Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2011 4:55:22 PM EDT
Just wondering what your department gives you per year.

Were at $300 this year.

Not much at $75 for a pair of uniform pants.

ETA: we did get full gear and boots when I started...this covers any needed gear except vest which are given every 5 years. Cleaning and tailoring are no charge.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
$0

But we are issued everything except lights, boots, gear bags, and gloves.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
$0

Issued as in when you start? A one time deal?
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My current department calls it a "Uniform Maintenance Allowance" (same with the department I retired from).  Currently it is about $500 a year and the old department was about $750 a year if I recall right.  The first department supplied and replaced things pretty easy, like five new uniforms a year whether you needed them or not, a new vest every five years, web gear as needed.  At one time I had a duty HK USP, a SW lady smith back up, a Bushmaster AR, an MP5 SD and a Rem 700 - all issued.  The current department supplies everything, too, but replacement is one for one.  Turn in a worn out item and it gets replaced.  The allowance is to cover cleaning,  We buy our own shoes.  Normal poly class "A" and "B" uniforms, polos, 511 tac pants, guns, web gear, vests, radios are supplied.  I can say I have been fortunate that I never have to worry about buying uniforms and even get a little extra to cover cleaning.  I do buy a lot of crap on my own like flashlights, bags, and gear - but it's stuff I want, not required.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have complaints about where I work just like everyone does but this is one thing they do take care of us on.

If we need anything we go see the quarter master.

The only thing I've ever had to buy for duty use out of pocket was a BUG, a knife, and underwear.

Some things I've upgraded out of pocket and I've purchased some non essential cop toys, but they are very good about giving us what we need to do the job.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
We get issued everything as new hires and get replacement items when needed. This includes our choice of small or large flashlight, handcuffs, etc... The only thing we buy for ourselves are footwear, knives and back up guns. We recently got issued earpieces, even though many of us had spent our own money for years. We get about $60/year as a 'uniform upkeep' reimbursement, which I suppose is to cover the cleaning and care of it all. I can't complain.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
$1300 per year

Edit: Just checked my contract. $1140 per year

Edit 2: We get issued 2 winter/ 2 summer uniforms, hat, gun, straight baton, belt and accessories, and body armor up to level IIA (they pay the average between the top 3 brands, if you want a level III you pay the difference.)
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$1300 per year

Edit: Just checked my contract. $1140 per year

Contract...man that's the shit I miss from the North East
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Each Deputy gets a vest, a radio (shoulder mic only for SGTs and above), radio holder, a badge, 4 sets of patches (for a total of 8), and a pin for the tie.

Everything else we have to buy and provide. Uniforms, duty gear, etc.

ETA: Thats what we get when we sign on. Every year, each deputy gets 2 sets of patches. If the vest is more than 2 years past it's expiration date, it gets swapped out, if there are newer vests you can swap out to.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
We used to be $1,000 per year but we got cut to $650 this year.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
We do not get an allowance per se.  When we join we receive pretty much everything you need starting out minus a firearm, knife, boots, and shoulder mic.  They replace our uniform as needed but have become more stingy since the budget has been lowered.  I cannot complain one bit after reading some of the other posts of guys who have to replace pieces of their uniform with a minuscule allowance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
0$

and i have spent several hundred dollars for my own equipment ie flashlights, knives, cuffs, car supplies
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
$0

$0 also, but we get everything.  I thought they took better care of you guys Narc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#13]
We get issued everything....except personal items you choose to add, like gear bags, gloves, other cool toys etc...We also get a $150 every two years for a boot allowance.  Uniforms are issued when yer hired and when u wear em out or damage them u just bring em by and get a new set.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:13:05 AM EDT
[#14]
$675.

They issue a baton, handcuffs, CPR maks, disposable earplugs, 2 badges, ID card, key, and an electroic passcard.

Then everything else, handgun, leather gear, uniforms, hats, flashlights, has to be purchased.

