Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 11:55:55 PM EDT
Are there any US Marshals on this board, or anyone who has considered applying.  I work for a city PD, and have thought about applying to be a Marshal.  Especially after the B.S. that I had to deal with from some members of another agency tonight.  

Also, even though I've only been working for 4 years, I'm already getting sick of dealing some of the PIA people who have nothing better to do than complain about stupid insignificant events.  Just a little ranting.

Anyways, with the Marshals I've heard that you get stuck with Courtroom security and Prisoner Transports for 2-3 years, before you get sent out on the street.  I'm sure that if you wanted to, you could find something to complain about with any job.  Currently, I have an A.S. Degree in Criminal Justice and 4 years experience as a Patrol Officer.  After looking after their website, I was kind of confused because it looks like you have to have been a Veteran to apply now, or do they just get something similar to Veteran's Preference Points?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Sogdude is in USMS Special Operations Group.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, I was only kidding when I said you should change your tagline to "I'm confused".
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sogdude is in USMS Special [s]Operations[/s] [red]Overtime[/red] Group.
View Quote

[;D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, I was only kidding when I said you should change your tagline to "I'm confused".
View Quote

I know, thats why I changed it!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are there any US Marshals on this board, or anyone who has considered applying.  I work for a city PD, and have thought about applying to be a Marshal.  Especially after the B.S. that I had to deal with from some members of the Local SO tonight.  

Also, even though I've only been working for 4 years, I'm already getting sick of dealing some of the PIA people who have nothing better to do than complain about stupid insignificant events.  Just a little ranting.

Anyways, with the Marshals I've heard that you get stuck with Courtroom security and Prisoner Transports for 2-3 years, before you get sent out on the street.  I'm sure that if you wanted to, you could find something to complain about with any job.  Currently, I have an A.S. Degree in Criminal Justice and 4 years experience as a Patrol Officer.  After looking after their website, I was kind of confused because it looks like you have to have been a Veteran to apply now, or do they just get something similar to Veteran's Preference Points?
View Quote

As of right now you will have to wait for a new test to be announced. There was a test given last year and then several rounds of interviews were done during the year. This pool of candidates will sustain the next several classes. When the pool dries up you can expect another test. It's best to call your local district and talk with the district recruiter, they will be able to let you know when a new test is announced.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
The uniformed division of the Secret Service is hiring right now. You might give them a look.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]
LE6920 hit it right on the head.  The USMS recruiting/hiring can often be very confusing.  Talk to the recrutior in your local district.

And Combat_Jack... there are a couple of us SOGers floating around.  :)
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#8]
You are right about finding something to complain about in every job. If you are that unhappy being a Police Officer, you are doing everyone out there a favor by getting out.  There are plenty of guys out there who wants your job.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I know of one officer that left a local department after a few years to work for the DEA. He lasted about 6 mos and got his old job back. He was frustrated about the lack of discretionary authority, large bureauacracy with his new job. No job is perfect. Just my .02....
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are fortunate to work on a Fed Task Force you would see all the BS they have to do compared to what you think you have to put up with your PD. Don't kid yourself, if you are good with numbers and pushing a pen then it's for you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Juntau,
That blanket statement is not entirely accurate.  Most fed agencies would fit that bill.  But our fugitive task forces tend to run low on admin/bureauacracy BS.  Yesterday is typical... 3 arrests yesterday afternoon and 2 hours of paperwork.

Usually, I will spend half a day hitting houses and interviewing... then the other half with reports and working up leads for to repeat it all the next day.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol, in "The Fugitive", Tommy Lee Jones identifies himself as being with "the United States Marshals Office.
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally posted by Juntau
If you are that unhappy being a Police Officer, you are doing everyone out there a favor by getting out.  There are plenty of guys out there who [red]wants[/red] your job.
View Quote

Is thinks ims goings tos keeps mys jobs fors nows.  

Also, it is true that there are plenty of men and women who [b]wants[/b] my job, but a lot of them aren't cut out to do it.

I'm not unhappy as an officer.  I was just a little pissed that night and wanted to vent and inquire about other possibilities in this profession.  This job isn't my life, and although I love the job, if I found something else either within in the same field or something different, I could leave it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top