Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2005 3:09:20 AM EDT
Have any of the women here in the Women's Forum noticed that your body just works/doesn't work differently since you had a child?  Figured this was as good a time as any (with slow posting here) to post a boring inquiry like this.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
<backing slowly out of this thread>

good idea

I can't think of any quirks off hand, other then the numb lower abdomen from the c/s scar.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife has to "go" more often. She does pelvic floor exercises a lot too, to keep in shape "down there". Sorry girls, life is just not the same after a vaginal birth or two. CS may be different.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good idea

I can't think of any quirks off hand, other then the numb lower abdomen from the c/s scar.

You too?  Does yours itch now and then, too?

and not from childbirth, but from nursing...  I've got one bosom that's bigger than the other.  He favored my left side.  Probably because it was more comfortable for me.  I mean, it's not wicked noticeable, I notice it, I had a doctor point it out, and my boyfriend noticed, but you wouldn't look at me like I'm a freak or anything.

at least not for that!!!  

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

good idea

You too?  Does yours itch now and then, too?

and not from childbirth, but from nursing...  I've got one bosom that's bigger than the other.  He favored my left side.  Probably because it was more comfortable for me.  I mean, it's not wicked noticeable, I notice it, I had a doctor point it out, and my boyfriend noticed, but you wouldn't look at me like I'm a freak or anything.

at least not for that!!!  

yes it does! which is funny because I have no feeling there. How can something itch that has no feeling? ANd yes I have one breast bigger then other too, not real noticeable, but there still the same.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup had the numb lower abdomen too. The feeling does eventually come back. I was one of those that had the pregnancy from hell,and I almost died from it too. Hence having only one. We almost lost our son too. Anything that could have gone wrong,went wrong. I scared my anesthesiologist.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#7]
numb lower abdomen here too: 2 c-section scars have really messed that area up...ya can't see them (thank you doctors with skill) but I can FEEL them in a numb icky kinda way.

Also since kids: I put up with less and less shit from adults. I will take it from my kids, but once you've hit puberty, don't whine in my freaken presence...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
numb lower abdomen here too: 2 c-section scars have really messed that area up...ya can't see them (thank you doctors with skill) but I can FEEL them in a numb icky kinda way.

Also since kids: I put up with less and less shit from adults. I will take it from my kids, but once you've hit puberty, don't whine in my freaken presence...

I've heard from co workers that cetaceans only take like 10 minutes from start to finish, and then hey staple the area shut.  why don't they sew the uterus closed?  Or is the stapleing not the cause of these side effects?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow!  I didn't know about the itchy numbness after a c-section.  Anybody have achy joints (wrists, knees) following pregnancy?

(ETA: If ARDoc checks in at Patty's request, add odd numbness from lying in one position too long. like lying back with hands on hipbones causing numb hands or pain in arms from propping on elbows)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard from co workers that cetaceans only take like 10 minutes from start to finish, and then hey staple the area shut.  why don't they sew the uterus closed?  Or is the stapleing not the cause of these side effects?

OT response:  Suturing and stapling close the wound either way, surgeons preference.

The numbness is from the incision itself.  Think of the sensory nerve supply to the skin like the leaves at the end of the branches of a tree.  Whenever you make an incision, you are pruning the leaves by cutting the small nerve ends.  It can take months for new innervation to take place, and in some areas may never return to normal.

On topic:  My wife's hearing has improved after childbirth to the point where she can hear a whisper in the basement while she is in the upstairs, interestingly, she can even interpret the complete lack of sound as a warning signal.  Similarly, she has some kind of bizarro visual capability eminating from the back of her head, and in fact can apparently see around corners.  Her powers of concentration have improved to the point where she can follow three unrelated conversations at the same time, and respond appropriately to all of them.  Her physical strength has dramatically increased, no doubt from the multiple reps and sets of lifting exercises, and her endurance of physical insult and injury is amazing.

