Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 2:09:36 PM EDT
Man held in St. Paul standoff

Following a several-hour standoff Saturday morning, St. Paul police detained a man who apparently was hiding on his front porch with a loaded shotgun and a samurai sword.

James M. Soderbeck, 31, of St. Paul had jumped on his girlfriend on the porch of the house in the 1700 block of Minnehaha Avenue E.

Soderbeck said he was going to snap her neck, according to police accounts. She fought free. During the struggle, Soderbeck broke a window when his head hit it.

His mother, who also lives in the house, called 911 shortly before 5 a.m. The girlfriend got on the phone and told the operator that Soderbeck had a shotgun and had taken lithium, methamphetamines and alcohol. He also told her that he was God and that he had created diamonds, she reported.

When police arrived, they removed Soderbeck's mother and girlfriend from the scene.

They were told that Soderbeck had barricaded himself on the front porch with a mattress, hiding behind it with a shotgun. Officers tried to speak with him through a door to the porch, but he refused to leave.

The Police Department's critical incident response team was called in. At 8:45 a.m. officers entered the house and subdued Soderbeck after a scuffle. They found the shotgun and sword near his hiding place.

He suffered minor scrapes and bruises, as well as cuts on his head from the broken window. He was booked in a locked unit at Regions Hospital on charges of making terroristic threats and for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Washington County authorities had two warrants out for his arrest, including one for offering a forged check.

link
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
What is it with nuts and swords?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]
God is lucky he didn't get an MP5 mag dumped in him by the SWAT pointman like the other yahoo on the porch w/a shotgun a few years ago.

That was Felony stupid.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Since when have they invented ballistic mattresses?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds a lot like that dude in Seattle a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
How long till he's released and kills someone?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:45:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How long till he's released and kills someone?

just as soon as the judge ROR's him!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought this was gonna be the response to where the three rounds that now deceased UCF officer fired went.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought you made a typo in your title and typed God instead of got...

I thought it was a mistype of "dog"
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Since when have they invented ballistic mattresses?

Hmmmm....didn't you watch that classic movie Bonnie and Clyde?  Gene Hackman hids behind a matress while firing at anyone with a badge.  If I recall, that mattress was capable of stopping the following:

.38 cal revolver ammo
OO buck Shot
.45 Thompson Sub Gun Rounds

and my all time favorite.....

.3006 BAR rounds!  

So you see, someone must sell the ballistic matress

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]
If they can't see me then they cant shoot me  h.gif

That  is the classic mistake of confusing cover for concealment.  He's lucky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top