Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 12:10:04 PM EDT
i'm sampling various leo forums to get better ideas on how to break the law and avoid fines/imprisonment. my question here is, say the speed limit is 70 mph. if traffic is light, could i reasonably assume that i could go 80 and not get pulled over by most hiding troopers? is there an unwritten law where leos will give you 5-10 mph over the limit? at what point are you GUARANTEED a ticket? 15 mph over? 12? thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
1 mph over the limit is an infraction.  The rest is officer discretion

Can't tell if your post is supposed to be humorous, honest, or just stupid..so you got a straight up answer
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I have learned from speaking to police officers about this subject, there are far too many variables to estabablish any "unwritten" rules. Police officers are human beings and as such, are subject to being irrational when making decisions.( irrational in the sense that the same violation may be over looked this time, but get the hammer dropped on the next) If you happen to pass a newbie officer going 5 over, chances are that you will get pulled over. If you happen to pass an older officer having a shitty day, then you are likely to get pulled over. If that same older officer is in a good mood, you can probably keep on truckin smartly down the road.

So, put your chips on the pass line, roll the dice, and takes your chances.

I used to be an over the road truck driver and have found that 5 over is generally overlooked.  The only time in over 5 yrs driving OTR that I was pulled over for a speed violation was in Washington state for 6 over the limit. Fortunately the trooper was on older officer and reasonable. Once he realized that I wasn't just being an ass he gave me the obligatory warning and I went on my way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
no, i'm being serious. i understand 1 mph over is technically illegal, but what do you think is the average trooper's/officer's threshhold? 5mph? 10 mph?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
When you get the answer you want to this question, come back and ask just how much meth you can have on you before a reasonable officer will arrest you...I mean, it's not like you're gonna sell the stuff!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
With the approach of "im learning how to break the law" you aren't going to get an answer from any of us LEOs.  Use your better judgement as even if all of us chimed in with answers, you're not likely to be pulled over by any of the ar15 leo community.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
5 over here. Anything more and you're just gonna end up bent over the hood.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you should probably be able to go anywhere from 10-20 mph over the limit anywhere you drive. The worst thing you can do though is slow down when you see a police officer. Just keep going your previous speed. You don't want them thinkin you were just daydreaming or had a momentary lapse of attention. Let em know you know what  your doing and your actions are deliberate and intentional.

You'll do fine!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
If traffic is light and you are the only speeder out there,
guess who the nice trooper is gonna give the ticket to?
Also drive fast in the inside lane on the interstate.
Makes it easier for the trooper to see you as he is trying
to catch up.

Go with the flow of traffic.
Do not weave in and out of traffic.
That way you can make better time when the trooper
runs down that idiot who blew your doors off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If traffic is light and you are the only speeder out there,
guess who the nice trooper is gonna give the ticket to?

I find it interesting that when a collision is less likely you are most likely to be caught.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Applicable Pennsylvania Law from Title 75

Speed Timing Devices in PA

Short version-
Must be 6 or more over to get a ticket from radar, which is Troopers only.  Below that is safe, except for when they clock you with the speedometer.  I doubt many citations have been issued for speeds less than 6 over though.

I would imagine many other states have comparable sections.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i'm sampling various leo forums to get better ideas on how to break the law and avoid fines/imprisonment.  

It appears mommie did not teach you much.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Use your signals
Maintain proper following distance
Stay in your lane

if you pass an officer - don't hit your brakes in a panic...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

if you pass an officer - don't hit your brakes in a panic...

If you're paying attention it doesnt happen.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]
this is exactly the type of info i'm looking for. thanks. more questions to follow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]
how can somebody with so many posts on this board be so ignorant?

i guess they come in all size and packages
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Since speedometers  are rarely accurate,  (Esp with mag tires and oversized rims,  suspension mods, etc)

I usually give 25 over on residential streets, 20 in school zones, and only ticket in construction zones when I see wind resistance peeling the paint off your car.  I don't even bother on the interstate.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a State Trooper.

80 in a 70 will get you a "yellow" from almost anyone in my department.  A "yellow" being a ticket of course.  And don't even think about telling a Trooper some stupid drible about "my friend is a cop and he told me I could drive 10 over and you wouldn't stop me."  That will net you an extra ticket my good friend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm a State Trooper.

