Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 1:13:51 PM EDT
Pretty much what the subject line says.  
I got a Model 97 from my father and it has D.P.D. stamped on the receiver just behind the hammer.  He figured (and I agreed) that it probably belonged to either Detroit or Dallas PD (before I stole it in a daring jail break - I just don't remember if I was in Dallas or Detroit at the time because I was wasted on PCP - or was it Denton? ).  We also figure that it has most likely been re-blued - it was an amazing job (either factory or expert gunsmith) - because of the condition of the gun.  I'll post pictures if it helps.

Edit: I forgot the "."s in the D.P.D..  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Could have been any agency with a D in its name. Without paperwork, you'll never know. Will their company do a  serial number search and provide documentation the way Colt does? That would tell you what part of the world the weapon was originally sold to at least.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I guess I could do that.  I love the gun - I was just a little curious.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Here you go:

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
could be denver too
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
could be denver too

They have guns there?  

I'll probably just have to contact Winchester.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh my!  That shotgun's a beauty!!

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Oh my!  That shotgun's a beauty!!

Thanks.  That's what made my father and me believe it had been re-blued.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
could be denver too

They have guns there?  

you never know these days
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's a good idea. Maybe they can point you to the original agency that it was sold to. Documented Provenance can increase it's value.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Try asking here SASSNET
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Ranger Jim Reed on SASS.net wrote:

It probably did belong to Dallas PD at one time. I don't know if the Armorer at DPD would have access to those records or not. It does look like the Dallas PD markings I have seen on newer model pumps used by DPD in the 70's. You could always check with Winchester, I'm sure they have records somewhere. I'm sure Dallas PD bought a bunch of them at one time. Good Luck on your research.

Winchester said it was made in the early 50s, but gave no answer when I suggested that they tell me to whom they sold it so I didn't push it. Since it was purchased in Houston I figure Dallas is the most likely PD that previously owned it. I'm going to shoot 00 buckshot from it on Saturday - I've never fired buckshot from a shotgun and this one has no recoil pad so I'm sure it will be delightful.  I need to know what it's like so I won't be surprised by the recoil if ever I have to shoot an intruder.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
If it was purchased in TX I would think that it is from Dallas.

But I live near Detroit, and know alot of DPD officers, and all of their Glocks have D.P.D. stamped on them in the same way.

Probably just a similarity, but interesting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Now I'm back to being confused. Calgon, take me away.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
DPD has been far more Remmy friendly in the past. . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top