Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 6:08:26 PM EDT
My nephew Sauer800 will be graduating the police academy in Georgia in a couple weeks.

For a graduation gift I am considering the purchase of a body worn video camera he can wear while on duty.

I have no experience with these little devices but in my research, I found this one manufactured by Digital Ally. http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Technology/News/2010/03/11/Digital-Ally-Begins-Producing-FirstVue-On-Body-Video-System.aspx

I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this brand or have any recommendations on any other body worn video/photo devices.

Any stories how your cam has helped you out is a plus as well.

* ETA: Please, I'm not looking gift ideas. What I am looking for are recommendations on the device I hotlinked or other first hand knowledge or experiences with other body worn cams.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruh Roh, Sauer will see this, then the surprise will lose the surprise affect!!!    I bought a very neat little ink pen that has a video camera built into it.  It charges via USB and uploads the same.  I wore it for every bit of 2, maybe 3 weeks.  Then I just kept forgetting to put it on.  Then I just didn't want to put it on.  Then I got my car with in-car camera, so now I'm happy, as it's always there.  BTW, I am with-holding my congrats til I see a badge pinned on his chest (good luck Sauer).  If your academy cadre is similar to mine 3 years ago, you take the final exam and find out the results as you're getting your uniform on for the graduation.  We lost a couple while we were lining up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoaa, just looked at that thing,  That might be just a bit too big and bulky for his first day out.  Hell, it's too big and bulky my 3rd year out.  Of all the things, looking back, that I would like to have had fresh out the academy, a good sturdy gear bag, a good seat organizer, a metal citation book, and a good holster.  He gets those situated, he'll be good to go for a while.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried any number of gadgets over the years. It's not too long before they're in the momento box. Stick to the basics and tell him to listen to his FTO.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ruh Roh, Sauer will see this, then the surprise will lose the surprise affect!!!    I bought a very neat little ink pen that has a video camera built into it.  It charges via USB and uploads the same.  I wore it for every bit of 2, maybe 3 weeks.  Then I just kept forgetting to put it on.  Then I just didn't want to put it on.  Then I got my car with in-car camera, so now I'm happy, as it's always there.  BTW, I am with-holding my congrats til I see a badge pinned on his chest (good luck Sauer).  If your academy cadre is similar to mine 3 years ago, you take the final exam and find out the results as you're getting your uniform on for the graduation.  We lost a couple while we were lining up.

It is no longer a surprise.   I already asked him if he would use one before the money was spent. Better safe than sorry.

I'll stay positive and say he will be graduating with his class.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I tried any number of gadgets over the years. It's not too long before they're in the momento box. Stick to the basics and tell him to listen to his FTO.

um..ok thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

um..ok thanks

dont listen to the old guys. These video cameras are the wave of the future which will keep you from getting your ass sued off by some dirtbag trying to get rich and ruin your career by lying. I have had mine save me from at least one IAD complaint in the past 6 months. I forgot to turn it on for the first 10 seconds of a call i got last week and now i might not have the evidence i need to keep me from getting fucked over by my department.

These cameras are absolutely essential for peace of mind if anything.

I use a Veho Muvi Cam that i purchased off amazon for 75 bucks. It charges off a usb wire plugged into his patrol car laptop in 30 minutes and records for about 2 hours. With an 8 gig Micro-SDHC card it will record for about two days if you contact 10-12 people a day on traffic, dispatch calls ect, and you can download all the video on a 1 terabyte external hard drive that you can also buy off amazon for bizrate.com for about 100 dollars.

Basically, for less than $200 you can get him the camera, memory card reader, memory card and a hard drive that should store over a years worth of daily activity.

