Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 5:31:28 PM EDT
www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-bk-officer092405,0,3864465.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

A University of Central Florida police officer is believed to be dead and several college students were injured today in a shooting incident prior to a football game at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

Details were sketchy, but witnesses told the Orlando Sentinel that an Orlando Police Department bicycle officer shot the UCF officer, who was involved in a sweep for underage drinking at a tailgate party before the kickoff of the UCF game against Marshall University.

Students said an undercover officer broke up the tailgate party but encountered resistance and fired three shots into the air. A police officer responding to the gunfire saw the armed officer and shot him several times, the witnesses said.

At least one student playing drinking games was injured and rushed to the hospital, the witnesses said.

"It's pretty freaky. You don't think you would see this at a UCF game," said junior Nicole Jorgensen, 22, of Melbourne.

No further details were immediately available.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
shot in the air??? thats not by the book....................
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, the news just said he passed away.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#5]
There has got to be more to this story.  Three rounds in the air in a crowded parking lot?  Any radio call for assistance? Any coordination between the agencies and the UC's?  A sad situation.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]
prayers sent for both officers.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There has got to be more to this story.  Three rounds in the air in a crowded parking lot?  Any radio call for assistance? Any coordination between the agencies and the UC's?  A sad situation.

I think that was part of the problem, no coordination. The Orlando officer(that fired the mortal round), was a retired Orlando Police Officer working for the Orlando Police Department as a reserve officer for the detail at the game. So, he probably had a lot of experience. Maybe he didn't know their was undercovers working the crowd. Their had to be a lot of mistakes made to lead to this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There has got to be more to this story.  Three rounds in the air in a crowded parking lot?  Any radio call for assistance? Any coordination between the agencies and the UC's?  A sad situation. hr
+1
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Very tragic. When I first saw this I thought the guy was an idiot and had little sympathy for him. Then I saw a picture of him on a news site. Idiot or genius or whatever, this is tragic beyond my ability to describe in words. There are NO winners here, esp. the officer who shot the UC. The family of the dead officer at least can console themselves that he made a mistake and died accidentally. But the other cop will go to his end wondering if he could have doen something different.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:50:47 AM EDT
[#13]
warning rounds+civy clothes= bad idea.  this isn't the old days where everyone knows each other. very sad.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:00:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
warning rounds+civy clothes= bad idea.  this isn't the old days where everyone knows each other. very sad.

Amen.
We have a similar situation in RI (I live closer to Providence than to Boston).

Officer Cornell Young Jr was trying to breake up a fight which included an armed civiian outside a bar. Fellow officers mistakenly shot him.

Now, because he was black and they were white, there have been all KINDS of race cards being played.

His mother has been trying to sue the city ever since saying that it was due to racial profiling that her son was shot., when all it was is embodied in the quote above my post

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#15]
wasn't the bullets that killed him as much as the stupidity.

Where'd the three rounds end up?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]

A coworker was at the game, and watched the whole episode happen from only a few feet away.  He dove behind a car for cover as soon as the shooting started.

That's all he told me so far, I'll try to get more info soon.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top