Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2005 12:51:39 PM EDT
I just got off the phone with a LEO from another agency and made a couple of calls to confirm what I am about to post.  So far it has 'checked out' but I won't have the final thumbs up until later today/morning but it is too funny so I'll jump the gun for the laugh.

Yesterday, Sun 08/28 the great Rev. Al Sharpton came to Crawford in support of Sheehan.  Well Sharpton spent a little too much time hanging out with the anti-war trash and became late for his flight out of DFW.  Sharpton ordered his driver to make up for lost time and the driver of the limo sped up IH35 to try to make the flight.  A DPS Trooper in Ellis Co. clocked Sharpton's limo on radar at 110 mph in a 70 mph zone.  The Trooper made the stop and arrested the limo driver for reckless driving (more than 35 over and the Trooper can do that).  Sharpton's name wasn't on the lease agreement so the Trooper couldn't release the limo to Sharpton.  The Trooper offered to give Sharpton a ride to the DPS station so that Sharpton could wait in comfort for his new ride.  Sharpton assed out and said that he had done nothing wrong and he would NEVER ride in a police car if he didn't have to.  The Trooper drove off and left Sharpton on the side of IH35 in the heat with a cell phone!

I am working on securing the dashcam video.  If I get it I'll post it.

Can you say OWNED, Texas style.  That Trooper is getting an Xmas gift from me!!

ETA:  As some have posted it IS the real deal.  I am awaiting the dash video as we speak.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Great story...we'll see if it's true or not.  

How does 35 mph over the limit automatically constitute reckless driving?  Never heard that before.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
DPS around this area interprets the reckless driving statute in such a manner as that someone who is willfully speeding in excess of 35mph over is operating their vehicle in a reckless/dangerous manner.  It works for them.  Our policy is anyone who operates their vehicle at twice the posted limit is reckless.  We are given the option to arrest or cite, don't know about DPS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag-a-reeno!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
hoo-fucking-aah!!!!!!!

I saw a blurb on Fox News about it, but was busy that I didnt pay attention. It's at least partially true.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuggin troopers are hard core!  Wasn't Rick Perry that made a scene when his driver was stopped? "Why don't you just let us get down the road?"  They played that commercial over and over before the elections.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Rev. Al Sharpton's driver arrested near Dallas

11:25 AM CDT on Monday, August 29, 2005
Associated Press

WAXAHACHIE - The Reverend Al Sharpton's driver is free on bail after sheriff's deputies say he was arrested for driving 110 miles per hour on an Ellis County highway near Waxahachie.

Jarrett Barton Maupin, 43, of Phoenix was freed on $1,000 bail after Sunday's arrest.

An Ellis County sheriff's spokesman said a deputy spotted a car containing Maupin and Sharpton speeding north yesterday afternoon on Interstate 35E, about 40 miles south of Dallas.

State troopers headed off and stopped the car just west of Waxahachie. Maupin told the troopers he was hurrying to get the New York civil rights activist and two other passengers to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

Williams said the car was impounded at the rental agency's request, and Sharpton and the two other passengers were offered a ride to a nearby hotel. They declined and said they'd walk, although there is no word on where they went.

Sharpton had been in Crawford earlier in the day to visit with Cindy Sheehan, who has been leading an anti-war vigil near President Bush's Central Texas ranch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
[nelson] HA HA [/nelson]

txl
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How does 35 mph over the limit automatically constitute reckless driving?  Never heard that before.  

Our CA holds that 30 over the posted limit is automatically "reckless," but you still have to articulate how the driver was a hazard to other motorists and property on the roadway in your affidavit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
tag for video :)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#10]
News release from the Sheriff says that there was a 9 mile chase before he pulled over.  Arrested for evade and ellude and Driving like an asshole

Also said that LEO's offered them a ride across the street to Hotel, but they declined and walked.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#11]
This video could top his performance on Boston Legal.  

God Almighty! God Almighty! God Almighty!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#12]
tag for video
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag, this I have to see.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
video?  Oh so tagged
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Rev. Al Sharpton's driver arrested near Dallas

11:25 AM CDT on Monday, August 29, 2005
Associated Press

WAXAHACHIE - The Reverend Al Sharpton's driver is free on bail after sheriff's deputies say he was arrested for driving 110 miles per hour on an Ellis County highway near Waxahachie.

Jarrett Barton Maupin, 43, of Phoenix was freed on $1,000 bail after Sunday's arrest.

An Ellis County sheriff's spokesman said a deputy spotted a car containing Maupin and Sharpton speeding north yesterday afternoon on Interstate 35E, about 40 miles south of Dallas.

