Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 7:42:30 AM EDT
We finally heard back from SS disability. My husband was accepted the first time!! Which is good news finally. Surprising we haven't had any formal paperwork sent out. I was checking our bank account online and noticed a large deposit on Monday.  They sent out a password for checking the SS account online but nothing else. Just goes to show how bad off his mental health is I guess. I did the forms myself, but I think his dr wrote up a report on him also.
Better news would be if he was able to have a job, but right now the meds are still hard on him to work an 8 hour day. Hopefully it will get better.  The SS isn't enough to live on even with my income.

Idette
ms_embroidery
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We finally heard back from SS disability. My husband was accepted the first time!! Which is good news finally. Surprising we haven't had any formal paperwork sent out. I was checking our bank account online and noticed a large deposit on Monday.  They sent out a password for checking the SS account online but nothing else. Just goes to show how bad off his mental health is I guess. I did the forms myself, but I think his dr wrote up a report on him also.
Better news would be if he was able to have a job, but right now the meds are still hard on him to work an 8 hour day. Hopefully it will get better.  The SS isn't enough to live on even with my income.

Idette
ms_embroidery

I don't mean to be rude, but I thought lots of people live on disability.  What do you mean by not eanough to live on?  What will you do when you can't pay rent or buy groceries?  Are there other options in your local community?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#2]
daydreamer, believe it, SS is not enough to live on. My mother is on permanent disability and will be until she draws her SS retirement benefits. Her total monthly check is $623.  She held a good job for many years before strokes, depression, hip problems etc took her out of the game. If my Dad wasn't around, not sure what Mom would do.

msembroidery. I am so glad to hear all went well the first try.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
That is great that you were approved on the first try.  I am a double amputee and cant get approved no matter how many times I have applied.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
His monthly check will be $945.  I earn around $1100/mo with my fulltime job,  alittle more some months with my embroidery business. We have alot of dr bills with him going to 2 dr's twice a month, plus all the meds he is on. (we do have medical ins, but it doesn't pay all) Then there are the regular monthly bills.......you get the picture??
I just figured it out for him is only minimum wage. But it helps. For the last 9 months we have been using money from selling some of our assets - another farmstead we had. But that money is needed for taxes next year. We didn't want to use all of it up and not have money left to fall back on. I would give the world if he would feel normal and able to have a regular job. It has been tough....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Wish y'all the best on this "journey".  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Idette
ms_embroidery

Wow!!! I am very glad to hear this!!!

But at the same time I am quite frustrated and pissed off  too!!! (not at you or your husband btw.)  I have been jumping through more hoops than a damned circus bear for over two years now. I have filled out an endless stream of forms and refilled them again and again.

I have seen countless doctors, (mine and theirs) and have paid for more tests and labs than I can afford all in an effort to expidite the process all to no avail. (All tests and labs prove my disability btw.)

I am at wits end and financially bankrupt, I don't know what the magic secret is, but I fear it will come too late for me.....

I'm sorry for the rant, and I don't mean to piss on your good fortune really.......

Good luck in the future and I'm glad this at least worked out for someone....
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it really depends upon how much you pay in.  Since ms_embroidery and her hubby were farmers or self employeed they do not have matching funds like a lot of private businesses give out.

I'm trying to get my son on SS before he leaves for college.  It will be based on how much I've paid in [and hopefully they'll track down his biological father's income too] since I've been mostly a stay at home Mom I doubt my son will get more than a few hundred a month.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I am at wits end and financially bankrupt, I don't know what the magic secret is, but I fear it will come too late for me.....

I'm sorry for the rant, and I don't mean to piss on your good fortune really.......

Good luck in the future and I'm glad this at least worked out for someone....

I'm really sorry to hear this. I was expecting to be turned down the first time, espically since I had no help on filling out the forms. I filled them out online, then asked for help here.  Then everyone said we will get turned down several times.
I sure hope you can get something resolved soon.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank goodness, what a relief for you! I have a relative who took a couple of years to get accepted with some similar issues, and after a couple more years of drs & meds, etc, she is beginning to be able to work part time, so there's light at the end of that tunnel, too.
All the best to you & hubby!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Montana1,

Give Crowe and Shannahan a call. My husband used Mr. Crowe we faught it for 18 months or so. He has 8 ruptured discs 4 in the thoraxic area and 4 in the lumbar area. The 4 in the upper portion crushing the spinal cord. No cure no surgery or paralyzed waist down.

He keeps the most positive attitude I have ever seen. It helps if you have a good primary care doctor as well. Ours wrote one letter and it got the point across and fast. Some folks don't seem to realize you just get buy on the disability. GoGop felt like scum having to apply. He feels like a burden.

I am recovering from kidney failure several other serious health issues. We are just glad to move and get out of bed. Prayer and keep the faith. You want an attorney does nothing but Social Security Disability. The firm has helped well over 10,000 cases and climbing and winning all cases.

Hope it helps and take care and God Bless wish you all well.
Try to have a nice weekend all.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#11]
ms_embroidery,

When you visit the doctor's tell them the situation and ask for samples. I know the bottles only have 5-6 pills per bottle but the drug reps give them free to the docs. You need a supplement and if you have an understanding doctor they can help. Try generic on some drugs if possible. Try Webmd.com
You have any questions you can type one on one with a pharmacist and guide you as well.

One thing insurance companies don't know the home situation. I work in Pharmacy not right now health issues and recovering kidney failure but ok. I would give patients when they were out of meds 2-3 days worth and then run the insurance card through again it would pay. Sometimes calling 2 days to soon they will reject the meds??

Let the billing department know this is what I can pay a month and they have to honor it. You are still paying the bills little by little they can't give you slack about it. If they do remember the person's name and extension and talk to the Administrator and things seem to change they will let you pay whatever amount you tell them.

Hope it helps wish you and your family well. I know HMO's suck big time.
God Bless to you both.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
When you visit the doctor's tell them the situation and ask for samples. I know the bottles only have 5-6 pills per bottle but the drug reps give them free to the docs. God Bless to you both.

thanks m-b, his psych doc is super great on giving out samples. He has been giving us samples of 3 major meds for the last 2 years. We only have to buy 2 others which aren't too expensive after ins.  Don't know how long the doc will keep giving them to us, but he does realize that my husband can't work yet.  
I think the reason on giving the samples out is that you don't know which meds are going to work or have too many side effects. I can't even count how many times meds have been changed. You have to find the right combo, usually its three types. Trouble is we still haven't found the right mix yet. Extreme anxiety/depression is something I don't wish on anyone. Most people don't understand it, I don't always understand what goes on with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top