Women.  An impressive species.  And yes, I am serious.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry..... too old to remember (youngest is 17).  At least be comforted by the fact that you will (or may) forget someday.  Those aches and pains are replaced by new ones caused by 'teenagers' (but that's a subject for another thread )  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Mine was an emergency c/s. I was wheeled into the OR at about 5 or 5:10am. I was given my spinal, gotten situated and I heard my son cry at 5:25am.
My uterus was sewn and my abdomen was glued. The side effects are from cutting the nerves and such like fish said. It's been 29 mths since my son was born and I have no more sensation now then I did right after the fact. I think I am one of the lucky ones who will never regain sensation. Oh well, no loss really.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Daisy most likely your son nursed more on your left side because it was closer to your heart, which is comforting to babies.  Its odd that your size didn't adjust after your milk dried though?  You're weird! j/k I don't know what's normal here.  

I would say achey joints would not be a normal sign of mother nature/having babies etc and would recommend having that checked out [I'll forward a link to this to ARDOC see what he thinks too].  Could be something as simple as fighting something off but for the life of me, I can't think of anything actually due to child bearing/delivery that would cause achy joints.

I guess the main thing I've noticed since having children is my inabilty to sleep in on week ends and my grocery bill has sky rocketed since I've stopped nursing.

Patty

*ETA* Fish that's too funny.  It is amazing how we mothers can grow eyes behind our heads and develop super natural hearing!

I had my abdomen worked on before having kids.  I had a ruptured appendix and was cut vertically during an emergency surgery.  They had to go through my uterus because of the infection to clean me out.  I too have sharp pains now and then but they have lessoned in time [its been 20 years or more].  My first surgery on my tummy I was left open for 2 weeks and then taped back together.  I actually think I healed easier this way then on the 2nd surgery where I was stapled back together.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Teenagers just give us GRAY hairs. It was a good 15-16 years before the numbness went away from the c-section. I was surprised one day. I just kind of lived with it and figured thats how it was going to be. Never thought any more about it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite: 10 mins from start to baby then another 45 putting all the stuff back together.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OT response:  Suturing and stapling close the wound either way, surgeons preference.

The numbness is from the incision itself.  Think of the sensory nerve supply to the skin like the leaves at the end of the branches of a tree.  Whenever you make an incision, you are pruning the leaves by cutting the small nerve ends.  It can take months for new innervation to take place, and in some areas may never return to normal.

On topic:  My wife's hearing has improved after childbirth to the point where she can hear a whisper in the basement while she is in the upstairs, interestingly, she can even interpret the complete lack of sound as a warning signal.  Similarly, she has some kind of bizarro visual capability eminating from the back of her head, and in fact can apparently see around corners.  Her powers of concentration have improved to the point where she can follow three unrelated conversations at the same time, and respond appropriately to all of them.  Her physical strength has dramatically increased, no doubt from the multiple reps and sets of lifting exercises, and her endurance of physical insult and injury is amazing.

Women.  An impressive species.  And yes, I am serious.

Brilliant post, Fish! Funny and true all in one post...love it!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#17]
OK, here we go!

Are you the same after childbirth?

Yes and No.  There are physiological changes that are permanent.  Different women react differently.  Some do very well and no detectable changes and other will tell you that there is.

There are hormones during pregnancy that soften the cartilage and bones to facilitate child birth.  Unfortunately they dont go back to the original position sometimes.  There are bone and soft tissue injuries during childbirth that may not be immediately evident.  But in the later years you may get incontinence and other problems.  I have a patient that fractured her pelvis in 3 places with her first child.

During a c-section, nerves in the skin are either cut or damaged.  A lot of women will report numbness especially below the incision.  Thats pretty normal.  A lot of women will tell that most of the feeling will return at some point. Others will always be numb.

