Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2012 12:49:47 PM EDT
Does your agency allow it or not?

What are some alternatives? How do they work? I'm doing a bit of research and this seems like a fine place to look.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

What are some alternatives? How do they work? I'm doing a bit of research and this seems like a fine place to look.

in the winter they do or on overly hot days in the summer. Sunny and 70, nope, snowy and Zero, yep.

J-

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

in the winter they do or on overly hot days in the summer. Sunny and 70, nope, snowy and Zero, yep.

J-

This

We used to ALWAYS leave them on no matter what the temp.  But it was due to the computers.  Once we changed them out we stopped leaving the squads on.  I can't even imagine the amount of money we saved, but we have been getting a lot more gear lately

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
We used to until Mr Micromanager decided all cars must be turned off windows up and locked unless being driven.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't idle. Thats me though.

There are occasionally memos that come down on the topic, but IIRC there is no official policy
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We used to until Mr Micromanager decided all cars must be turned off windows up and locked unless being driven.

Yep... common trend with gas prices. Due to battery problems, it is common for the lightbar not to work unless the car is on. So, you want lights on, the car is running.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not referring to during a traffic stop or at a crash, I'm talking about being inside drinking coffee with dispatch and running upstairs to surf the internet hammer out some reports and the like.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If I'm parked at the office or something, it's off.     If I'm sitting stationary running radar, I'll sometimes shut it off, however my plate readers don't run unless the engine is on, so it really depends on if I want to be bothered or not.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
The video system doesn't work unless the car is on. It takes 90-120 seconds for it to boot up.

I have to wonder how much extra strain every component gets subjected to during the voltage drop, then spike, that ocurrs when the car gets started.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#9]
We are discouraged from leaving them idling.  On the other hand, with all the electronics in the vehicles, we replace a lot of batteries.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This.
Quoted:

The video system doesn't work unless the car is on. It takes 90-120 seconds for it to boot up.

And then said Sgt./Lt./Cpt. Micromanager wants to write you up because you ran hot to a call and the first 90-120 secs. of your run isn't recorded as it's supposed to be by dept. policy.  And why isn't your car's GPS tracking your speed?  Why was your MDT turned off?  Don't you know the policy?

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I was wondering about other solutions like plugging the vehicle in (glorified trickle charger/battery tender) or these trunk packs.

Some agencies claimed to save $3,000 per car per year just in saved fuel  by eliminating idling.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I was wondering about other solutions like plugging the vehicle in (glorified trickle charger) or these trunk packs.

Some agencies claimed to save $3,000 per car per year just in saved fuel  by eliminating idling.

Had one of these in a previous car for T&E. Near as I could tell the total cost of ownership was too high and they took up too much space and weight.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not referring to during a traffic stop or at a crash, I'm talking about being inside drinking coffee with dispatch and running upstairs to surf the internet hammer out some reports and the like.

Not allowed.

This.  If you're in the car, idling is OK.  If you run into the building, even for a minute to pee and certainly for two hours, you had better shut it off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Local PD had a car running the other night in front of a movie theater.  The officer was wandering around in the lobby and watching movies for a few hours.

The 4.6L burns .5 GPH at idle.  So figure he burns about $10 in fuel every night that he's at the movies.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm doing a bit of research and this seems like a fine place to look.

If we knew what kind of research, perhaps we could be of more assistance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#17]
When on a call, where you are going inside a store to interview someone, in a home to take a report, or go inside a restaurant to eat, it is expected and required by policy to turn your car off... except K-9, and I support the idea.  I was trained to turn my vehicle off and lock it up when I knew ahead of time I'd be away from it for a period of time.  I just don't know how some guys/gals can just go inside Wal-Mart to handle a shoplifting call, which may take 15-30 minutes depending upon how many statements need to be obtained, etc... and just leave their car running.  I don't like it, and won't allow it.

Obviously on traffic stops, crash scenes, and other various calls where you are in/out of your vehicle in a short period of time, it's not necessary or required.

I have a lot of gear in my vehicle that belongs to me.  I've always been paranoid that someday some jack-ass looking to make a street name for himself would smash out the window and take off with my car... call me paranoid... but cop cars have been snatched in the past.

We also discourage leaving your car on while doing administrative duties such as writing a long report... WEATHER CONSIDERED of course.  All in all, we just ask our guys and gals to be mindful at times and to try to cut back on idle hours/fuel consumption... it's becoming even more important as we approach our $4.15 per/gal budget allowance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Local PD had a car running the other night in front of a movie theater.  The officer was wandering around in the lobby and watching movies for a few hours.

The 4.6L burns .5 GPH at idle.  So figure he burns about $10 in fuel every night that he's at the movies.

Last year we were in a slight budget crunch for a short spell.  Our agency really hammered the idle issue for about three months.  In the end, they claimed we actually reduced our fuel consumption by some 20% overall during that time.  So all in all... if you try and put in the effort, it can make a BIG difference.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last year we were in a slight budget crunch for a short spell.  Our agency really hammered the idle issue for about three months.  In the end, they claimed we actually reduced our fuel consumption by some 20% overall during that time.  So all in all... if you try and put in the effort, it can make a BIG difference.

The fuel savings can be offset when cars won't start due to a weak battery finally dying, and the tow bill it creates.

