sworn in to get the available pricing...
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:51:44 AM EDT
[#5]

You will probably need to be sworn in to get the available pricing...

18 days and counting!

Fairfax County, by the way.  Sorry for leaving that out earlier!

_MaH
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here's the info for DPMS

From the link:

2) If the rifle is a Pre Ban Configuration, the following must be done:
--Complete the Law Enforcement Officer’s Statement and have it signed by the highest-ranking officer in the department that states:
• Person is an officer in good standing with that department
• Officer has not been convicted of a crime of domestic violence
That this rifle is to be used for Law Enforcement purposes only
• A copy of this letter must be sent to DPMS at the time of ordering.

Two quick questions about this:

1) "The highest-ranking officer in the department"?  I would think the Chief of Police would have more important things to do than to sign a form like this for me...  Perhaps they mean someone supervising me in the chain of command?

2) "That this rifle is to be used for Law Enforcement purposes only" -- This actually made me wonder about something...  I've been under the impression the whole time that a LE discount on firearms will apply if a LEO wants to buy a firearm for his own use (be it home defense, a shooting competition, hunting, etc.).   This statement seems somewhat implicit of an officer who needs to have a weapon on the job, but the department will not be able to issue them one (I refuse to believe that such a situation exists in any department in these United States).

Can anybody clarify these matters for me?

Thanks.

_MaH
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge is a Glock LE dealer and has the best prices around.  I've purchased two Glocks from them and they come with NS and 3 full cap mags.

Usually a Sergeant from the firearms training section or most any Patrol Lietenant can sign those documents for you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's the info for DPMS

From the link:

2) If the rifle is a Pre Ban Configuration, the following must be done:
--Complete the Law Enforcement Officer’s Statement and have it signed by the highest-ranking officer in the department that states:
• Person is an officer in good standing with that department
• Officer has not been convicted of a crime of domestic violence
That this rifle is to be used for Law Enforcement purposes only
• A copy of this letter must be sent to DPMS at the time of ordering.

Two quick questions about this:

1) "The highest-ranking officer in the department"?  I would think the Chief of Police would have more important things to do than to sign a form like this for me...  Perhaps they mean someone supervising me in the chain of command?
2) "That this rifle is to be used for Law Enforcement purposes only" -- This actually made me wonder about something...  I've been under the impression the whole time that a LE discount on firearms will apply if a LEO wants to buy a firearm for his own use (be it home defense, a shooting competition, hunting, etc.).   This statement seems somewhat implicit of an officer who needs to have a weapon on the job, but the department will not be able to issue them one (I refuse to believe that such a situation exists in any department in these United States).

Can anybody clarify these matters for me?

Thanks.

_MaH

Nope.. "Chief" is "Chief"  If that is the Highest Ranking LEO, in an SO, it would be the Sheriff.  Whoever is at the top of the food chain.  As for "More Important things to do"  He's the CLEO..Paperwork IS his job really.  In NJ at Least, our Chief has to sign every FID Card/ Pistol permit, and 100 odd other things every day.. Now this does NOT mean her personally vetts every single document, that's what the staff is for..but my boss sits down every morning and does noghting but sign his name for about 40 minutes.  Anyway I digress.  If the company specifies the Highest Ranking Officer,in the Dept, than that is what they want, if he Does NOT sign it for whatever reason, then you're SOL on that discount.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes departments have personnel (an administrative LT, etc, who may have the delegated authority to sign for the CLEO.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
When you go out and buy stuff, whether its guns or lunch, dont flash your badge around just because you can.  Bunch of guys down here did that at the local carwash.  they used to give cops free carwashes. Key word was USED TO.

just a little advise.  Use it wisely.

Congrats on graduation
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 on that.

In the FBI there has been a running joke (true story) about an agent in NY who went out to a deli frequented by agents from  the NYO. Upon receiveing his sandwich, and being unhappy about  the portion size, he flashed his creds and announced loudly "Hey, FBI, more roast beef".

I first heard this story 27 years ago when I entered on duty and it has become a cautionary tale in the Bureau about letting your status as an LEO go to your head.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with using official "law enforcement purchase programs" offered by many firearms manufacturers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:42:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
When you go out and buy stuff, whether its guns or lunch, dont flash your badge around just because you can.  Bunch of guys down here did that at the local carwash.  they used to give cops free carwashes. Key word was USED TO.

just a little advise.  Use it wisely.

Congrats on graduation

Thanks.  We've been given all kinds of advice regarding being careful about who knows our LEO status.  I plan to keep it on the d/l as much as possible.

_MaH
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:48:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Impact www.Impactguns.com has given me a LEO discount on items I bought from them.  I purchased at the store though, I don't know if they do anything like that online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top