State troopers headed off and stopped the car just west of Waxahachie. Maupin told the troopers he was hurrying to get the New York civil rights activist and two other passengers to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

Williams said the car was impounded at the rental agency's request, and Sharpton and the two other passengers were offered a ride to a nearby hotel. They declined and said they'd walk, although there is no word on where they went.

Sharpton had been in Crawford earlier in the day to visit with Cindy Sheehan, who has been leading an anti-war vigil near President Bush's Central Texas ranch.

I wonder who called?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh so tagged! We need to all chip in and buy that trooper a Christmas present!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll ship him his favorite bottle....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#19]
You will never see the dash cam video on the net first.   Someone would probably loose their  jobby job.

I can't believe that he wouldn't accept a ride from the po po.   We aren't a taxi service.  So IMHO the trooper was more than accomodating.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

In many States, "Reckless Driving" is defined as operating a motor vehicle in ANY manner that shows a "willful disregard" for the safety of persons and/or property.

VERY EASY to articulate that driving at such high speed is dangerous and clearly an act which shows disregard for the safety of persons and'or property.

Here in Florida, it is generally 25 MPH over the posted speed if using SPEED ONLY as an indicator.

Hell yea, 110 is RECKLESS !!    
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#22]
tag with a warning. Be careful posting the vid, make sure it's uber cool with the bosses, not worth your job not to.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like some concerned citizen should file a FOIA request for the video.  Just to make sure the good Reverend's federal civil rights weren't violated of course.....

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I've posted this incident to a private e-mail list in which I participate.  Several folks have asked for the officers or barracks address.  They'd be likely to sent favorite beverages, etc if the info was available.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've posted this incident to a private e-mail list in which I participate.  Several folks have asked for the officers or barracks address.  They'd be likely to sent favorite beverages, etc if the info was available.

Yeah, where is this trooper working from?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#26]

State troopers headed off and stopped the car just west of Waxahachie. Maupin told the troopers he was hurrying to get the New York civil rights activist and two other passengers HOOKERS to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#27]
This is so Fracken tagged.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I love it...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Not surprisingly, the DPS folks are being pretty tight lipped on this.  I still haven't heard about when to expect the video from my guy at DPS but he still claims that he can get it (we'll see).  As to the Troopers station, he is based out of Ellis County, Tx. which is where the stop took place.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Not surprisingly, the DPS folks are being pretty tight lipped on this.  I still haven't heard about when to expect the video from my guy at DPS but he still claims that he can get it (we'll see).  As to the Troopers station, he is based out of Ellis County, Tx. which is where the stop took place.

Awesome.

And you're sure that you don't have any concerns about making this video available?  I'd certainly like to see it, but I'd hate for anyone to get in trouble because of it...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome.

And you're sure that you don't have any concerns about making this video available?  I'd certainly like to see it, but I'd hate for anyone to get in trouble because of it...

Unless there is still a criminal investigation pending, and release of the video would comprise the investigation, they have to release it under the Texas Public Information Act, if requested by anyone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless there is still a criminal investigation pending, and release of the video would comprise the investigation, they have to release it under the Texas Public Information Act, if requested by anyone.

That doesn't mean there won't be repurcussions if one of us releases it publicly...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Someone told me that it is DPS policy if they catch someone over 100mph they go to jail.....just a rumor i guess but it was told to me by another peace officer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Fuggin troopers are hard core!  Wasn't Rick Perry that made a scene when his driver was stopped? "Why don't you just let us get down the road?"  They played that commercial over and over before the elections.

And he is still in office!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I gotta see this.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't mean there won't be repurcussions if one of us releases it publicly...

I'm not saying that, but all someone has to do is write up a PIA letter...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:15:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:37:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Well done DPS!!

Here in Va., 20 over is automatic reckless, so thirtyfive over is pretty damn generous.
I hope Sharpton spent a trembling nervous night in beautiful downtown Waxahachie.
Unless it's grown up alot lately, Waxahachie is a really archtypical "kicker" country town.
It used to be long-hairs and out-of-staters beware kinda place.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Tag for video, I'm so loving this.
Way ta go DPS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Outstanding!!!  

A new motto for Texas DPS: "One phony asshole preacher, one trooper!!"

Find out who the trooper is & IM me his name & address, & I'll send him a bottle of his favorite relaxation.....

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#41]
tag, good work
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Tagged for the OWND vid.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#43]
great story,   sharpton is a butthead!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Outstanding!!!  

A new motto for Texas DPS: "One phony asshole preacher, one trooper!!"

Find out who the trooper is & IM me his name & address, & I'll send him a bottle of his favorite relaxation.....

I have a bottle of his fave, too...gotta love it....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#45]
so, where is the vid?

txl
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag.....this would be an amazing video.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#47]
tag this has got to be good.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Tagged

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#49]
tag for vid!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top