Like i said, thats a huge piece of mind in todays day and age where citizens view you as a walking lottery ticket and will lie about you at the drop of a hat thinking it will get them out of their criminal charges or get them rich quick.

instant message me if you need more details. i can walk you through the whole deal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:07:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I would not buy him one until you are sure that he will be able to use it.  They are a no go for my department becuase there is no policy written saying how the department will use the video (i.e. punishment against the officer).  Some people here will say that I am wrong, but I wouldnt want you to waste the money.  Every cop that is worth his salt has a box in the garage of gear that he just had to have and turned out not to like.  I dont want your gift to end up there, and his FTO will probably chew him a new ass for wearing it on the first day of FTO.  Buy him a nice engraved folding knife or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:35:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would not buy him one until you are sure that he will be able to use it.  They are a no go for my department becuase there is no policy written saying how the department will use the video (i.e. punishment against the officer).  Some people here will say that I am wrong, but I wouldnt want you to waste the money.  Every cop that is worth his salt has a box in the garage of gear that he just had to have and turned out not to like.  I dont want your gift to end up there, and his FTO will probably chew him a new ass for wearing it on the first day of FTO.  Buy him a nice engraved folding knife or something along those lines.

BIG +1

Its not a bad idea just not a good idea for a rookie just starting out.  That is the kind of gift you give someone when they get off of FTO and are on their own.  Make sure the department they work for allows it and then go hog wild.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:14:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIG +1

Its not a bad idea just not a good idea for a rookie just starting out.  That is the kind of gift you give someone when they get off of FTO and are on their own.  Make sure the department they work for allows it and then go hog wild.

What is your reasoning that it isn't a good graduation gift? FTO isn't forever. Already checked on policy and confirmed GTG.    I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:25:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks. The engraved folding knife would end up in the sock drawer, I'm sure.  

Folks, I really do appreciate your concern about the idea of the cam after FTO, Department policy, Rookie nonsense and all that.  Believe me. I have it all squared away.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

um..ok thanks

dont listen to the old guys. These video cameras are the wave of the future which will keep you from getting your ass sued off by some dirtbag trying to get rich and ruin your career by lying. I have had mine save me from at least one IAD complaint in the past 6 months. I forgot to turn it on for the first 10 seconds of a call i got last week and now i might not have the evidence i need to keep me from getting fucked over by my department.

I use a Veho Muvi Cam that i purchased off amazon for 75 bucks. It charges off a usb wire plugged into his patrol car laptop in 30 minutes and records for about 2 hours. With an 8 gig Micro-SDHC card it will record for about two days if you contact 10-12 people a day on traffic, dispatch calls ect, and you can download all the video on a 1 terabyte external hard drive that you can also buy off amazon for bizrate.com for about 100 dollars.

Basically, for less than $200 you can get him the camera, memory card reader, memory card and a hard drive that should store over a years worth of daily activity.

Like i said, thats a huge piece of mind in todays day and age where citizens view you as a walking lottery ticket and will lie about you at the drop of a hat thinking it will get them out of their criminal charges or get them rich quick.

instant message me if you need more details. i can walk you through the whole deal.

I've been thinking about getting the same one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029631VI/ref=ord_cart_shr

If his agency allows it, why not get him another tool to have available?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:56:04 AM EDT
[#12]
my first question is how "small" is it. I already wear more than I would like too and truthfully when i chase and tackle and fight most of what I WAS wearing has too be picked up on the walk back to the car. If it is any bigger than my cell phone I just couldn't bring myself to wear it. I myself would like to have something more simple aka voice recording pen or something. But I am not above trying something like that out.

I would say get it and give it a try. if it saves your ass once it was worth the money. note to you sauer don't show up the first day at work wearing the damn thing, your FTO doesn't want you recording him violating policy
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:08:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
my first question is how "small" is it. I already wear more than I would like too and truthfully when i chase and tackle and fight most of what I WAS wearing has too be picked up on the walk back to the car. If it is any bigger than my cell phone I just couldn't bring myself to wear it. I myself would like to have something more simple aka voice recording pen or something. But I am not above trying something like that out.

I would say get it and give it a try. if it saves your ass once it was worth the money. note to you sauer don't show up the first day at work wearing the damn thing, your FTO doesn't want you recording him violating policy

Bingo.

Another one I am looking at is smaller than a pack of juicy fruit gum.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:37:38 AM EDT
[#14]
When he makes an arrest the defendants attorney will always file for what is called "Discovery".  This asks for any and all evidence related to the case.