As far as breasts are concerned, no two are exactly alike.  One is usually different then the other and thats NORMAL. Some women will tell you that breast feeding seems to literally suck the life out of them.  More likely the fat increase after breast feeding goes down so they dont seem to be as large.

Childbirth is a wonderful and risky adventure.  But the best objective view of what child birth does to women is to see that there are no real pro athletes after childbirth.  Mostly because they wait until they retire and are older but childbirth is a hard process on a woman and it takes it toll.  There are always exceptions.

The thing everyone should realize is that women are the true stronger sex.  They put up more pain and crap then any man would have been able to tolerate.   They are physically weaker but they are more resistant to disease, live longer.  Mother nature has seen fit to make more boys then girls.  There more boys born every year then girls by a small percentage. But because girls are not stupid enough to ride dirt bikes at break neck speeds, play with explosives, and do other stupid things, ultimately when they reach sexual maturity there more girls left.  Boys get sicker easier and die faster.  Women get less cancer of certain varieties.  Less colon etc.

Most of what I said are just generalized observations.  There will always be exceptions and outliers.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#18]
A lot of internal type of pain after surgery is something we call adhesions.  That a normal scar tissue formation inside your abdomen.  Sometimes its quite severe.  Think of you bowels as covered in oil and sliding around. With the scar tissue, it makes the bowels and organs stick together and when you move, the internals dont slide  like they should causing pain.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wow!  I didn't know about the itchy numbness after a c-section.  Anybody have achy joints (wrists, knees) following pregnancy?

(ETA: If ARDoc checks in at Patty's request, add odd numbness from lying in one position too long. like lying back with hands on hipbones causing numb hands or pain in arms from propping on elbows)

Okay, the doc types will guffaw about this, however I have been doing researxch on this for over 7 years now, and it is 90% of ALL I have done for those 7 years. So I DO know what I'm talking about.

I find it VERY interesting that of ALL of the auto-immune diseases, it is estimated that nearly ALL of them (there's at least one exception, I forget the name of it... it's what the "Lorenzo's Oil" kid has). have at LEAST a 2:1 to 10:1 ratio of women to men... So, early on I wondered WHY more WOMEN than MEN tended to "develop" auto-immune diseases. A LOT of docs want to "blame" homones... and, branted, that MIGHT be a factor, but a MUCH lesser one than GIVING BIRTH!

WAY, WAY more women give birth than men SO, way more women than men, develop auto-immune diseases. Why? AI diseases are REALLY Omega 3 deficiency diseases, NOT "Auto-immune" diseases. It's just that the docs do NOT "get" disease... they "get" injury VERY well, but they rather suck at disease, they're okay at DX (diagnosis) but not so good at either pathology (knowing/understanding WHY disease occurs) OR etiology (the scientific study of the cause of diseases). This is ESPECIALLY true of the alleged "auto-immune" diseases.

Now, when you are "making" a baby... (not the "fun" part) the part where the baby is developing. The EYES, intestines, kidneys, BRAIN, myelin covering the brain & the nerves, ... in fact EVERY CELL in the BODY is (supposed to be) surrounded by one of the omega 3's...DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)IOW, your body is DEPLEATED of VAST amounts of omega 3's while the baby is developing!

Doubt me? Not a problem, but check this out:

Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Notice "Joint Pain" in the "What events indicate a need for more high-omega-3 foods?" section?

TRY IT. Unless you are on a "blood thinner" there are no serious contraindications. I STRONGLY suggest either "Puritan's Pride" OR "Nature's Bounty" Brands of Flax (seed) Oil. I'd suggest 2G/day taken in the A.M. (as taking it late can result in SERIOUS insomnia issues.)

Now, when _I_ get off the omega 3 suppliments I don't get JOINT issues as much as TENDON issues (knees, achille's tendon) though I have noticed an issue w/the sacro-illiac joint.

