Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2002 9:44:33 AM EDT
I've lived in Georgia all most all my life. I have never been asked for vehicle registration
during a traffic stop, only Driver's License & Proof of Insurance. I don't keep my registration
in my truck out of fear of it being forged if my truck is ever stolen, plus I've
never needed it except to renew my tag or sell a vehicle.

My question is that I read a lot of LEO posts about traffic stops and most of you
say you request the registration, if I'm traveling out of state and do not
have it (because GA cops never ask for it) what would happen to me?

I know, it's kind of a stupid question, but I'm curious. I travel a lot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Out here, there's a registration card and a title.  The reg card is proof of registration only.  The title is the ownership document and the one that you don't want forged.  No reg card can cost you an extra $50 plus the cost of getting a new reg card if you need one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, 50 bucks! That's kind of harsh.
So, I wouldn't get a slide on that even tho it's not
required in my home state?
I guess when I travel, I'll stick it in the glove box.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Most people do not carry their registration with them. Just because we ask, doesn't mean we get it.
Around here, nothing happens if you don't have it. To tell you the truth, the reason I ask for it, is to get them to open the glove box, you would be surprised what falls out sometimes.

A friend of mine pulled a couple over one time for speeding and the female was in the driver's seat and the male was in the passengers. He asked the female driver for proof of insurance. She said she didn't have the card with her. Her husband got this confused look on his face and said,"What are you talking about? It's right here....." as he opened the glove box a bag of marijuana fell out. He had no idea she was smoking it and they got a divorce a few months later.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
In sunny Fl. it's a required piece of information that has to be carried.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't carry my registration with me because I don't want someone to steal my truck and know where I live and all my personal info. I've been asked for registration when stopped in the past. I told the officer I don't carry my registration. He said thats ok and ran my vin number to see if vehicle was stolen. I came back clean. He handed me my liscense and said have a nice day
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It may vary from state to state, but if you want to get down to the letter of the law in Louisiana, the registration (not title) is required to be in possession.  I have written people for it after they were stopped for something else and then failed the attitude test.  You could keep a copy of it in your wallet if you are afraid to have it stolen from your unoccupied vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#7]
It's required in most states that I am aware of.  Like a previous post stated, it's just to get someone to open the glove box. Any cop can get tag information over the radio. Pretty much the same with a D.L.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad I don't live you guys do , I wonder what would happen to me there since I usually have my a spare gun in there . Here in Wa they don't even bat an eye when they see what's in my glove box  which surprised the heck out of me the first time .
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
out of state they can only hold you accountable for what your home state requires.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
In La. its like sf46 stated, it is required. If you are worried about it, run off a copy on a copy machine and carry that. I will bar-b-que that a-- without it being presented when asked for.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In La. its like sf46 stated, it is required. If you are worried about it, run off a copy on a copy machine and carry that. I will bar-b-que that a-- without it being presented when asked for.
View Quote

Damn, that's HARDCORE!
[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top