Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2011 3:46:48 AM EDT
Can anyone describe what a meth lab smells like from the outside?  I have noticed a strange chemical smell outside my house for the last few mornings.  I am only smelling it on the side of my property that faces a house that I suspect belongs to a drug dealer.  The residence in question is about 300 feet from mine.  It's a faint chemical smell and I would swear I've smelled it before in high school science class but can't put my finger on what it reminds me of.  I would appreciate any viable input on this.  Yeah, I know I need to move.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:49:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Ammonia, ether, rotten eggs, sulfur, cat piss.....it goes on and on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone on this board once described meth cooking as smelling like a burning shower curtain.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply TxSgt.  Now that you mention it sulfur may be it.  I can't think of any reason why that particular odor would be normal in a resedential neighborhood.

I may just go ahead and consult my friendly neighborhood narcotics detective just in case.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the type of meth "cook".  It can be a strong odor of ammonia if it's an Anhydrous lab.  For a Red-P lab its more likely to have an odr thats similar to a acidic/acrid solvent smell.  Similar to a body shop but with an acidic tint to it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#5]
cat piss...at least to me...always smells like cat piss...
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Talked to a detective today.  He said he would pass it on to the narcotics guys tonight and call me if he had any questions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It depends on the type of meth "cook".  It can be a strong odor of ammonia if it's an Anhydrous lab.  For a Red-P lab its more likely to have an odr thats similar to a acidic/acrid solvent smell.  Similar to a body shop but with an acidic tint to it.

Are you guys finding people still using the "Red-P" method?

That's like finding someone stll using dial-up internet.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See it all the time.  Anhy is more common but RedP regularly.

Usually a strong chemical smell.  The smell of acetone reminds me of meth labs the most.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't see why Narcs need to get involved (ultimately they will if it's valid). One time I responded to a suspicious smell in an apartment complex. The originating apartment's tenant wouldn't answer the door, so we had the Fire Dept. respond who in turn did some sort of air quality test and determined that there were in fact toxic fumes present. After that we had sufficient concern (PC) to enter. It ended up being a lab, afterwhich Narcs took the investigation over.

All I'm saying is don't wait for a reply from them too long, those chemicals will mess you up. Specially if you have kids. I don't understand why they didn't dispatch cars immediatelly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't see why Narcs need to get involved (ultimately they will if it's valid). One time I responded to a suspicious smell in an apartment complex. The originating apartment's tenant wouldn't answer the door, so we had the Fire Dept. respond who in turn did some sort of air quality test and determined that there were in fact toxic fumes present. After that we had sufficient concern (PC) to enter. It ended up being a lab, afterwhich Narcs took the investigation over.

All I'm saying is don't wait for a reply from them too long, those chemicals will mess you up. Specially if you have kids. I don't understand why they didn't dispatch cars immediatelly.

They may have sent an officer right away.  We went to the store about 15 minutes after I called.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its about 50/50. Our labs have gone down a ton. We went from about 200 a year to 25.  An active meth lab team and psuedo legislation helped knock it down. Plus the stuff we were pulling off the street was 90% or better. Of what we tested most was around 97% pure.

It wasn't worth the risk to roll your own when the stuff from mexico is so much better and less risk.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its about 50/50. Our labs have gone down a ton. We went from about 200 a year to 25.  An active meth lab team and psuedo legislation helped knock it down. Plus the stuff we were pulling off the street was 90% or better. Of what we tested most was around 97% pure.

It wasn't worth the risk to roll your own when the stuff from mexico is so much better and less risk.

The thing about Hi/Red Phosphrous labs, is that if you are doing it right, there is not nearly as much odors produced as with the Nazi/Birch method.  The big thing we are seeing now are a lot of the Shake and Bake or One Pot cooks.  These are being used a lot with people driving around in vehicles and doing it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
All the ones I've encountered smelled like cat piss too me...
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Check out the big brain on brett!

:D

Where'd you learn that Cheech, drug school?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#15]
ammonia/ether
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Shake and bake here lately.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Pour a bottle of nail polish remover into an empty 5 gallon bucket and stick your head in there.  When you get through throwing up, remember that smell.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the previous posters pretty much described the chemical smell associated with methamphetamine production.  I hope you have had your questions answered or your situation resolved.  If not, IM me, I might be able to help.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#19]
You could prob ask this guy...he was seen holding a 1 pot lab right before it exploded...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#20]
In my experience every lab that I have encouered smelles like starter fluid to me, we too have also seen a big increase in the shake and bake style labs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 on the starter fluid. Most FD initiated contact is from an "odor investigation" from the ether or ammonia. Most civi's pass on calling the ammonia as they think some one is cleaning (unless its REALLY strong).
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

cat piss...at least to me...always smells like cat piss...

So a meth lab smells like XM193?

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

all shake and bake here in NW FL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top