Best of luck. Q's? Just ask here or IM me.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A lot of internal type of pain after surgery is something we call adhesions.  That a normal scar tissue formation inside your abdomen.  Sometimes its quite severe.  Think of you bowels as covered in oil and sliding around. With the scar tissue, it makes the bowels and organs stick together and when you move, the internals dont slide  like they should causing pain.

Why does scar tissue develop on, or over,  the abdominal organ's peri...thingyums?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Its a natural healing reaction for adhesions to form.  A lot of products are made to stop the adhesions from forming. Its a form of scar tissue resulting from irritation and inflamation.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, the doc types will guffaw about this, however I have been doing researxch on this for over 7 years now, and it is 90% of ALL I have done for those 7 years. So I DO know what I'm talking about.

I find it VERY interesting that of ALL of the auto-immune diseases, it is estimated that nearly ALL of them (there's at least one exception, I forget the name of it... it's what the "Lorenzo's Oil" kid has). have at LEAST a 2:1 to 10:1 ratio of women to men... So, early on I wondered WHY more WOMEN than MEN tended to "develop" auto-immune diseases. A LOT of docs want to "blame" homones... and, branted, that MIGHT be a factor, but a MUCH lesser one than GIVING BIRTH!

WAY, WAY more women give birth than men SO, way more women than men, develop auto-immune diseases. Why? AI diseases are REALLY Omega 3 deficiency diseases, NOT "Auto-immune" diseases. It's just that the docs do NOT "get" disease... they "get" injury VERY well, but they rather suck at disease, they're okay at DX (diagnosis) but not so good at either pathology (knowing/understanding WHY disease occurs) OR etiology (the scientific study of the cause of diseases). This is ESPECIALLY true of the alleged "auto-immune" diseases.

Now, when you are "making" a baby... (not the "fun" part) the part where the baby is developing. The EYES, intestines, kidneys, BRAIN, myelin covering the brain & the nerves, ... in fact EVERY CELL in the BODY is (supposed to be) surrounded by one of the omega 3's...DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)IOW, your body is DEPLEATED of VAST amounts of omega 3's while the baby is developing!

Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Notice "Joint Pain" in the "What events indicate a need for more high-omega-3 foods?" section?

TRY IT. Unless you are on a "blood thinner" there are no serious contraindications. I STRONGLY suggest either "Puritan's Pride" OR "Nature's Bounty" Brands of Flax (seed) Oil. I'd suggest 2G/day taken in the A.M. (as taking it late can result in SERIOUS insomnia issues.)

Now, when _I_ get off the omega 3 suppliments I don't get JOINT issues as much as TENDON issues (knees, achille's tendon) though I have noticed an issue w/the sacro-illiac joint.

Um, OK then.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Kacer, Your theory is interesting to me mostly because I've done a bit of research on AI diseases myself.  You might find my family's experience enlightening, so I'm sending an IM your way.  While I agree that pregnancy probably contributes to the disproportionate number of women with AI diseases, I don't think it is the only factor.  Stress triggers AI responses in predisposed individuals, and pregnancy is a stress, but ...

My family is full of women with AI responses and men without them.  The men do, however, have something in common.  Aggression and addiction.  I wonder if there is a sex hormone, particularly one shared by women and men that is at issue... perhaps an enzyme issue.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I am surprised no one has mentioned incontinence or prolapsing parts.  That tends to be one of the major problems caused by childbirth.  By no means is childbirth the only cause, there are plenty of women with no children that have leaking and falling parts but childbirth does significantly contribute to this.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I am surprised no one has mentioned incontinence or prolapsing parts.  That tends to be one of the major problems caused by childbirth.  By no means is childbirth the only cause, there are plenty of women with no children that have leaking and falling parts but childbirth does significantly contribute to this.

