Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 7:05:41 PM EDT
Thinking of relocating in the next few years, so a lateral transfer would have to be considered.

How's this work out, and what do the salaries look like?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you want to be a chef at a fast food place or an executive in a large company?  I think we could use some more info.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
...well we're in the BOTS forum...  kinda figured that one was obvious

I'm NYPD. Talking about the various TX PDs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Back when i was looking into cop jobs( 4 years ago) most were paying 35-45k a year as a base salary.  + whatever for college degree or if you spoke another language.  Also it cost a hell of alot less to live in TX compared to NYC.  If you have experience, I guess it depends on the department on how much more they will give you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You wouldn't likely be considered as a lateral for most departments because you would know nothing about Texas and have no prior police experience in Texas.  You could challenge TCLEOSE to get a Basic license but again you might not qualify for a lateral application if the department requires three year and an Intermediate TCLEOSE certificate.  Good patrol pay with several years on is $50,000 in my area.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in South Cental Texas, and I can tell you what most of the Sheriff's Offices around here pay...since thats mostly where I am applying.

Hays County = bit over $40k

Fayette County = $38,500

Travis County Constable's Office = bit over $43k

PDs around me, salary taken from their website:

Austin PD = $52,374

San Marcos Police Department = $46,000

San Antonio Police Department = $44,136 - $60,120

Have any idea where you would like to settle? Panhandle? DFW? Houston? Central Texas?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I make $60K (I think ..... they say it's a sign of being happy if you don't know exactly what you make).

We start at $42Kish.

If you are a lateral transfer, we give you credit for your service time so you would start much higher.

ETA : No furlough days this budget year!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Our cadets graduate making right at 47k.  Pay for an 5 yr Officer is right at 57k.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#8]
WOW, you guys suck.  I have been on for 6 years in a major metro area and I only make right at $30K a year, with a degree.  I know they say we don't do this for the money but an additional 10-15k a year would be pretty freakin nice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#9]
In my department (Dallas suburb), officers start out at $50,892 and top out at $68,208 in 5 1/2 years. The average salary is $69,138 (average salary based on total Police Officers for 2009 including incentive pays).

I think we have one lateral transfer from NY but I'm not sure how that went.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#10]
My department is at 40k starting.  Been with them 2 years and this year I should make right at about 46k.  That is with 2k extra for having a degree and the rest from overtime.  The cost of living in my area is low compared to most.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#11]
It all really depends on where in Texas you want to be or end up. A small PD in BumFuck West Texas may only pay $25k-$30k/year. Where the same size small town in the DFW area may start out $35k-$40k/year. I'm in a very small town in southern Denton County which is one county north of the DFW area and I'm at about $53k/year Sgt. pay. I've just about doubled my starting pay from 11 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't come to Fannin county.  Due to the budget cut, they don't even have money for gas for patrolling.
I believe a deputy starts at $19k working at county jail.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't come to Fannin county.  Due to the budget cut, they don't even have money for gas for patrolling.

WOW!!!!!.....thats rough.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Caldwell County patrol deputies only make ~$25,000.

The running joke is the Caldwell County patrol captains become the new PD SGTs for the town I live in (~5,000 population, only 15 sworn officers). The PD SGTs make substaintial amount more than the County Captains.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had heard through the rumor mill from some other K-9 guys that Fannin County deputies were asked to park visibly at an intersection / side of the road and turn their engine off while they waited for a call?..... True?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Small city in Houston area, two years on with degree, making $55k.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Texas is doing better than most in this economy. BUT...I'm starting to see indications of things slowing down a bit here as well.
Most of the larger agencies are continually hiring. But budgets for academy classes are getting trimmed.

If I were coming in from out of state, I'd first decide where in Texas I wanted to relocate to.(It's a BIG state) Then see what jobs are available in that area. Start dropping apps, and talking to recruiters.

Agencies are hiring here.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Federal salaries: Dallas, Houston

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top