Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 6:11:15 PM EDT
I just want to thank Pakrat and Fiddlersgreen for their response to my earlier question.  I was offered the job today.  I start PTI on April 4th.  I'm very excited and can't wait to start.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Just remember that you are working for an elected official, and beware the politics!!!!!  Keep your mouth shut and do what you are told until you are off probation and have gotten the lay of the land.  A comment you might think innocent that falls on the wrong ear could land you in some really hot water.  I speak from painful experience- sheriff's offices are political rat traps, so watch your back!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
[red] [size=6] OUTSTANDING!!![/red][/size=6]
Congradulations!!![flag]

[beer]

One last word of admonishment; you will take an oath soon - never forget your oath and never violate it.  Not only is it for you and your department but more importantly the people you will be serving.  If you violate the Oath, you violate the trust, you let your partners down and you demonstrate "just another bad cop".

Put a copy of your Oath or a copy of the LE Code of Ethics on your wall, read it or look at it every day, you put on the uniform.  A simple reminder of what is at stake and what it represents and who it represents.

If we can be of any further assistance, do not hesitate to ask!

Again, congradulations!

edited to add:
I concur with Sparky.  There can be some bad mojo in SO's!  Take his advice to heart.  Live it and breath it until you are out on your own.  Don't put your full trust in anyone for quite some time, you'd be surprised who will bury the knife in you, when given the chance. Never put full stock in promises. I, too, felt the pains of working in a backwoods SO and learned some great but terriably hard lessons. Stay low, work hard, stay quite.  Give 'em hell!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck! I'm going through the backround investigation for the LAPD right now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
LAPD - Uhhhuuggg!
Another Texican going off to show them Kalifornians how to handle business.  Good luck, bro!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember two very special days in my career as a Police Officer.

Sept 21, 1970 - first day on the job.

Oct 31, 1992 - the day I retired.

Wait - that sounds harsh, and I don’t mean it to be. There was a lot of great and not so great stuff in between.

Congratulations kujo! Remember, attitude is everything.

Stay safe, and never turn down back-up.

Don’t know about the politics of a Sheriff Dept., but I’d find it hard to believe it could be any worse that a major city PD. Maybe it is, still my congrats stands.

Mike

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the warning of the politics involved.  From everyone that I have been able to speak with about this department I have heard nothing but good things so far.  (Of course the bad are just usually hidden better.)  I definitely plan to keep my mouth shut and just do my job to the best of my ability even after my probationary period is over.  I'm not someone who has need for idle talk and will not allow something like that to cause me problems.  I prefer to learn from the advice given and hope not to experience such problems.  Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds to me like you should do pretty well.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations...I too work for an elected offical and have to see the politics involved.  But in my short 4 years in law enforcement I have learned that politics plays a part in any type of law enforcement agency you work for not just ones with elected officials.  I can still remember the first day I was handed my badge and id.  I had alot of pride that day as I still do today.  This is just my opinion but if you lose that pride in the line of work you are getting into then find another job.  But like I said that's just my opinion.    
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats,
I've been in law enforcement for 12 years. 2 years ago I accepted a job with the local Sheriffs Deparment. I love it. I can't believe I stayed with small department I was with for so long. In this area the politics were worse with the small departments. The one big department in the area is also fairly political. We tend to have much more independence and officer discretion than the local P.D.s with all the supervisors running around in such a small area. IMHO the SO is tops.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations and welcome to the "club",

Never forget who you are and who you serve, the public.  Walk the Walk and you'll never have to talk sh@!.  Look out for those you work with and know who is and will be looking out for you.  You are entering a proud profession and remember, no one remembers the good things you do, but when you screw up, no one forgets, so always be as professional as you can be to get the job done and go home at night.  We do the right thing becuase of who we are, not what we do.  And always, no matter how bad it is or seems, tell the truth.  The first time you lie on the job, your credibility is lost forever.  Good luck and I hope you find in this job everything it means to me.  It is the best job you'll ever love.

Also remeber to take the time to go out and visit the "real world" from time to time.  After awhile it seems that the only people you know are other cops and the scumbags you deal with during the hours of darkness.  Never lose track of the "good" people that we have sworn to protect. And by the way, 1* means you only have one ass to risk when you suit up and thats yours.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#11]
First, Congratulations!

Second, PTI? (College Academy - enjoy your nights out drinking.)Illinois State Police right here BABY!!! (got to love running at 5AM.)

Third, I hope your not working at McHenry County. If you are, I've got some heads up for you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
CONGRADULATIONS!!

And good luck some days you will love it some days u will hate it. just remember rule number#1 go home at the end of every shift.

tnrifleman
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrads!!! I'm a retired Army MSG E-8 and now a Deputy Sheriff...I personally prefer being a County Mountie to a city cop...more flexibility and less supervision...only drawback is the response time for backup...what the hel...I spent 14+ years on jump status so I'm used to being surrounded!!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#14]
It never hurts to read it every so often:

Law Enforcement Code of Ethics

As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to service
mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent
against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation,
and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the
constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality, and justice.
I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain
courage calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop
self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others.
Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I
will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the
regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a
confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity
will be ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the
performance of my duty.
I will never act officiously or permit personal feeling, prejudices,
animosities, or friendships to influence by decisions. With no
compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals,
I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or
favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or
violence and never accepting gratuities.
I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and
I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the
ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these
objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen
profession……………………………Law Enforcement.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top