My midwife recommends that all her patients stay in bed for 2 weeks afterwards because I think the "falling parts" thing happened to her.  She also recommends a lot of Kegels (sp?) or pelvic floor exercizes during the pregnancy.  I don't know if it works, but I don't think anything is falling out that shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My midwife recommends that all her patients stay in bed for 2 weeks afterwards because I think the "falling parts" thing happened to her.  She also recommends a lot of Kegels (sp?) or pelvic floor exercizes during the pregnancy.  I don't know if it works, but I don't think anything is falling out that shouldn't be.

Thats a great way to get aDVT and PE and die.  I have seen it first hand.  Darwinism at its best.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I do my kegels too.  What am I going to get from them?  Patty
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

less chance of urinary incontinence, tighter pelvic floor.
And yes I do my kegels too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a great way to get aDVT and PE and die.  I have seen it first hand.  Darwinism at its best.

Well, there was no need for the Darwinism comment.  

Let me assure you that my birthing experience was the best of all the women I've visited with, especially those with hospital deliveries.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I was within 5 minutes of the best hospital in Austin, Texas "just in case", but my midwife was very professional, observant, AND considerate.  [ETA: I wasn't on strict bed rest]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Um...how about better sex, and more and better orgasms?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#31]
<girl talk...guys you've been warned>
I find sex more enjoyable after the kids...granted, mine were both section babies, but ya still gotta keep those floor muscles tight. I've foung G-spot is waaaaay more sensitive since the kids...dunno why. Doc says it's 'cause I've got great muscle control so do those exercises ladies!  
Guys, if you've read this far...sorry...but you WERE warned

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
<girl talk...guys you've been warned>
I find sex more enjoyable after the kids...granted, mine were both section babies, but ya still gotta keep those floor muscles tight. I've foung G-spot is waaaaay more sensitive since the kids...dunno why. Doc says it's 'cause I've got great muscle control so do those exercises ladies!  
Guys, if you've read this far...sorry...but you WERE warned

I think the greatest ability you can ever achieve is being multi-orgasmic.

It really should be an olympic sport.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me assure you that my birthing experience was the best of all the women I've visited with, especially those with hospital deliveries.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I was within 5 minutes of the best hospital in Austin, Texas "just in case", but my midwife was very professional, observant, AND considerate.  [ETA: I wasn't on strict bed rest]

I said that because thats malpractice.  She would have no defense if you died of a blood clot.  I have delivered more then 3 babies that came in dead after lay midwives tried to deliver them.  There is nothing like having pull a dead baby out. I have a midwife in my practice and I would more then be willing to have her take care of my wife.  But not one that gives fruity advice like staying in bed for 2 weeks.  You are begging for a complication.

I would also ask you midwife how much malpractice insurance she has.  I bet she has none or minimal coverage.  If anything goes wrong, you have no recourse.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Kegals are actually very effective at tightening the pelvic floor muscles as well as helping with incontinence.  

You have to figure pushing a 10cm object out of a 1 cm hole is not conducive to good health!  But plenty of women with no kids have pelvic relaxation.

Patty from your activity level, I doubt you will have problems.  The more fit you are the less problems you will have.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I said that because thats malpractice.  She would have no defense if you died of a blood clot.  I have delivered more then 3 babies that came in dead after lay midwives tried to deliver them.  There is nothing like having pull a dead baby out. I have a midwife in my practice and I would more then be willing to have her take care of my wife.  But not one that gives fruity advice like staying in bed for 2 weeks.  You are begging for a complication.

I would also ask you midwife how much malpractice insurance she has.  I bet she has none or minimal coverage.  If anything goes wrong, you have no recourse.

I considered the risk at the time.  I got up to do things like shower and dress.  This midwife is very open and is in a leadership position for a national midwifery association.  I did a lot of homework on her.  She's been involved with almost 2,000 births with only 1 infant fatality.  I understand your concern.  How many have you delivered at the hospital (non-midwife cases) that were delivered dead?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Plenty thats the nature of the business.  But you have to consider the cause and if it was preventable.

