Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 4:13:34 PM EDT
How do LEOs deal with the emotional stress of handling abuse cases? I believe if I showed up on a call involving child, elder or animal abuse, someone is gonna tote an ass whipping. It amazes me the people who abuse or neglect responsibilities in life.  Thanks for doing a job I wouldn't last long at. Mike
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How do LEOs deal with the emotional stress of handling abuse cases? I believe if I showed up on a call involving child, elder or animal abuse, someone is gonna tote an ass whipping. It amazes me the people who abuse or neglect responsibilities in life.  Thanks for doing a job I wouldn't last long at. Mike

I normally use it to re-focus on exactly what our mission as police is, and also as incentive to do the job the "right" way... to make sure the scumbag offender gets convicted w/o any problems.

edit... as for dealing with the emotional aspect. Long ago I accepted the fact that there is true good and true evil in the world. I attribute cases like that to evil, not to humankind. It becomes a wrong that needs righted then. Satisfaction of helping the victim and their subsequent well being are thanks enough.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I do have to admit, on the child abuse cases I've worked...Ive definately wanted to turn in 14 instead of 15 rounds more than once at the end of my shift. Then again, some of the domestic abuse cases I've had to leave the room to laugh my ass off. (Never underestimate the 4 foot nothing korean wife vs the bad ass 6+ foot infantry Sgt.)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That's it right there. Your job is to respond in a professional manner and handle the situation. Losing control of your temper is neglect of YOUR responsibilities.

Basically, you can't allow yourself to be lowered to their level.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I just remember that we have a job to do, and try to use that to get my focus back on the case
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How do LEOs deal with the emotional stress of handling abuse cases?

Bottle it all up and then make fun of the drunk who crashed his car, ejected himself and died because he impaled himself on a mile-marker....man, that dark-humor shit is funny.

Come to think of it, dark-humor might just keep it from getting bottled-up....

But seriously, that drunk-ass fool got what he deserved. Better his ass than someone elses.

No, it was really funny...I mean, what are the odds of that?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
ROFL @ Striker.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Fortunately, most of the times that I have seen really bad cases of abuse, the suspect is not still on the scene. They might be the lowest form of human life but they aren't stupid enough to hang around.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive thought about this too. I like to think some criminals get a severe ass whooping when they do certain things to cops or other people who havnt done anything wrong. Sometimes when you watch "COPS" it seems so fake how reserved police seem to be with belligerent criminals.

Just this past week a Cincinnati female officer was shot in the face in close range during a traffic stop due to questionable window tint. Luckily the .45 round only put a gash in her face and didnt kill her but she will have scars. If the scumbags gun hadnt jammed she would be dead for sure. Now Id like to think that guy got roughed up pretty good before swat found him hiding in a basement.

I would not make a good police officer  but Im glad their are men and women who do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
All of us that have been around awhile have seen some of the most stomach wrenching incidents that the average joe would have nightmares and day sweats for months.  We each handle it differently, in our own way.  I've seen officers so drunk on duty that they've been instantly fired.  I've seen officers go home on lunch break and eat a bullet.  Officers that can't keep a relationship for any length of time. This job that so many bash us for is not for the weak at heart or mind.  

I handle my stress trying to be the best father, husband, and person I can be.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I pray an "Our Father" every day on the way to work.  I shed a tear when needed and I talk to my fellow officers. So far I've been able to keep on keeping on.   I do it for the guys on the street who rely on me to do my part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top