Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2002 10:32:28 PM EDT
I was reading a topic on transporting your long gun and had a question for you guys i have a double barrel shotgun that I keep under the seat of my truck (unloaded)and it is accesable to me. I also keep a box of shells in the glove box and in my "how to own a gun and stay out of jail" book it says longguns don't fall under the concealed gun law so you can keep them concealed as long as they are unloaded so is what I am doing legal?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#1]
From the "General Guidelines for Transporting Firearms in California":

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is considered an assault weapon in California must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.
View Quote

[url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/travel.htm[/url]

Seems you're OK as far the the shotgun, but I can think of a possible problem:

Is the weapon really "unloaded" if the ammo is that close to the the weapon?  How close can the ammo be?

I thnk so, but then I'm not gonna pull you over...
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Registered Assault Weapons must be carried in a locked container.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
this is a coach gun so it isn't exactly a super deadly assault rifle, if the gun is 2 feet away from the ammo and behind the seat I think its considered unloaded because it can't be fired the way it is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You're perfectly legal.  Im a cop in L.A. County, for 12 years, working patrol.  Plus I'm a gun nut and I study the law.

Your shotgun is legal if it's unloaded and concealed in your vehicle.  In CA, a "loaded" gun is considered loaded if a round was in the chamber OR in a magazine THAT WAS/IS ATTACHED (mag-well) TO THE GUN ITSELF.

Since your shotgun wouldn't apply to the last rule because it doesn't have a detachable magazine.  That's for rifles/handguns etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top