Again ask her about malpractive insurance.  Its to protect your interests.  If you have a disabled child, you would be responsible for the costs.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Plenty thats the nature of the business.  But you have to consider the cause and if it was preventable.

Again ask her about malpractive insurance.  Its to protect your interests.  If you have a disabled child, you would be responsible for the costs.  

Thanks.  If I have another child, I'll consider it.  It is my firm belief that, as long as I am a low risk mother-to-be, my child was at a greater risk of complication in a hospital or I would have selected a hospital.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Daydreamer to a certain degree I whole heartedly agree with you.  If you have had multiple children and have no risk factors, midwives can do a fantastic job.  What is the kicker is that so many things come up unexpectedly and when it does its a problem away from immediate help.

What you need is a compromise that my hospital has.  It has set aside a ward for midwives but its within running distance of Labor and Delivery.  No medications or monitoring are required and its more like a hotel then a hospital.  So you have the best of both worlds.

ETA:  OK, I have to add this part.

They call from there saying there is no midwife. So I walk in the nurse is pushing with the mother and father.  I can expect the mother to be unclothed but so was the father!  She was using him as a pillow and they were on this bed pushing!  I was like, alrighty then.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#39]
My doc had midwives on staff...FWIW...I chose the doc 'cause I like pain meds <shrug> I figure God made opiate for a reason...ymmv
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Daydreamer to a certain degree I whole heartedly agree with you.  If you have had multiple children and have no risk factors, midwives can do a fantastic job.  What is the kicker is that so many things come up unexpectedly and when it does its a problem away from immediate help.

What you need is a compromise that my hospital has.  It has set aside a ward for midwives but its within running distance of Labor and Delivery.  No medications or monitoring are required and its more like a hotel then a hospital.  So you have the best of both worlds.

They call from there saying there is no midwife. So I walk in the nurse is pushing with the mother and father.  I can expect the mother to be unclothed but so was the father!  She was using him as a pillow and they were on this bed pushing!  I was like, alrighty then.  

Maybe he was hoping that once the baby was out, he could get right in???

I'm just saying!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just saying!!!

Don't make me come over there....
I mean it...RI traffic is a b*tch this time of day!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just saying!!!

Don't make me come over there....
I mean it...RI traffic is a b*tch this time of day!

Twisted, ain't I?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
My doc had midwives on staff...FWIW...I chose the doc 'cause I like pain meds <shrug> I figure God made opiate for a reason...ymmv

I visited with a woman who had pain meds for one delivery and none for another.  She said that she'd do it without medicine any day.  Some women don't respond well to pain meds and muscle relaxers... um, me.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:27:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I visited with a woman who had pain meds for one delivery and none for another.  She said that she'd do it without medicine any day.  Some women don't respond well to pain meds and muscle relaxers... um, me.  