80 in a 70 will get you a "yellow" from almost anyone in my department.  A "yellow" being a ticket of course.  And don't even think about telling a Trooper some stupid drible about "my friend is a cop and he told me I could drive 10 over and you wouldn't stop me."  That will net you an extra ticket my good friend.

Whats the extra ticket for?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#19]
In Virginia, 80 mph is automatically considered "Reckless Driving", so pretty much no matter what, you will at least get stopped for it and most probably summonsed (ticketed).

I recommend to family and friends to do no more than 10 mph above the posted limit.  That will usually keep you from getting stopped or maybe get you off with a warning.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#20]
OK here is a less sensitive/stupid question. Are there such things as ticket quotas (official or unofficial)? ie officer is required to issue X # of tickets in a month...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
OK here is a less sensitive/stupid question. Are there such things as ticket quotas (official or unofficial)? ie officer is required to issue X # of tickets in a month...

Why, that would be illegal

Its a "performance evaluation"
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#22]
They have to have "quotas".

Let me ask you this......  How does a department know whether or not it's officers are out there doing what they are supposed to do, rather than goofing off.  What performance standards can they hold their officers to, if they cannot set any standards (gasp!...that would be a quota). <----sarcasm.

Many departments have "minimum erformance objectives"... the officers call them "scratches".  Summonses (including traffic and misdemeanors), parking tickets, arrest warrants, other warrant service, temporary detention or protective orders, etc...  

My department requires no less than 30 "scratches" per month.  Some officers prefer to do traffic stuff.  Some prefer to do criminal.  The people who prefer criminal stuff are the ones who usually end up having to do alot of traffic stops at the end of the month when they don't make as many arrests as they thought they would.

On the up side, most officers start giving out warnings after they get their required scratches.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'll play...

There are no quotas per say where I am from.   That being said at the end of the month I turn in a "hard card" which has all of my stats on it for the month including damn near everything you could think of ie: citations, arrests, citizen contacts, warnings, incident reports, field contacts, crash reports, pedestrian checks, vehicle checks, foot patrols, etc... the list goes on and on.  I also have to account for all of my time which is broken into - assigned time, patrol time, training time, and out of service time.   There is no set limit as to what I have to turn in but believe me you do NOT want to be straying too far below the shift average for enforcement.  This is all taken into account for yearly performance evaluations.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#24]
No quotas any more.
Now it is called goals and expectations.
If you are not meeting the Lts goals,
you should be expecting to see either him
or the Sgt fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, I think 1-5 is ok, anything over is grounds for warning or a cite.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It's a choice.  He spends most of his time here in "The Pit" or trolling (or at least what I would consider "trolling") legitimate threads.  

(Not flaming - to each his own.  This has just been my observation in the threads in which I have been involved and he has posted.  If I am being shortsighted or this generalization is unfair, I offer my sincerest apology. )
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Are there such things as ticket quotas (official or unofficial)? ie officer is required to issue X # of tickets in a month...

No sir, we don't have quotas.  My boss lets me write as many tickets as I want to.
Yes sir, we sure do have quotas.  Three more tickets and I get a set of steak knives.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i'm sampling various leo forums to get better ideas on how to break the law and avoid fines/imprisonment. my question here is, say the speed limit is 70 mph. if traffic is light, could i reasonably assume that i could go 80 and not get pulled over by most hiding troopers? is there an unwritten law where leos will give you 5-10 mph over the limit? at what point are you GUARANTEED a ticket? 15 mph over? 12? thanks.  

I truly cannot believe someone would ask this question.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#31]
A ticket a day keeps the Sergeant away.......

No quotas, just a Traffic Index.  Traffic Index = Number of Citations/number of collisions.  Index is supposed to somewhere around 20.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a choice.  He spends most of his time here in "The Pit" or trolling (or at least what I would consider "trolling") legitimate threads.  

(Not flaming - to each his own.  This has just been my observation in the threads in which I have been involved and he has posted.  If I am being shortsighted or this generalization is unfair, I offer my sincerest apology. )

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top