Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2013 5:14:06 PM EDT
We have been issuing the 5.11 PC3.300 LightForLife for several years. Some of the guys like it, some don't. They were selected by a support LT who hasn't worked after sunset in 2 dozen years as far as I know. It's OK as far as I'm concerned. Bright, lightweight and the quick charge deal is awesome. Nonetheless it is not being made anymore and the supply has ran out.

I was surprised today to be asked for my suggestion on what to buy. (I'm the Patrol Commander but am not looped in on shit. LT Mushroom here!) It needs to be smallish so it is on the belt at all times and rechargeable in the car. I'm behind the curve on whats hot and new or whats proven and solid. We were previously issued a Streamlight of some variety.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
My unit issues rechargeable Streamlight Strions LED's to our guys.  I ilke them, the LED is the tits compared to the older bulb design.  I also like the easy user operation of the thumb switch, press on once for high, press and hold it to cycle through high, medium and low and release for which setting you want the light to stay on at.  Press twice for strobe.    For a small light it works well as a carry all the time light.  Two things I've noticed with these lights: First the medium and low settings are great when looking for evidence and searching for contraband, like when you are looking narcotics in cars (it avoids the "white out" effect when working in close quarters) and the second is the strobe feature actually has some uses such as disorienting people and its great for signalling back up where you are when their trying to locate your position.  Other lights have these features, but the Streamlight has worked for us pretty damn well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
What's your budget per light?  We are going with the Surefire R1 Lawman.  It is 700 lumens, rechargeable and programmable.  Plus if the batteries die, they can use CR123s for backup.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Rechargeable Mag for main light and Gladius for backup, or Surefire 6P.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Go over to candle power forum.com and get educated on what's out there. Surefire and Stream light are not even on my radar anymore.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go over to candle power forum.com and get educated on what's out there. Surefire and Stream light are not even on my radar anymore.

Or go to batteryjunction.com and look at the Klarus ST11 with I4 charger and a few 18650 or 123 batteries.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Bad thing is that those two are the main players especially in govt contracts.

I would look at some of the stuff by Fenix if you want different but the Surefire stuff is most consistently good IMO
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
After drinking the Surefire coolaid and then switching to Fenix, I finally settled on the good ole Streamlight Stinger LED with a dual switch.  We buy our own lights and the Stinger is the one that most guys end up carrying.  Good amount of light (I believe there can be too much in a handheld), durable, holds a decent charge, not too big on the belt, but big enough to be used as a small club if that's what's already in your hand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or go to batteryjunction.com and look at the Klarus ST11 with I4 charger and a few 18650 or 123 batteries.

These are true statements, but in defense of Stream Light I must quantify it with this observation.  Unless you are working for an agency that is flush with cash, Surefire and other battery powered flashlights are a hard sell.  The only flashlights we have that are issued and battery powered are the Surefires that SWAT and K9 have as weapon mounted lights.  We're Stream Light users for issue flashlights.  Are they perfect and the best, no.  Are they affordable when you have hundreds in service, yes.  While not the top tier in performance, they are acceptable and functional.  They are simple to use and easy to charge in the field.  

I personally carry a 4Sevens LED as a back up to my Strion LED.  My old Surefire 6P sits on my carbine.  I have some guys at work that have great setups they bought, but they are gear and tech junkies, who have researched the subject and appeared to have chosen wisely.  Not all cops fall into this catagory.    

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been carrying the Inova T4 for at least 4 years now.

Still using the same battery and a charge will last all week.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Gladius on my belt and a Streamlight Polystinger LED DS light in the car.  I use the Streamlight the most.  The Gladius is my go to light for tactical purposes.  The Streamlight is my primary searching light and I use it the most during traffic stops and general use.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been carrying the Inova T4 for at least 4 years now.
Still using the same battery and a charge will last all week.

I had an Inova T4 for awhile and, while it worked ok, mine developed a connection problem inside the light that would cause it to work sometimes and sometimes wouldn't work.  I got irritated with it and threw it away.  

YMMV.  I liked it when it worked but once it started malfunctioning, it just pissed me off.  It might have been a fluke.  Glad yours has been working for you.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#12]
We recently switched from the Surefire G2 to the Streamlight Stinger LED's and all of the patrol guys love them.  We got the dual chargers so they can charge them at home and also in the car if they need to.  I believe they are around 300 lumens and have a strobe mode.  We looked at the strion led but they stinger was brighter and still able to be carried on the belt without issue.  We still have some of the rechargeable MagLights but everyone seems to prefer the stinger led.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Been using the Streamlight Stinger for years then switched to the LED version when it came out.  I'ts also issued by our department.  I've never really seen a need to try anything else.  It's always been a great light IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been using the Streamlight Stinger for years then switched to the LED version when it came out.  I'ts also issued by our department.  I've never really seen a need to try anything else.  It's always been a great light IMHO.

+1

Been using mine for 3 years, great light.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Stinger LED.  Batteries are fairly cheap and rechargeable, lifetime warranty, price isn't bad and it puts out alot of light.  Also if the units are already wired for a regular stinger charger, the LED version fits in the same charger.  Also uses the same batteries as the regular stinger
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 on Streamlight Stinger LED.  We've messed with all the rest, 5.11, Pelican, Fenix, Surefire.  Most of our guys have come back to the Stinger.  I carry the Stinger on the belt, and the SL-20 in the war bag.

If you're worried about cost, or weight, the poly-stingers are freaking sweet.  They are much lighter, and they've shown to hold up well to patrol abuse.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I use to use a Surefire 6P but eventually got tired of buying batteries for it. I gave in and used the department issued Streamlight Stinger LED. I wasn't fond of the size but got over it. I love that its rechargable and bright! I can even use this sucker as my mini baton.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#18]
My vote Streamlight Stinger LED DS.  I have 2 Stingers, 1 old XT with an led drop in and the LED DS.  Strions are nice but almost too small in that it's hard for me to effectively hold it under my arm.  The Stinger is what folks around here have drifted too, but I miss the old SL20's.  Saw one with an led drop in and that thing was nice.  Heavy but you can break a lot more with an SL20 than you can with a Stinger.

Andrew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top