My first baby was all back labor...23 hours of excruciating pain...I walked in at less than 2cm BEGGING for meds... (I herniated 2 discs in my late 20's...I have back pain constantly...but this was awful) that labor resulted in CPD and a c-section. My second I went into labor 3 days prior to the scheduled section...all "normal" (not in my back) and walked into the hospital at 7cm saying "I think I am in labor." Evidently, I can handle labor pain so long as it's in the front but not the back <shrug>.
So what they say is true: pregnancy is different for each woman and each pregnancy is different.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quirks?
How about sanity?  Next to baby fat, which took effort to lose, the sanity melted away with ease.
My first was born two weeks shy of my 16th birthday.  Trust me I have heard all the OMG's I need to hear throughout my life. She is 32 now, and we are like best freinds.
My second was an emergency c-section, and the third was a documented somewhere, experiment for future women to have vaginal births after a c-section.  It used to be once you had a section, any subsequent would have to be too. 4,5,and 6 were all normal. (births anyway)
The big K should be done before and after childbirth.  I am 48, I don't need depends, my stuff doesn't flap in the wind, and it still works thank you very much.  I have seen younger women, with less kids not fare as well as I have, so I am slowly accepting this as a positive amongst all my negatives.  I had a partial hyst a little over a year ago, so NO MORE periods!! YeeHaw!  I wish I could have done that sooner!
But the sanity is gone, I am slowly trying to pick up a few peices I have found lying around, but I fear I am brain damaged for life.Then there are grandchildren, they enjoy crazy grandma Nonny.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quirks?
How about sanity?  Next to baby fat, which took effort to lose, the sanity melted away with ease.
My first was born two weeks shy of my 16th birthday.  Trust me I have heard all the OMG's I need to hear throughout my life. She is 32 now, and we are like best freinds.
My second was an emergency c-section, and the third was a documented somewhere, experiment for future women to have vaginal births after a c-section.  It used to be once you had a section, any subsequent would have to be too. 4,5,and 6 were all normal. (births anyway)
The big K should be done before and after childbirth.  I am 48, I don't need depends, my stuff doesn't flap in the wind, and it still works thank you very much.  I have seen younger women, with less kids not fare as well as I have, so I am slowly accepting this as a positive amongst all my negatives.  I had a partial hyst a little over a year ago, so NO MORE periods!! YeeHaw!  I wish I could have done that sooner!
But the sanity is gone, I am slowly trying to pick up a few peices I have found lying around, but I fear I am brain damaged for life.Then there are grandchildren, they enjoy crazy grandma Nonny.

Bite your tongue!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:34:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Bite your tongue!!!!!

And on what part should I naw my tounge?  It is missing some chunks already, don't want to take off too much more!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I see that super hearing, multitasking, lopsided boobs, and a loss of sanity has been covered.  The only thing I need to add to the list is stretch marks.    I should consider myself lucky to still be continent and have no parts flapping in the breeze, but the stretch marks still bum me out.  They weren't so bad after my first child, but they spread like crazy with the second one.    

Oh, and I also have developed that scary Mommy tone of voice that strikes fear into all children and some adults.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My first baby was all back labor...23 hours of excruciating pain...I walked in at less than 2cm BEGGING for meds... (I herniated 2 discs in my late 20's...I have back pain constantly...but this was awful) that labor resulted in CPD and a c-section. My second I went into labor 3 days prior to the scheduled section...all "normal" (not in my back) and walked into the hospital at 7cm saying "I think I am in labor." Evidently, I can handle labor pain so long as it's in the front but not the back <shrug>.
So what they say is true: pregnancy is different for each woman and each pregnancy is different.

My son was positioned a little off, so the labor was longer than is typical in my family.  The other day, a cousin gave birth (at home) in the shower 15 minutes before the midwife arrived.  She said the baby just fell out after 3 1/2 hours of labor... hear the sucking of my inhaled breath when I heard that.  Indeed they are all different and that lucky !@#! is going to know that when I see her next!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Kacer, Your theory is interesting to me mostly because I've done a bit of research on AI diseases myself.  You might find my family's experience enlightening, so I'm sending an IM your way.  While I agree that pregnancy probably contributes to the disproportionate number of women with AI diseases, I don't think it is the only factor.  Stress triggers AI responses in predisposed individuals, and pregnancy is a stress, but ...

My family is full of women with AI responses and men without them.  The men do, however, have something in common.  Aggression and addiction.  I wonder if there is a sex hormone, particularly one shared by women and men that is at issue... perhaps an enzyme issue.

In the "better late than never" catagory...

On the stress front, YES, stress DOES/can trigger AI responses... but do you know WHY?

I do.

Stress causes a rapid depletion of omega 3's. Omega 3 fatty acids are necessary for the formation of Prostaglandin 3, a biochemical that is required to shut off the "stress chemistry". Basically, the MORE DEFICIENT we are of the Omega 3's, the more stressed we get, the more stressed we get the more omega 3's are "used up", causing a greater deficiency and so on. (Vicious Cycle).

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top