Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:21:17 AM EDT
I have been going thru the process to get on our city PD.  I passed my written, oral, physical, lie detector, backgound, and even my psych test!  I assumed they would send out a letter saying you passed or didn't pass the psych test then let me know later if I got a conditional offer of empl.  Nope!  I got my letter yesterday stating I passed my psych test but they are only taking 37 in the academy.  They didn't say what number I was, they only stated I wasn't one of the 37.  I really wish I knew.  The psych test is the last major hurdle.  I assumed if I passed I was in.  I do know that only 80 people made it to the psych test.  I have to assume atleast 20 didn't pass that.  
They did state that if something changes in the next year that I will be contacted.
I was so pumped to make it that far, now I just wish I would have failed the first test!

Everyone has told me don't worry just keep your head up and reapply...the problem is I am guessing the next academy won't start until 2007!  I didn't want to move because I own a house in the city, but I guess if I want to be a po I will have to.

Sorry to bitch about it, but this crushed me!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear that.  Maybe they will keep you in line first for the next academy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Pay a visit to their Civil Service Director. Find out where you ranked. The rankings are public record. If they are using a non mandated minority quota as my city does, you may have grounds to sue. By non mandated, I mean that they are not under a court order to hire a specific ratio of minorities. When I was hired, my city was under orders from the federal Court to hire 1 minority for every 3 non minorities. The Decree expired and the city was no longer legally bound to honor it but they still do.
Nobody has challenged them on it but they know they will lose a legal challenge. Actually, on guy threatened to sue after he was passed over because of his age. He passed the age limit after the hiring began and minorities who ranked lower on the list were hired before him. Rather than lose a court battle, the city hired him.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have been going thru the process to get on our city PD.  I passed my written, oral, physical, lie detector, backgound, and even my psych test!  I assumed they would send out a letter saying you passed or didn't pass the psych test then let me know later if I got a conditional offer of empl.  Nope!  I got my letter yesterday stating I passed my psych test but they are only taking 37 in the academy.  They didn't say what number I was, they only stated I wasn't one of the 37.  I really wish I knew.  The psych test is the last major hurdle.  I assumed if I passed I was in.  I do know that only 80 people made it to the psych test.  I have to assume atleast 20 didn't pass that.  
They did state that if something changes in the next year that I will be contacted.
I was so pumped to make it that far, now I just wish I would have failed the first test!

Everyone has told me don't worry just keep your head up and reapply...the problem is I am guessing the next academy won't start until 2007!  I didn't want to move because I own a house in the city, but I guess if I want to be a po I will have to.

really, it's not as bad as you think.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on passing and making it that far!    That is a big accomplishment.  Keep you head up and keep going.

You could also put yourself through an academy and/or try the county sheriff.  Best of luck.

I've always had respect for the LE community, but because I've gone through a portion of the process LEO's go through to make it on to the force, my hat is off to you ladies and gents.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
don't let that keep you from doing what you want. Theer are other departments in your area i'm sure. hell even if you have to commute a little, wouldn't it be worth it?

J
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep your head up.  It sounds like you are committed to this choice of career, so prove it.  

I sit on the hiring commitee for my Department, and trust me, if you made it that far, you have a very good shot at making it all the way.  Keep in mind...10% of the people they offer the job to will turn it down.  That leaves about 33.  If the academy is anything like here in CA, they will wash at least 5 or 10 of those in the academy.  What I'm trying to say is: its not as bleak as it seems right now.  They just kicked you in the nuts....you've been kicked before.  Drive on.

Also, I think Sukebe gave you some good advice.  I suggest you follow it.  Learn now, sometimes you have to hold admin's feet to the fire.

Good luck, and remember, we need good people in this profession....we want you to succeed, but you have to man up and prove you deserve to belong.

We'll be thinking good thoughts for ya.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear that.  Maybe they will keep you in line first for the next academy.

Doubtful.  They'll start all over and take the top selection of the next crop.  

I know how you feel, Man.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#10]
What you do NOW defines who you are ! I have been SHAFTED Boo Koo. Think long think wrong ! Go back to school or take a new avenue the answer is within you ....Do not dwell on it ! You were not disqualified because you were defective. They simply ran out . Good luck Bro
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Like Wave suggested, try other depts in your area. Why not county ?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep your chin up...most people that don't have a "hook" don't get a job that easily.  Took me 3 years to get one, if you want it bad enough - you'll get it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Or you could move to the Arizona valley where everyone is under staffed. You would have great luck here with pretty much any dept.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

IM sent......
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't worry, the list will probably last for a little while. You might get in the next academy. I can almost certainly say that if your city is sending 37 people at once to an academy, they won't be waiting 3 more years to send anyone else through. Most academies have 3-4 classes per year. My dept typically hires pretty frequently, usually at least one or two per academy class, and we only have just under 200 officers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top