Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2011 2:28:21 PM EDT
I will be getting OC'ed around the middle of next week , so i was wondering what would be the best choice for decon after the course? At the moment am leaning towards a mix in a water bottle of baby shampoo and water.

I have done CS gas twice but I heard OC was a whole other level of fun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah water and baby shampoo is probably the best way to go.  Its still going to burn like hell for a while, but thats about all you can do.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My skin being on fire was bad. My eyes feeling like a soldering iron was being stabbed in them was worse.
The gagging/not being able to breathe freely was 100x worse than the other two combined.
REMEMBER TO BREATHE. It took every bit of concentration I had to be able to breathe during decon. During the exercise immediately following the spray it was bad, but there was enough adrenaline and things I had to do that kept it at bay long enough to finish.
It sucks, but it will be one of the more "memorable" days of training.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Suck it up.  

It's not that bad.  We didn't have all these cool options
when I was in .mil.  You got the shit gassed out of you and
you deconed by blowing shot and vomit, and flapping your arms
facing into the non existant wind.

Sure, it's unpleasant.  

Wash away from your eyes and body, and you'll be fine
with lots of water.

I got into it the other day about 1pm with an offender that we gassed
the dog piss out of, and, I was burning up all the rest of the day.
After a while you build up a tolerance.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]
When you shower that night, even if you think you're throughly decontaminated, lean foreword to minimize recontaminated water running down your body and getting on your "baton"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When you shower that night, even if you think you're throughly decontaminated, lean foreword to minimize recontaminated water running down your body and getting on your "baton"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

this, please remember this! hold your head away from your body and lower when you shower that night!
only other advice, is to resist the urge to blink, keep your eyes open.
we had to take down a "suspect" after getting a face full of pepper foam, the pain holds off alot longer if you can keep your eyes open.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:29:02 AM EDT
[#6]

my reply to another thread:

As far as OC goes, as good as the water will feel, the quicker you wash off and get away from it, the quicker it will stop hurting.

I would hose off (which makes it hurt worse for a few minutes) then immediately lather, rinse and repeat at least twice with baby shampoo. This will help break down and wash away the oleoresin. Then get into a fan, if they're available. I did this and I was back to 100% normal in about 25 minutes, virsus 1-2 hours for other people who just kept hosing their faces. Milk doesn't work.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, DO NOT SHOWER STANDING UP WHEN YOU GET HOME. The OC stays in minute quantites, which are just big enough to reactivate on your junk. A cold shower is also better than a hot one because it keeps your pores closed.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd go so far as to say to lean in the bath tub and wash just your face first, then worry about everything else.

Don't bother with milk. A guy in my class tried it and didn't do any good, other than making the grass smell when the milk soured. Baby shampoo and lots of water seems to be the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Remember to bring sunglasses- after I got sprayed my eyes were extremely sensitive to light, even after the effects of the spray had worn off. If one of the other guys had not lent me his, I don't know how I would have gotten home... So learn from me and show up prepared!
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Why do you have to prepare your own decon?

Wont the instructors have something set up for your class?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why do you have to prepare your own decon?

Wont the instructors have something set up for your class?

It wouldn't be as much fun then would it?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Dawn dish soap, lots of it, directly on your face. Followed by lots of cool water, and staying out of the sun for about an hour. OC spray is oil based, so the dish soap works well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Half suave shampoo, and half sugar mixed up really good. Sounds goofy, but I swear by it, as does all my people. Here is a couple of my new guys that got it recently. these pics were taken a minute after spray, but they were done burning in 15 minutes.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Walking created a "slight" breeze once I could see.  Felt good to the face.  Was a no go for about twenty minutes.  Basically, sit tight on the tailgate and bide time.  After being exposed countless times I do not have type of immunity to it. Sucks every time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#15]
There isn't really anything you can do.  Some kind of soap usually helps getting the oily residue off.  I usually bring Palmolive dish soap.  It's still going to burn no matter what.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I got hit at the academy in December.  Dawn dishwashing soap, the stuff they use to get oil off of birds, was the only thing that got that crap out of my eyes.  Hold your breath.  

I cleaned for about 10 minutes, which felt like an hour and a half, till I could no longer feel the oil on my face, then went and air dried.  My whole face was lathered up, inluding my eyes.  Normally soap in your eyes hurts, but I was willing to try anything to get that stuff out.  

It will suck, but if you an do a good decon job, you'll be good to go.  I was good after about an hour / hour and a half.  My buddy who "toughed" it out and just went and sat on a chair paid for his bad choice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got OCed today. We used baby shampoo full strength directly in the eyes (lather up your hands and literally rub your eyes and the insides of your eyelids with your fingers). We then used a garden hose to rinse it off (make sure to apply water so it runs away from your eyes...tilt your head sideways). We got about 2-4 minutes at the hose with shampoo and then they cut us off to make room for others. From then on it was ~10-15 minutes of pure suck (holding my eyes open while facing the wind) and then it started to wear off.

As soon as you're deconed and you can physically bring yourself to do so start blinking your eyes and get natural tears working that stuff out.

Just know that it will get better with time. Don't get demoralized...that being said I would take multiple Taser rides before I got OCed again.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Wednesday is my day.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok that has to be one of the worst things I have done. I completely underestimated it. I completed what I needed to after but I still feel like a wuss was blind for about 2 hours after and for the first 10 mins I was the guy that could barely breath. Hell I can barely read this and its been over 4 hours.

Rather get CS gassed 5 times then OC'ed once.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Sugar. That's what the guys at Fox Lab recommend. It's the main ingredient in their Sudecon decontamination wipes. The wipes are basically just baby wipes with sugar added.

If you eat something that is a bit too hot a piece of candy will do the trick. Preferably suck candy to make it last until the burn is gone.

Your welcome.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sugar. That's what the guys at Fox Lab recommend. It's the main ingredient in their Sudecon decontamination wipes. The wipes are basically just baby wipes with sugar added.

If you eat something that is a bit too hot a piece of candy will do the trick. Preferably suck candy to make it last until the burn is gone.

Your welcome.

Just make sure it's sugar and not salt.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 2:32:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Remember your eye brows. I thought I had it made having no hair to hold it in.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#25]
If it's allowed, don't shave for 24 hours before getting sprayed.  It's not the worst part, but having that extra irritation like you shaved with no water for the next couple hours isn't pleasant either.  I'm not talking about facial hair helping, I'm saying that shaving tends to leave your skin more vulnerable to irritation.

I've been sprayed twice.  Once at a part time security gig, and then two years later during basic.  I didn't bother to tell the instructors until after we all got sprayed that I was already certified. The rest of my class was taking the hit, so I wasn't going be the guy that didn't.

It sucked both times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top