Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:40:28 AM EDT
I called Austin today, and learned with my education and time with the department I'm eligible for a MASTER TCLEOSE certification.  I just got back from USPS mailing them the paperwork and a $25 MO.
My question is, what is it really worth?  Does it mean much if you're stuck on the same department until you retire anyway?  I went ahead and sent for it because I didn't think having it could hurt but what good is it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not in Texas but we have a simular system north of the Red River. Advantages 1] it has, at least fore me, intimidated attorneys on cross examination 2) If your DA's ask your qualifications more credibiliuty with juries 3)resume power for when you stuff it 4) personal pride in acheivemen
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends upon your Deaprtment, at ours the Officer gets an additional $50 for each level of certification reached.  It's worth an extra $150 per month to us so we watch it very closely.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Plus now you can get one of those neato little pins that say master peace officer on it and wear it on your uniform.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got my "Master Peace Officer" cert too.  We get a raise based on certificate pay, but I've already been able to put it to use in court.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
It's useful on the stand,  it's also good for a stipend.  (Gad, I'm getting old.  I didn't think I'd EVER make master,  way too many classes and requirements.)

Some depts require it for promotions beyond a certain level.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
ryann- I had mine hanging on my office wall since 1997; it didn't mean anything except a personal level of accomplishment until my department decided (through legislative approval) that it now counts for a stipend on our pay check.  You should have seen the flurry of activity from those in my department who were eligible for the stipend, but did nothing to acquire that piece of paper from TCLEOSE.

So, yes, get it because even if your department does not give you anything for it, it is still a level of personal and professional accomplishment.  It is something you can put down on a resume.

Who knows, down the road it may count for something.  Never say never...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top