Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 11:17:58 AM EDT
Special Agent Steve "Sully" Sullivan was killed in Mosul, Iraq by a suicide bomber that detonated a vehicle-born improvised explosive device. SA Sullivan was the Regional Security Officer for the regional
embassy office in Mosul.  Prior to becoming an agent with Diplomatic Security, Sully served as a US Marine and as a Navy Corpsman.  Prior to his service in Iraq, Steve was the Assistant Regional Security Officer (ARSO) in Kabul Afghanistan.  I got to know Sully this summer when we were in a high-threat protection course.  He was a hell of a guy and will be sorely missed.  I am glad to have called him my friend.  Rest in Peace Sully.  

ETA:  I just heard that three contractors were killed with Sullivan.  I assume they are Triple Canopy, but that's the only information I have.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The three contractors were Blackwater.

Also Tuesday, the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad said a car bombing killed four other Americans — a Diplomatic Security agent and three private security agents — traveling in a convoy Monday in Mosul. The four were attached to the embassy's regional office in the northern city, Iraq's third-largest, said spokesman Peter J. Mitchell.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (search) identified the Diplomatic Security officer as Stephen Eric Sullivan, calling his death "a tragic loss for all of us at the Department of State." His age and permanent address were not given.

Link
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Were losing our finest over there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#5]
RIP guys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget, Blackwater, DynCorp, and Triple Canopy fill the billet of a DSS special agent.  They deserve the same respect.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe you didn't read the title, or the post.  I don't have particulars on the contractors or I would have given their inifo as well.

Article
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Just to update,

We had a most excellent memorial service for the fallen men yesterday.  The memorial was held at the Embassy (Old Saddam palace) in one of the ball rooms with probably 400 people attending.  They had four chairs lined with tactical vests and helmet topped M4s, each with candle.  Draped behind the chairs was the American flag.  The chaplan gave a great sermon, fellow friends and operators spoke their words in honor of the fallen men, and Amazing Grace was sang in beautiful tribute.   The ceremony ended with Taps.  Not many dry eyes in the place.  

RIP
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the update.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Details of Steve's service.

Diplomatic Security Special Agent Killed in Mosul Attack

Diplomatic Security Special Agent Stephen Eric Sullivan was killed on Sept. 19, 2005, in the line of duty during a terrorist attack in Mosul, Iraq. Special Agent Sullivan was serving in a U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Diplomatic Security protective detail when his motorcade was attacked.

In the three years he was with Diplomatic Security, Special Agent Sullivan volunteered to serve in two of the most dangerous countries in which the State Department operates--Afghanistan and Iraq. His outstanding efforts were recognized with several awards. Before joining the State Department as a Diplomatic Security Special Agent, Sullivan served in the U.S. Marines, the U.S. Navy, and devoted himself to working with children with special needs and at-risk youth.

Sullivan joined the U.S. Marine Corps in 1983 as a field radio operator. Following his service in the Marines, he became a residential advisor to children with special needs for the Devereux Foundation in Rutland, Massachusetts. In 1993 he joined the U.S. Navy as a hospital corpsman. He became a nationally registered emergency medical technician and also served as administrative assistant to the chairman of the Internal Medicine Department of the Naval Medical Center in San Diego. Following his honorable service in the Navy, he worked with at-risk youth as a standards officer at the San Diego Job Corps Center.

Special Agent Sullivan joined Diplomatic Security in 2002, and was assigned to the Miami Field Office. Within two years, he became an assistant regional security officer in Kabul, Afghanistan. In August 2005, he became an assistant regional security officer in Baghdad, Iraq. Special Agent Sullivan was on temporary assignment as the acting regional security officer in Mosul when he was killed.

Special Agent Sullivan’s awards include a Meritorious Honor Award, presented to him in April 2005 for his outstanding leadership and superb execution of duties while serving as a lead advance agent for protective details during the Afghan Presidential Election. The award also recognized his superb efforts as a shift leader during the inauguration of President Hamid Karzai. Special Agent Sullivan received an Extra Mile Award in March 2004 for piecing together the trail of two career criminals across six states. As part of that investigation, he supervised an operation plan among 17 law enforcement agencies. His work led to the successful apprehension of both criminals. For his efforts during his special agent training, he earned a Tactical Award in 2002.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top