Vest are issued and replaced as needed, with annual inspections.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#15]
We have a basic issue list for new hires thats horribly outdated, so much of what we're issued nowadays isn't actually on it. Annual clothing allowance of $350. Doesn't go far when a uniform is $150 and dry cleaning runs ten bucks a uniform.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 4:43:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Approximately $600 after taxes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Every year we get an $800 credit with our uniform supplier.   Most of our duty gear and equipment is issued or provided to us.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#18]
$1500.00 Uniform allowance check.

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#19]
$8xx.xx after tax, usually pays for whatever new gun i want that year...

woops did I say that?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Used to be $500 a year, now they are going to a voucher system, where we will get a $500 voucher to spend at whoever bids lowest (it will be [redacted], because they can afford to drop their insane prices for a year just to put the other uniform contractors out of business.)  Not a lot of help for those of us in plainclothes, and the bid process is not started yet, so we'll likely see nothing this year, or see it way late––-we used to get it right after Mardi Gras.  As for issued equipment, we get one shirt badge, one hat badge, one photo ID, one Glock 22, 2 magazines for a Glock 22, one radio with charger, and one PR-24.  Everything else is purchased and maintained by us, including duty ammo and qualification ammo (though some folks get a Taser issued.)
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I think ours is $1250 divided between 2 checks, one in jan and one in july.

J-
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Annually - $700 / Every 5 years - $600 towards body armor / Uniforms - Free
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Each Deputy gets a vest, a radio (shoulder mic only for SGTs and above), radio holder, a badge, 4 sets of patches (for a total of 8), and a pin for the tie.

ETA: Thats what we get when we sign on. Every year, each deputy gets 2 sets of patches. If the vest is more than 2 years past it's expiration date, it gets swapped out, if there are newer vests you can swap out to.

what gives???

we get $800 a year divided between two checks, everything else provided minus boots.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#24]
We get about $900.00 a year. We get issued vest (replaced every 5 years), basic duty belt set up, holster, Sig P226,2 mags, ammo, 870 shotgun, Colt AR, X-26 Taser, OC, expandable baton, flashlight, 1 set of cuffs, riot gear with helmet, and gas mask, radio with holder (gotta buy your own paddle mic unless you're a Sgt.) Replacements if something is lost or damaged.

We buy our own uniforms, bags, jackets, boots,  knives, gloves, BUG. Our department decided on uniforms that don't need to be dry cleaned which is nice. Department will throw you up to $200 a year for stuff you bought yourself but got damaged during work (boots, pants, glasses etc...)
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#25]
By contract, we get a single check each Jan 1 comprised of $700 clothing allowance, $700 dry cleaning allowance. All equipment is initially issued, in addition to this check. Any uniform or duty item damaged at work is replaced by the department. Vest are replaced, at department cost, on or before the expiration date. Pistols, shotguns, and Tasers are issued. Duty ammo is issued, and 1200rds practice ammo is issued, separately from any allowance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what gives???

we get $800 a year divided between two checks, everything else provided minus boots.

The deputies kept breaking them stoppin' bar fights, getting soaked while directing traffic, etc. One deputy went through 3 shoulder mics in one year. So, they stopped providing them. If you want one, you gotta pony up the money for one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Two installments of $850 per year. When I started, we were issued uniforms, a gun (if we wanted an issued one) and a radio. Everything else was on us. Now, they issue nylon gear.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If the vest is more than 2 years past it's expiration date, it gets swapped out, if there are newer vests you can swap out to.

A newer vest you can "swap out to"? So you are potentially wearing a vest that was built for another officer? Do your admins understand that they can get new vests for everyone with grant money?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the vest is more than 2 years past it's expiration date, it gets swapped out, if there are newer vests you can swap out to.

A newer vest you can "swap out to"? So you are potentially wearing a vest that was built for another officer? Do your admins understand that they can get new vests for everyone with grant money?

They probably don't care. We only got new one's because the department and city were publicy shamed into getting them for us after a cop was shot.

