Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2006 8:06:36 PM EDT
I bought my son an adorable flashlight for Christmas.  It has his name engraved on it as well.  In tradition he's allowed to open one gift on Christmas Eve.  He picks said flashlight.

Said flashlight has a radio in it.  In the 10 years I've lived here in this house I've never been able to get a decent radio station on my stereo!  This damn thing picks up about 30 stations loud and clear.  Did I say loud?    Looks like its going to need to lose his batteries.

Patty
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Crying children is a pleasing and relaxing sound to some people.  When your kid cries, it means your doing your job as a parent.

Break the radio.  

Merry Christmas Patty!
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
That's pure evil.  Make em cry on Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My sister's first child died in infancy. That child never makes a sound.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That is so sad.  I lost a baby too.  Its not the noise my child makes that irritates me its the noise the flashlight makes.

Patty
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#5]
My in-laws got my sons rabbits that do the bunny hop and sing... trucks with sirens where all they have to do is shake them to make it work, and the usual assortment of kiddy pianos and drums

I am in Hell  
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
aunt anne remains committed to finding quiet presents, though it is quite a challenge

i usually get my nephews clothes

for Christmas, i got Patrick, who is nearly 5, a My First UNO game, which has Sesame Street characters  

and i got Ryan, 15 mos, two big chunky plastic cars  
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#8]
My mom bought my daughter a keyboard last year, I hid it under her bed.  That toy is pure evil.  Before I had kids and knew how freaking mind numbing toy noise could be I bought my two year old nephew a toy drum!  She still brings it up and he is 8 now.

What I have never understood is why the volume is so high on some of the toys, all the Dora stuff is screaming loud.  I like it when they have volume controls.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#9]
i bought my little 4 yr old brother that Lightning McQueen Cars uh... car and it has 4 sound buttons, but when he opened that thing for christmas, i guess he liked one particular button so much that he pushed it ALL NIGHT LONNNNG..... I can still hear "VA-ROOOOOSHHH" playing over and over in my head.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
       I bought a little 11 YO buddy of mine a flashlight/radio combo but the beauty of the thing is that it has a handcrank so the batteries NEVER go dead! AH HA HA HA.
Got to be carefull his mother doesn't get a chance to kick me in the nuts! He really is a pretty good kid so I guess he will only be a pain for a couple of days. Two years ago he wanted to take up the drums and she TOLD me I could get him one but I cut her some slack (and the folks in the adjoining apartment!) and got him a decent practise pad. Guy at the music store said a decent pad would have better action than a cheep "toy" drum anyway.
       I have always thought that single guys and uncles have a certain duty at christmass time, its tradition!
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
       I bought a little 11 YO buddy of mine a flashlight/radio combo but the beauty of the thing is that it has a handcrank so the batteries NEVER go dead! AH HA HA HA.
Got to be carefull his mother doesn't get a chance to kick me in the nuts! He really is a pretty good kid so I guess he will only be a pain for a couple of days. Two years ago he wanted to take up the drums and she TOLD me I could get him one but I cut her some slack (and the folks in the adjoining apartment!) and got him a decent practise pad. Guy at the music store said a decent pad would have better action than a cheep "toy" drum anyway.
       I have always thought that single guys and uncles have a certain duty at christmass time, its tradition!

That is so cool.  He's lucky to have you as a buddy.  I would have liked the hand crank.  My son's needs batteries.  The radio isn't as bad as the squeel it makes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How very sad.  Please don't use that as a way to try and guilt someone else.  If you're trying to start something here, please take it elsewhere.

No ma'am, I was not trying to start anything nor make anyone feel guilty. My objective was to motivate the readers to view the subject from a different perspective. I have to do that to myself frequently.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 2:47:56 AM EDT
[#13]
It seems like everything Jamie got was noisy. It's okay until there's about three things going and then he starts hollering above it all trying to tell me something!

Can you say naptime? And pass the Motrin.

Link Posted: 12/27/2006 2:57:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How very sad.  Please don't use that as a way to try and guilt someone else.  If you're trying to start something here, please take it elsewhere.

No ma'am, I was not trying to start anything nor make anyone feel guilty. My objective was to motivate the readers to view the subject from a different perspective. I have to do that to myself frequently.

Not a very appropriate place to post something like that. I also lost a a baby. This wasn't the place or time to post it. Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:33:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought about not responding to this, but... I dunno, it seems like it needs a little something...

Perhaps people already have their own perspective that you're not aware of, hmm? I think you'd be surprised at how many women here may have dealt with similar loss to your sister's, which I am very sorry about.

Here's my perspective (and I'm not looking for sympathy or anything, it is how it is and I'm dealing with it); this was probably the last Christmas I'll ever see. If that's the case, it was wonderful, we made beautiful memories. Did I allow my children to engage in obnoxious behaviour because of it? Not so much. At this point, in my opinion, consistent parenting is one of the most important things I can give them.

I certainly don't think that people complaining about noisy toys need a different perspective, like I said, many people already have their own perspective. Patty herself had her own battle with cancer, if you remember.

We all deal with loss. Life goes on. Parenting goes on.

And very noisy toys that don't have removable batteries because people think it's funny are easily "mislaid".

Hope your holiday was wonderful.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:19:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It seems like everything Jamie got was noisy. It's okay until there's about three things going and then he starts hollering above it all trying to tell me something!

I bet he was adorable though!  Is it me or does candy canes have some hidden hyper ingredient in them that litterally makes kids bounce off the walls?  I might try eating one and see if I can get my house work done.  

Patty
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet he was adorable though!  Is it me or does candy canes have some hidden hyper ingredient in them that litterally makes kids bounce off the walls?  I might try eating one and see if I can get my house work done.  

Patty

He was amazing! And very good at opening presents.

They were giving out free candy canes as we walked into SEARS on Saturday, I swear that thing got me round the mall.

My house looks like a bomb went off... I think it'll take more than sugar to get me through this!
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My house looks like a bomb went off... I think it'll take more than sugar to get me through this!
Just one bomb?  The first blast here took our living room.  Later blasts claimed the dining room, kitchen, and back bedroom.  I'll start sorting through the rubble today.  

We got a "band in a box" from Grandmom.  The boys (ages 6 and 3) love it.  They also got a recorder flute, a kazoo, and a keyboard.  Did you know that just 2 children can play 6 or 7 instruments at a time?  Did someone say Motrin?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

They were giving out free candy canes as we walked into SEARS on Saturday, I swear that thing got me round the mall.

psst Peppermint Scnaaps and hot chocolate that's all I have to say!
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

psst Peppermint Scnaaps and hot chocolate that's all I have to say!

Funny you should say that, after reading Cat's 'band in a box' story, I was thinking forget Motrin, alcohol might be the answer (not that I can drink, hah bumbug)...

My house is still a mess, I slept for hours this afternoon and I think my cold is going away!
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm glad you're feeling better and here's hoping and praying you have many many more Christmases ahead of you!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't throw out the dead batteries. Keep putting them in the toy at night after he's asleep.

SoS
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm glad you're feeling better and here's hoping and praying you have many many more Christmases ahead of you!

+2
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

I'm sort of enjoying my cold, it's nice to be sick from something normal.

Speaking of noisy toys (or not), my daughters both got MP3 players for Christmas. Oh, the peace! No fighting about what CDs to listen to, no music coming from their room... I can highly recommend it. And Final Fantasy 12 for my son worked out well too, I've hardly seen him since Christmas day.

I am such a bad parent.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:00:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I believe I am the King of Noisy Gifts:  linky

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
My MIL sent the two most annoying non-battery operated cars for Joey. My father and I have conveniently plotted their disappearance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top