Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 4:11:33 PM EDT
For the last several years I've been donating money to the FOP.  Not once have I looked into where this money is going or who, if anyone, it helps.  Can any of you help me out?  What does the FOP do?  They have a real nice sales pitch but, how much of it is true?  Are they a good organization to support?  Do they really support cops?  If not, what are some good organizations to support?  Should I just keep my money and buy more guns?[:D]  Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
Max.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
At my lodge we use donations to provide Christmas and Thanksgiving for underprivileged children and their families and sponsor youth sports teams just to name a few.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Our company donates a good bit to the local FrOP, because the owner likes their victim support services.  That's his words.  I've never looked into exactly what they do that he likes.  He's not happy with their anti-gun platform, but he strongly believes in at least this one cause.z
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe alot of the money goes to the legal defense fund...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]
As Art in KY said, phone calls are usually from organizations that keep a portion of the proceeds raised for their payment.  You can contact your local lodge about making a direct donation.  Our lodge uses the donations and dues to provide for local families in need through out the year, to help members in their time of need (e.g. expenses from a terminally ill family member), and other member services.  IIRC, our state lodge used some donations to help purchase duty armor for officers whose agency could not provide it.  Our lodge is very supportive of it's officers.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
It is a fundrasing organization that makes the calls. I can only speak about NJ, we never see anything but problems from the State FOP. In fact they supported the administration against 4 long time FOP members. Funny too, since the 4 won in Federal COurt, something called Harassment of Union Officials under the 1st Ammendment
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
My opinion is that giving money to your local lodge is the way to go.  Your donation will then most likly be used to help people in the area that you live.  The lodge that I make donations to uses the money to assist with local officers that are in "great" need.  Most of the money is used to help the elderly and the poor.  Gifts are given to under privileged children and also the elderly in assisted living homes during the holidays.  Recently my local FOP made a sizeable donation to the area's local VFW to help them with a fundraiser to place a monument up for local veterans.

All that being said, I am not a big fan when the FOP hires fundraising organizations to make the unwanted telephone calls and send out mass mailings.  In my area, the local FOP lodges do not practice these tactics.  Only good old fashioned fund raisers.

If you give to your local FOP and have questions, ask them.  Most lodges will be happy to tell anyone the good deads they are doing with your money.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Not meant to hijack the thread, but....

FOP will never get any of my money as long as they continue to pay telemarketers to call my house asking if I want to buy circus tickets or donate.

That crap is embarrassing. I cant count the times someone on the street has brought that up, thinking I might be the person on the phone "begging" for money, while crying "it's for the kids".

Brings down the whole professionalism thing, IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top