You are right, leaving the car running in a area where the officer can't monitor the car, especially a public parking lot, is just asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fuel savings can be offset when cars won't start due to a weak battery finally dying, and the tow bill it creates.

You are right, leaving the car running in a area where the officer can't monitor the car, especially a public parking lot, is just asking for trouble.

That's where alternatives come in, I mean those beyond merely shutting the car off. Though I am skeptical of how much battery power various equipment uses while in a loitering mode.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#21]
If I'm in the car it on. If I'm within 50 ft of it, its probably on but locked. If I'm going out of sight of it or inside a building, its off and locked. In the summer when its really hot I may leave it on more readily than when its cooler.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not allowed.

No one here cares. SHOCKING.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's where alternatives come in, I mean those beyond merely shutting the car off. Though I am skeptical of how much battery power various equipment uses while in a loitering mode.

The more eletricity is drawn from, or put into the battery, the shorter the lifespan of the battery.

When we had halogen light based light bars, we were burning up altenators every 6-12 months, and batteries were dying at about the same rate. It's not idling that kills them. It's using all the lights, video systems, MDC, radio, all at once, at 90 mph etc.

That shortens the lifespan of the battery.

My dept went out an bought up old lightbars from other agencies that replaced their's with LED based bars. We weren't going to switch because of cost issues.

Right up until those other agencies found out that with the lower current draw of LED's they were not burning up altenators anymore.

Then we decide to switch as well.

We haven't been killing altenators anymore.

Batteries still last about a year.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#24]
if I'm going into a building its off. if I'm in it, or at an incident its running.
I have TRYED to turn it off while running radar, but I just cant start the car, put it in gear and whip around on a guy in a timely manner
that way.
then of course as others have said equipment draw. I was chatting with a county guy the other night and he turned off his car for about 10 minutes.
we almost needed the jumper cables to get him started again. a dead battery can be deadly in an area where there are only a handful of LE on duty
in the county.  
"I need backup!"
"sure thing! , be there as soon as I can get a civi to stop and give me a jump!"
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Where was the guys supervisor?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm just a moviegoer. I have no information beside what I posted.

Except that there are two theaters in town and a cop at each.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm just a moviegoer. I have no information beside what I posted.

Except that there are two theaters in town and a cop at each.

mostly likley off duty jobs
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#28]
My agency strongly suggests to turn cars off when not neccessary for it to run.  Me, i gotta shut it off and lock it whenever i get out of the damn thing, too many weapons inside to chance it getting taken.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

"sure thing! , be there as soon as I can get a civi to stop and give me a jump!"

There is something to be said about working in a rural area, but this factor can really save your ass.    I've been stuck a couple of times and had people stop and help me.     One guy I found out lives a half mile down the road...  I still owe him a beer, as he was covered in dirt and sweat by the time we got my car out.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Me, I gotta shut it off and lock it whenever I get out of the damn thing...

Same here but for the reasons I mentioned in the GD thread. IA loves to plant drugs in unlocked cars.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here but for the reasons I mentioned in the GD thread. IA loves to plant drugs in unlocked cars.

Are you effin' serious?  My personal opinion is that's just full of WTF!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#32]
If I'm away from my vehicle, it is turned off and locked.  I very rarely leave it idling unattended unless I'm close by and within sight of it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, "Integrity Test".
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, "Integrity Test".

To accomplish what exactly?? To see if you turn it in to your superior, "Hey Sgt. Fickle, internal affairs left this bag of coke in my car." or take it home and snort it?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, "Integrity Test".

To accomplish what exactly?? To see if you turn it in to your superior, "Hey Sgt. Fickle, internal affairs left this bag of coke in my car." or take it home and snort it?

uhh, if you check/properly search your shop at the beginning of your shift and after every suspect that you detain in the back then there shouldnt be any unaccounted for narcotics in your vehicle.

I would think that IAD would have to already be investigaing you before they plant dope on you in some sort of elaborate sting, and also think that it should be pretty obvious if you check your shop at SO time, dont put anybody in the back, then go into a restaraunt on lunch break with the car unlocked and come back and theres a big pileof dope on the front seat of your shop...
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine gets turned off.  Too many chances to steal a squad car here.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Our policy states that we will not leave an unattended vehicle running or unlocked.  Some of us have purchased keyless entry / remote start systems that allow us to park the car and leave it running with the key removed for up to 15 minutes before it shuts itself off.  If someone were to break in and try to steal the vehicle, the engine automatically dies when the brake is applied to try and put it in gear.  

This is great for quick bathroom breaks or in & out of the station when it's 110* outside.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Our cars have a button on the left side of the steering column that you push, then you can remove the keys without the car shutting off. If you try to drive the car with this feature enabled, the car shuts off. Basically it shuts off as soon as you step on the brake to put it in gear. Only downside is that the rear emergency lights come on when you push the button.

Our policy is also not to leave an unattended car idling, which makes perfect sense. I heard not too long ago of an officer that was chasing his own patrol car in the suspect's car and calling it out on his handheld, lol. Personally, if the car isn't moving for a while, I put the key on ACC and shut off the engine. There's no point in letting a car idle all the time unless it's very cold. In the summer I try to find a covered parking spot and again shut off the car. Here, the Crown Vics suffer a lot from vapor locking in the heat.

BTW, I should add that putting narcotics in an officer's car to "test" their integrity is absolute BS; that's entrapment. Are officer's getting written up for this? I smell lawsuit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top