Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2002 8:23:17 PM EDT
Hi all,

Thought I'd ask my LEO brothers and sisters about this one.  I'm planning on changing duty weapons but am torn between two.  Here they are:

1) Beretta 92G Elite 2

Pros: I already have the hi-caps, decock only.
Cons: Can't think of any :)  

2) Sig P229 (9mm)

Pros: Size (Can carry off duty and on duty)
Cons: Need hi-caps, giving up 2 rds per mag

I'm probably going to eventually own both... but the second choice will not be for work.  SO... which do I get first?  Thanks ahead of time.

Btw, I went through the academy with a 92FS Inox.  After graduation (and to this date), I've been carrying a SigPro 2009.  My backup is a S&W 342PD and my off-duty is a S&W 3913.  (I know, enough guns already? :))
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you are a LEO, hi-caps should not be a big deal...

The SIG has a spring-loaded de-cocking lever that automatically returns to the "fire" position.  Not so on the Beretta 92 series.  

That means if you train to put the safety on whenever you come to the ready after being pointed in on the target or shooting, you add an extra step with the Beretta: de-cock, then manually flip up the de-cocking lever to the "fire" position.

It also adds a step to your chamber checking and magazine checking.  On the Beretta, the "proper" way to perform a chamber check and magazine check (assuming you are not carrying with the safety on) is bring the gun in with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, thumb cock the hammer with the support side hand, push the slide back about a half inch by gripping the slide halfway between the muzzle and the ejection port from beneath the frame, de-cock with the firing side thumb (right hand technique), then push the de-cocking lever back up into the "fire" position, then perform your magazine check, and back to the ready.  Be careful not to cover your support side hand with the muzzle while performing any part of this technique.  Basically, you have an extra step in an already long enough procedure:  bring in, thumb cock, chamber check, de-cock, flip up, magazine check, back to ready.

Other than that, the Berettas have a notoriously fat frame and long trigger reach.  

I'd pick the gun that fits you better, get good training on it, and practice.

And if you feel that you would carry the SIG when you would otherwise leave the Beretta behind, then I would consider the SIG to have a major advantage.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input.  I've found that an easier way to perform that check is to:

1) Put safety on (assuming it's not a decock only, otherwise skip this step)
2) Hold frame with support hand, point muzzle in safe direction
3) With firing hand, grasp web of grip (with thumb) and top of slide just in front of rear sight (with rest of fingers) and pull slide back far enough to see if there is brass in the ejection port area
4) Release.  Decock if necessary

The whole process is similar to how you'd hold a Glock to take it apart.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:30:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the SIG. I've carried one for a few years now and have only nice things to say about it. It is smaller and lighter than the Beretta, which will come in handy if you have to have it out (or pointed) for any length of time.

If you get the 229 in .40, you can also get .357 SIG and/or 9mm bbls for the weapon and switch them around, for plinking and such.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The whole process is similar to how you'd hold a Glock to take it apart.  
View Quote

I bet that works.  I guess the way I described has a couple of advantages:

*  Your trigger finger is free to insert into the ejection port for a low-light chamber check.

*  Your firing side fingers are clear of the ejection port so you can easily see into the chamber in normal light

*  You don't have to fight the heavy DA spring tension holding the hammer against the slide

I does look like your method will prevent you from throwing live rounds out on the ground because the slide will only travel so far using that technique.  But I guess the important thing is to actually perform a chamber check / mag check and to do it safely.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The SIG has a spring-loaded de-cocking lever that automatically returns to the "fire" position.  Not so on the Beretta 92 series.  
View Quote

He's looking at the Beretta Elite II, which has the "G" style decock only lever.
SD, can't really help on the choice as I carry a Sig 229 on duty, and keep a 92FS in my gear bag for SWAT. They are both sweet shooters, and I would have a hard time picking one over the other.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
oops
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like it's gonna be the Beretta 92G Elite 2.  I found one for $600 NIB.  It was too good of a deal to pass up.  I also found some Beretta 92D's for $350 NIB.  

Thanks again to all for your advice.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Choose whatever you're the most proficient/comfortable with...FWIW, I would go for the SIG...
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I might be a little late to this, but I've owned both the 92FS and the SIG P229 (still have the SIG).

As far as reliability, both are very reliable (feeding, firing and extracting).  However, I had some problems with parts breakage on my 92FS (two firing pins, finish wore off of the backstrap).

Personally, I prefer the P229.  It's more robust than the Beretta and the trigger is a lot better.  I prefer the position of the SIG decocker and the lack of a safety.  I know the 92G still is decock only, but it's a PTA to get at.  However, it's a lot easier to get pre-ban 92-series mags than SIG mags.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:13:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The MOA of the two SiGs would be the same and so your traning would take over in any emergency. You would not have to waste that millisecond thinking about which gun you have or if the safety needs to be dropped. I'd go with them. I would also suggest that you take a look at the SiG 225. Although it is a single stack and you'll give up rounds, it is the best feeling and most intuitive pistol I've found. It, along with the BHP, may well be the best all metal 9mms out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top