Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 1:52:55 PM EDT
Looks like I am going to Basic Sniper School.  This is something new for me, never really got into the long range stuff.  I need some opinions about the rifle.  I will be buying this myself.  Due to a shoulder injury years ago, I am going to have to stay with .223.  I am leaning toward the Savage Tactical bolt action.  Any others I should consider?  Maybe one of the heavy barrel ARs?  I need to to get into it as cheap as I can.  Any help is deeply appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
have you checked out the Remington 700P LTR's??

the .223 has a 20" fluted bull barrel - very accurate right out of the box...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
On the AR side, I am leaning toward the Bushmaster V-Max or the DPMS Bull 24.  Good? Bad? Indifferent?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
On a thought, WOuld say, a Springfield SAR-8 .308 do what I want as far as a sniper rifle.  Maybe the gas operated rifles would not be as bad.  Would the accuracy be there on par as the other rifles mentioned?  I can get one of them in the $750 range.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The Remington 700 LTR in .223 is an excellent rifle.  I LOVE mine...you can sometimes find them used for $600.  Optics is what is going to smack you. [slap]

Honestly, if this is to be your duty weapon, and you have a low budget, I would get a Remington....period.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On a thought, WOuld say, a Springfield SAR-8 .308 do what I want as far as a sniper rifle.  Maybe the gas operated rifles would not be as bad.  Would the accuracy be there on par as the other rifles mentioned?  I can get one of them in the $750 range.
View Quote

A Greek SAR-8 (with the stamped receiver) is a 1 MOA gun or better with match ammo.  BUT, this is a BIG BUT, it will kick the shit out of you...and it sounds like that's a concern.  I have a Greek SAR and an HK91...and recoil is,let's say, stout.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like I am going to Basic Sniper School.  This is something new for me, never really got into the long range stuff.  I need some opinions about the rifle.  I will be buying this myself.  Due to a shoulder injury years ago, I am going to have to stay with .223.  I am leaning toward the Savage Tactical bolt action.  Any others I should consider?  Maybe one of the heavy barrel ARs?  I need to to get into it as cheap as I can.  Any help is deeply appreciated.
View Quote

are you in a mostly urban or rural or a good mix of the two environment?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I would stay with the Remington, you will not be disapointed. I have one in .308, M5 barrel and sits in an Accuracy International Chassis.
Remington sells as part of their LE program. Has the 700, Pelican case and mounted Leupold tactical 3.5-10 duplex reticle.  I really don't care for the stock though, that can be changed easily. Years ago, and I should have known better, someone convinced me that a Savage is just as good. I sold that puppy and got a real gun- the Remington. Spend the money for the one that you want. There was a Leuplod 2.5-8 on the EE. Also go to snipercountry.com, alot of stuff on there. Also, get a Harris BRS bipod(6-9" swivel). With the .223, you will need to pick you ammo well, it's not going to have the range and penetration as the .308 On the AR15 ammo section there should be a link for ammo choices. I think the Federal 62/69 grain might be a good choice. I fyou don't like the stock STOCK, check out Brownell's, they have a good choice of them. Most people end up building up the factory stock, depends on the user.

Hopefully this helps  Sorry, I just realized that th epackage is only in .223.

Mark

From RemingtonLE.com

The Standard Model 700P is available in time-tested 7mm Remington Mag. and the newly added .300 Remington Ultra Mag cartridge. With exceptional flat shooting capabilities and remarkably high energy retention at extended ranges, the new .300 Ultra Mag is ideal for the extreme and varied demands of long-range security applications.

The standard Model 700P and the Tactical Weapon Systems (TWS) feature composite stocks reinforced with Du Pont Kevlar and fiberglass. They'll stay dimensionally stable in any weather and under the worst tactical situations. The stock is laid up around an aircraft-grade aluminum bedding block that runs up the entire length of the receiver. It has a textured, black, non-reflective finish and comes with sling swivel studs.

The TWS package includes a Leupold® Vari-X™ III (3.5 x 10) scope with a Duplex™ reticle and flip-open lens covers.  A Harris bipod, a Michaels 1" Quick Adjust™ sling with swivels, a rugged Pelican® hard case, and sample of Remington gun care products to round out the system.  It's only available in .308 Win./26"BBL.

Model 700P LTR (Light Tactical Rifle), chambered for .308 Win., .223 Rem., and .300 Rem. SA Ultra Mag.; features a slimmed down stock to improve portability and reduce weight. The flutes in the 20" LTR not only assist in weight reduction and heat dissipation, but are engineered to enhance barrel rigidity for pinpoint accuracy.

Model Caliber Weight (lbs.) Barrel Length Standard Twist Magazine Capacity Order No.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

700P LTR .308 Win. 7½ 20" 12" 4 5739
 .223 Rem. 7½ 20" 9" 4 5737
 .300 Rem. SA Ultra Mag 7½ 20" 10" 3 5681
700P .223 Rem. 9 26" 9" 4 5714
 .308 Win. 9 26" 12" 4 5709
 7mm Rem. Mag. 9 26" 9 1/6" 3 5726
 .300 Win. Mag. 9 26" 10" 3 5718
 .300 Rem. Ultra Mag. 9 26" 10" 3 5735

700 TWS .308 Win. 10½ 26" 12" 4 5711
700 VS LH .308 Win. 9 26" 12" 4 7551

Home | Shotguns | Rifles | Ammunition | Accessories | Training | Support | Sitemap

©2002--Remington Arms Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Several points you might want to consider:

1.  It could be a tax deduction for you.

2.  Might want to look into the new recoil pads from Limbsaver and x-coil I think the 2nd is.

3.  A recoil reducer mounted within the stock such as used by trap shooters may be of benefit.  Brownell's has several kinds.

4.  An aftermarket brake akin to Browning's BOSS unit might be advantageous to both recoil and accuracy.

5.  As to cost, it may be beneficial to keep an eye out for a used rifle.  I was fortunate and picked up a Sako varmint model in .223 several years back that shoots 1/4 to 1/2 moa with good ammo.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you are going .223, I would say go with an AR. Yeah, the bolt gun may be a little more accurate, but for LE work you won't notice it. Yoi  can build an AR that will serve your needs for the same money as the Remington, and have a gun you can swap uppers on and do other things.

Forthe best advice on what/how to build it, see the competiton forum here, those guys can make AR's into lasers.

Don't get me wrong, I love MY LTR .308, but if you are staying with .223 I would have a bull barrel AR all the way.
View Quote

Hey, GS...didn't know you were running an LTR too!  Aren't these little bastards great?  Mine does .4" at 100 with Fed GMM.

And I just bought a suppressor for it too![bounce]

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top