Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 10:02:09 AM EDT
Sadly that's years in the job, not my age..

It was rather indelicately pointed out to me that I've been doing this longer than a third of my shift have been alive....................
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
My old side partner just started his 25th year.
Don't retire - the young guys need to be shown the right way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#2]
If it still makes you feel any better, you've been on the force 4 years longer than I've been alive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]
We have to do 30 years for a full pension..............fortunately I'm still enjoying what I do, as long as I can keep getting through the fitness tests.......
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
You are easy street now mister.....I retired after 30 years back in 2008....my last couple of years seem to just fly by!

I got the same treatment from my younger co-workers....Many had never seen a revolver and I had handcuffs older than most of them....!

Of course now I am back working as a part-time LEO.....it is hard to hang up the spurs completely "Cold Turkey".....

Stay safe out there partner.....!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad just hit 42 years as a city cop.  He hopes to retire in January if everything goes as planned.
Congrats
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll go get your walker gramps

I just turned 26, and it bugs the crap out of the guys at work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Having been hired at age 21 and now only being 24 with ohhhh, 24 years to go minimum, I have no idea how you feel
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]
hey thats how old i am

i for one am glad you fellas stick around, we would be a lost bunch without ya....and its fun hearing the stories
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Yesterday I turned 36, so don;t feel bad. We all have to grow old.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:20:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My dad just hit 42 years as a city cop.  He hopes to retire in January if everything goes as planned.
Congrats

42 years! Now that is impressive. Makes me feel like a rookie again..........
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's just scary. I used to be quite happy following the 'old hands' into the shitstorm. Now there's no-one in front of me...........
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#13]
My first two years on patrol, I worked with an old, salty patrol officer who had been on the job two weeks longer that I had been alive. I took every opportunity to pick his brain, listen to his stories and learn everything I could from him. He's not a go-getter anymore (as far as proactive stuff), but he'll do anything for ya, take a report in a heartbeat and when absolutely necessary, layeth the smack down if there aren't any youngsters like me who are itching to do it for him around. Just let him recover his unoccupied stolen vehicles and stay out of his way.

Us "rookies" (I have 5 years on) look up to you "old" guys, whether we like to admit it or not. Thanks for paving the way for us.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My first two years on patrol, I worked with an old, salty patrol officer who had been on the job two weeks longer that I had been alive. I took every opportunity to pick his brain, listen to his stories and learn everything I could from him. He's not a go-getter anymore (as far as proactive stuff), but he'll do anything for ya, take a report in a heartbeat and when absolutely necessary, layeth the smack down if there aren't any youngsters like me who are itching to do it for him around. Just let him recover his unoccupied stolen vehicles and stay out of his way.

Us "rookies" (I have 5 years on) look up to you "old" guys, whether we like to admit it or not. Thanks for paving the way for us.

It will sneak up on you before you know it, as I have finally realised...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats

One of my Sgt's is about to hit 44 years.  His pants don't reach his shoes, and he still carries his radio in his hand instead of on his belt, but the man knows policing.  He is a wealth of old-school REAL policing knowledge, but sometimes it is very hard to find the time to talk to him.  He is one of 2 police officers I have ever known that won't be able to give up the job without giving up his life.  The other passed away a little over a year ago after he was made to retire for medical reasons.  They literally live and breathe for this career and once it's gone, they have no reason to hang around.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats

One of my Sgt's is about to hit 44 years.  His pants don't reach his shoes, and he still carries his radio in his hand instead of on his belt, but the man knows policing.  He is a wealth of old-school REAL policing knowledge, but sometimes it is very hard to find the time to talk to him.  He is one of 2 police officers I have ever known that won't be able to give up the job without giving up his life.  The other passed away a little over a year ago after he was made to retire for medical reasons.  They literally live and breathe for this career and once it's gone, they have no reason to hang around.

Well I can retire just before my 53rd birthday, so I'd like to hang around for a bit longer................................
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats

Well I can retire just before my 53rd birthday, so I'd like to hang around for a bit longer................................

I certainly hope you do stay around.  I Hate losing brothers, even retired ones.  The camaraderie in this career is what makes it much more than a job.  Those 2 officers I spoke of are proof of that.  It's like couples that have been married for 60 years, if 1 passes, the other usually goes right behind, just out of heartbreak.  The officer that passed last year was married to this lifestyle, and losing it broke his heart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top