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Potentially, yes. If there is one that is a good enough fit mind you. If not, then you are sized and another is ordered for you. My vest was not sized specifically for me. I had to tried on 2 or 3 vests before I found one that fit me well enough.

We are given enough grant money for three or four vests a year, out of a 30 man department (including reserves like me).
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We are given enough grant money for three or four vests a year, out of a 30 man department (including reserves like me).

Seems to me you guys need  a grants guy who is better at pulling in the grant funding.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to me you guys need a grants guy who is better at pulling in the grant funding.

The sheriff handles our grants, and no one else is willing to do it.

I'm turning in my resignation to the sheriff in a couple of days. I finally got hired on full time with another department, so I'll let them worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what gives???

The deputies kept breaking them stoppin' bar fights, getting soaked while directing traffic, etc. One deputy went through 3 shoulder mics in one year. So, they stopped providing them. If you want one, you gotta pony up the money for one.

gotcha
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Damage caused in the line of duty. They should be covering that sort of expense. It doesn't sound like frivilous damage. Mics getting soaked? So they aren't even buying the weather-resistant models?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Damage caused in the line of duty. They should be covering that sort of expense. It doesn't sound like frivilous damage. Mics getting soaked? So they aren't even buying the weather-resistant models?

Nope, they are too expensive. It's also too expensive to keep replacing them year after year.

Trust me guys, I could make a long post with all the stuff that makes me go , and half the BOTS's heads would explode.

Keep in mind: a regular deputy only make $28,000 gross a year.

We've got 8 brand new squads sitting in the back parking lot unmarked. 4 have been there since 2008, 3 since 2009, and one they got last year. Safe bet to have back up cars right? The oldest squad on the road has 225,000 miles. The newest squad (for a regular patrol deputy) has 95,000 miles. The average is hovering around 135,000 miles. A squad car blew a transmission about a month ago. Solution? Cheaper to get the transmission rebuilt than to get one of the 8 brand new squads marked.

Last year, we happened to have a budget surplus of $60,000 (no one knows how that happened). Rather than let it go to waste, they bought the sheriff a new 'patrol truck', spent the money getting it outfitted and marked, and presented it to him. His 'old' 'patrol truck'? Got it brand new last year, only has 4,000 miles on it.

Wth the rumor of the demise of the Crown Vics, they bought a bunch of Chevy half ton pick up trucks and turned them into patrol trucks. Big ranch hand grill guards, the works. Problem is, they bought civilian trucks, not fleet trucks. Difference? The civilian trucks have a governor on them. Top speed? 92 miles an hour. They won't pay to have the governors removed because 'it'll void the dealer warranty'.

We have to provide all of our duty ammo. All, meaning handgun, shotgun, and rifle. They provide the rifles and shotguns.

Most of the regular deputies don't have CLEAT or TMPA, as they can't afford the $30 a month.

Don't worry, I won't go on anymore. Just know, it gets worse. Like the K9 handler has to buy food, toys, and whatever meds the K9 might need. Vet bills are actually, quite shocking I'm afraid to say, paid by the department.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#36]
We get an $800 annual uniform allowance.  we are issued radio, vest, pistol and long guns...but that is about it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nope, they are too expensive. It's also too expensive to keep replacing them year after year.

Sounds like the admins need to wake up to what the true cost of doing business is. If the deputies are having duty equipment broken whil in the line of duty, the dept has a moral obligation to replace that stuff, not expect officers to do so.

Sounds like your admins need to wake up and push back from their desks that they've been flying too long.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like the admins need to wake up to what the true cost of doing business is. If the deputies are having duty equipment broken whil in the line of duty, the dept has a moral obligation to replace that stuff, not expect officers to do so.

Sounds like your admins need to wake up and push back from their desks that they've been flying too long.

And they wonder why they have officer retention rate issues....
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#39]
$950 per year paid half in January and half in July.

Most years, I spend it on a new gun or gun stuff. Every 3 years or so I will buy a couple pairs of pants and maybe a shirt as needed.

