Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 12:22:16 PM EDT
We are looking to purchase new MDTs to replace the current ones. What type are you using now and are you experiencing any problems with them? Please include the name of the MDT, if it is a touch screen, one or two piece, and approximate cost.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
We are using basic laptops made by Symantic.  They are not touch screen but they work well.  As far as the program goes, it's called Imobile.  Imobile integrates our Computer Aided Dispatching system.  When you get dispatched to a call, the call pops up on the MDT.  It also shows a map as to where the call is located.  Quite useful when you have 52 sq miles to patrol  Of course we can run all our LEADS from this terminal as well, but what's nice is that we can assign our own case numbers and create events as well.  Such as business checks, follow ups, or even security checks.  You can also attach vehicles and socials to the calls that you are on.  The only issue I have with our MDT system, is that being that we are so far north by Lake Erie, our MDT reception sucks from time to time.  So when you run a plate sometimes you'll get just the vehicle information back and not the owner, and sometimes vice versa.  Otherwise I think they are great.  Here's a pic of just the laptop, I'll try to get a pic of the screen for you tonight.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
We use Panasonic Toughbooks, can't remember the model number off the top of my head. They have touch screens, liquid proof keyboards, and built in wireless. We run a Tiburon CAD system, and I like it. Occasional dead spots, but if part of a return gets delayed by poor reception, it holds it until you get within range again. Could be a few miles, could be just a few feet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
We are using basic laptops made by Symantic.  They are not touch screen but they work well.  As far as the program goes, it's called Imobile.  Imobile integrates our Computer Aided Dispatching system.  When you get dispatched to a call, the call pops up on the MDT.  It also shows a map as to where the call is located.  Quite useful when you have 52 sq miles to patrol  Of course we can run all our LEADS from this terminal as well, but what's nice is that we can assign our own case numbers and create events as well.  Such as business checks, follow ups, or even security checks.  You can also attach vehicles and socials to the calls that you are on.  The only issue I have with our MDT system, is that being that we are so far north by Lake Erie, our MDT reception sucks from time to time.  So when you run a plate sometimes you'll get just the vehicle information back and not the owner, and sometimes vice versa.  Otherwise I think they are great.  Here's a pic of just the laptop, I'll try to get a pic of the screen for you tonight.

www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTAyMTgyNjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Hey, looks like I'm not the only one stuck with an old Kustom Signals Pro-1000....
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We use Panasonic Toughbooks, can't remember the model number off the top of my head. They have touch screens, liquid proof keyboards, and built in wireless. We run a Tiburon CAD system, and I like it. Occasional dead spots, but if part of a return gets delayed by poor reception, it holds it until you get within range again. Could be a few miles, could be just a few feet.

Me too...I like the Toughbook.  We mounted in at a angle for easy typing.  Some of the squads have them mounted flat and are a bit of a bitch to type on.  After we mounted them we hired a few guys and found out that the mount used most of the room in the passanger side.  Being a FTO is a real bich now and is down right scary in a crash because the mount will break your leg even in a small crash.  .  Buy the Toughbook and look into mounting options.  We even run a digital dash camera through the Toughbook.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top