If copies of the body cam tape are not submitted for every arrest, and possibly traffic violation, he violates discovery. Eventually he will get caught and then every case he was involved with will be in jeopardy.

It is not worth the aggravation in my opinion.

Secondly, if he was a new recruit and I was his training officer I would have him keep that thing in his locker. He also would get ridiculed to no end by his co-workers.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:48:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When he makes an arrest the defendants attorney will always file for what is called "Discovery".  This asks for any and all evidence related to the case.

If copies of the body cam tape are not submitted for every arrest, and possibly traffic violation, he violates discovery. Eventually he will get caught and then every case he was involved with will be in jeopardy.

Secondly, if he was a new recruit and I was his training officer I would have him keep that thing in his locker. He also would get ridiculed to no end by his co-workers.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

He's right.

Not to mention if he is savig files somewhere, that file system needs to be secure, and could also be open to "discovery". So if he is on the 'net looking at non-work related stuff , or has all his personal info stored on the same system, that might be subject to diecovery.

Why not a nice tactical flashlight?

Do the patrol cars have video where he will work?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is no longer a surprise.   I already asked him if he would use one before the money was spent. Better safe than sorry.

I'll stay positive and say he will be graduating with his class.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
.......... note to you sauer don't show up the first day at work wearing the damn thing, your FTO doesn't want you recording him violating policy

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:27:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree that these little cameras will save your ass!  I have 10yrs experience as a LEO in Ohio (pt-timer).  Came to Georgia for a full time spot and a change of pace.  I already have a junk drawer/box/hamper....etc with stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIG +1

What is your reasoning that it isn't a good graduation gift? FTO isn't forever. Already checked on policy and confirmed GTG.    I appreciate it.

He's just starting out and needs to figure out how to be a cop right now.  Getting him more stuff to try to figure out that is not issued to him from his department is only going to put more on him.  Trust me when I say that if the department is worth their weight his training program isn't going to be a walk in the park.  He won't need the extra stress of trying to figure out  a) How to use it, b) Where to put it c) Where to store the files, d) The legalities of the files etc etc etc

Almost every officer will tell you the first two years are spent buying gadgets, tools and gear that they think they "have to have" but ends up in a box in the garage.  

One graduation gift I received that I still have to this day is a Law Enforcement Commemorative Coin.  I love it because it was special to our profession and was a well thought out gift.  You can still find them around the net if you search enough.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
 * ETA: Please, I'm not looking gift ideas. What I am looking for are recommendations on the device I hotlinked or other first hand knowledge or experiences with other body worn cams.

I was going to give you a gift idea but if you are sold on this device I'll just say that I wouldn't recommend something like this.

It opens a whole new box of issues.

Congrats Sauer800, hope you make it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to give you a gift idea but if you are sold on this device I'll just say that I wouldn't recommend something like this.

It opens a whole new box of issues.

Congrats Sauer800, hope you make it.

Thanks BiteDog!!  Only a handful of class days left.  Graduation is the 17th.  What did you have in mind for a gift?  Sorry to hijack Chuckyt!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hkusp9- Thanks for the info. This is what type of information I was requesting.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Well lets see Sauer, since this thread turned into legaleze and gift ideas.. I think I am just going to get you a gift certificate for a years supply of boiled peanuts instead.

Oh! I wonder if Under Armor makes a  makes a moisture wicking napkin

This thread has gone in the wrong direction. Sincere thanks to all that have replied.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks BiteDog!!  Only a handful of class days left.  Graduation is the 17th.  What did you have in mind for a gift?  Sorry to hijack Chuckyt!  

I don't know if you are already hired or what your situation is and I might catch some heat for saying this but you don't want to be the "new guy with the unissued recording device."

It takes a long time to gain trust with the guys on the streets and I personally would be uncomfortable with a rook showing up on stuff I'm on with his new high speed recording device. The department is more than likely giving you an in car camera and body mic. That's all you need.

As far as a gift suggestion....  You can never have enough knives, medical supplies, BUGS. Depends on how much is being spent.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#26]
locked up for public hijacking. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top