When hired we got issued everything.  The vest gets replaced by the dept every 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#40]
New hires are issued everything they need, to include uniforms, weapons, equipment, boots, vest, etc (including radio and wireless collar mic).  Vests are replaced by the department every five years as they expire.  Department pays for everything damaged in the line of duty.  Annual uniform allowance comes in the form of a $700 check each year in January.

I can't complain.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#41]
$2000 per year pain in quarterly $500 installments.  It is a solid allowance for sure but it was done to give guys a raise without raising the amount retirees get paid (they get a percentage of base pay).

Everything is provided to new hires except long guns but they don't get the allowance the first year.  With that allowance we are required to replace worn and broken items but that isn't unreasonable with what we get.  

I buy a lot of ammo with mine.

ETA: New hire equipment is 3 long sleeve shirts, 3 short sleeve shirts, 3 pais of pants, leather belt and all holders/holsters, vest, shoes, Sig 229, 3 magazijes, Asp, OC, 1 pair of handcuffs, Streamlight flashlight, radio, and Taser.  I recommend to my recruits to go get a 2nd pair of cuffs, a backup light, and a good pair of duty boots but most everything is covered.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
$0

$0 also, but we get everything.  I thought they took better care of you guys Narc.

No our mayor would love it if he could fire half of us or pay us minimum wage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
$0

Issued as in when you start? A one time deal?

Not a one time deal. If shit tears or breaks they'll give us new stuff, eventually.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

shoulder mic for SGTs and above really?

man I thought our PD had it bad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:34:45 AM EDT
[#45]
here in south GA they give us everything we need (for the most part). We do not get any $ but they have given me 5 summer shirts / 3 winter shirts, 5 pants, boots, vest IIIA, hats, flash lights, cuffs, gun leather gear, ammo and other stuff. If I break any of it they give me new stuff.

If you want cool gloves, ear mic, knife and other misc stuff it comes out of your pocket. It is funny how I bitch and then i read some of the other post Then again I know a place that gives you 600 a year plus what ever the hell you could ever want in gear plus twice what I make and people still bitch.

lol gotta love cops
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
here in south GA they give us everything we need (for the most part). We do not get any $ but they have given me 5 summer shirts / 3 winter shirts, 5 pants, boots, vest IIIA, hats, flash lights, cuffs, gun leather gear, ammo and other stuff. If I break any of it they give me new stuff.

If you want cool gloves, ear mic, knife and other misc stuff it comes out of your pocket. It is funny how I bitch and then i read some of the other post Then again I know a place that gives you 600 a year plus what ever the hell you could ever want in gear plus twice what I make and people still bitch.

Could be worse. Here you have to pay for everything yourself except vest. When I got hired they gave me the vest but I had to replace it on my own dime after it expired. They recently gave us new ones but only because they were shamed into it after a officer was shot.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#47]
$1100 annual allowance.  

We issue a Glock 22 with TLR-1 light and a Safariland 6280 holster.  The rest of the gunbelt and accessories are taken care of by the officer.  Other issued items are Colt 6920 with M21 reflex sight, Surefire light, tac sling, VFG, AN/PVS-7 or AN/PVS 14 NVG's, Radio with charger, 2 Remington 870's (1-lethal, 1-non lethal), fully outfitted CV car, a digital tape recorder and a new vest every 5 years.

In addition to all this, The Sgt's get a handheld FLIR (Thermal imager), and a Surefire Supressor for their rifles along with a mount for the PVS14.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#48]
We get no official allowance, but allegedly are allowed to pick through the uniform room if we need anything.  To this day I don't even know where this room is.  Luckily, as a crime scene tech I am allowed to wear BDU's or TDU's, so I just buy them myself (professional expense writeoff on my taxes) and take them to the cop shop to get the patches sewn on.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#49]

$950 uniform allowance.

$540 equipment allowance.  

Comes on the first check of the year.

John

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#50]
0$ and we don't get issued anything except uniforms. No replacements available unless you exchange them at supply for other "used" uniforms.

Our department sucks in that arena.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top