Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 6:45:09 AM EDT
My class starts Monday...I'm so excited!  I'm not concerned at all about qualifying, I just want to know what the classroom part entails.  Ok ladies, tell me all about it!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish I could help you but in Indiana, no classroom is required to recieve our permit.
Good Luck though!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Couldn't tell you didn't have to do any classroom work. Other than the Army training me.
Good luck, let us know.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It is called CONCEALED for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Sadly, it's pretty friggin difficult to get a permit out here.  You basically have to pay off the sheriff and that's just not in my budget.

However....

leelaw was doing his research and found out that the CCW permit you can get in Utah is valid in 26 states.  Road trip!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I found it very difficult to stay awake. They go over the "important" laws (i.e. the ones you will need to know for the test) pretty well, and actually it wasn't difficult to figure out what informaiton would be covered on the test anyway. I scored 100 with no problem.

The shooting part was easy as well, as long as you don't freak out when they blow the horn. I'm the type that works better under pressure so that part went very well too.

You'll do fine I'm sure! Let us know how it goes!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]
nothing to worry about, btw are you in the dfw area?

where are you taking your class?

txl
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I found it very difficult to stay awake. They go over the "important" laws (i.e. the ones you will need to know for the test) pretty well, and actually it wasn't difficult to figure out what informaiton would be covered on the test anyway. I scored 100 with no problem.

The shooting part was easy as well, as long as you don't freak out when they blow the horn. I'm the type that works better under pressure so that part went very well too.

They blow a horn?

TxLewis~ We're taking it from a Plano Detective and doing our shooting at the Backwoods Trap.  I'm really looking forward to it, actually.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They blow a horn?

TxLewis~ We're taking it from a Plano Detective and doing our shooting at the Backwoods Trap.  I'm really looking forward to it, actually.  

Mine did. You have so many seconds to get so many shots off. They tell you the sequence you are supposed to shoot...yada yada...at the buzzer....HONK....bang bang bang bang bang......

Tons of fun! Maybe your guy won't do it as it sounds like a one on one type of deal?

ETA: Just be glad you don't have to pull your gun out of a double snapped holster! That totally sucks...
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wish I could help you but in Indiana, no classroom is required to recieve our permit.
Good Luck though!

+1...God, I love Indiana!

BTW, Mrs. Gungho, would you be interested/able to take a pistol class with me in Boone County in April?  Two day class for $150.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#11]
VA's CCP class is easier than TX?! WOW!  No horn, and no test here.  Just a bunch of useful info and a fun hour on the range going bang bang at leisure.  

A most respectful: neener, neener, neener to ya.  

Oh yeah, and a big fat good luck, you'll do great!  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
VA's CCP class is easier than TX?! WOW!  No horn, and no test here.  Just a bunch of useful info and a fun hour on the range going bang bang at leisure.  

Hmmm...I definitely recall taking a test.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there was a written, then it must have been so easy that I forgot it?  I honestly don't remember taking a written test.  There was the NRA range test, but that wasn't for my CC class and the NRA test was open book.    There most certainly wasn't a shooting "test".  But I had a 1 on 1 class, maybe that made a difference?  Hope I'm not saying anything that will get me or my instructor in trouble here!  Perhaps I should delete the post?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

VA has a broad definition of what meets the requirement for a firearms training class for a CHP.

Oh good!  I'm not going crazy!  Ya know, my own sanity is always the first thing I doubt.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there was a written, then it must have been so easy that I forgot it?  I honestly don't remember taking a written test.  There was the NRA range test, but that wasn't for my CC class and the NRA test was open book.    There most certainly wasn't a shooting "test".  But I had a 1 on 1 class, maybe that made a difference?  Hope I'm not saying anything that will get me or my instructor in trouble here!  Perhaps I should delete the post?

Requirements vary by county in VA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info, ladies.  I'm not too worried about it, just wanted to see how other people's experiences were with it.  There's a group of about 6 of us going, so hopefully we'll be able to keep each other awake!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:06:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good Luck though!

BTW, Mrs. Gungho, would you be interested/able to take a pistol class with me in Boone County in April?  Two day class for $150.

interested and able.

what kind of certification after the class? Who is giving the class? I seem to remember hearing something a while back about a LEO doing this up there.  do you have exact dates on it? This way I can start planning ahead for a sitter if need be.
I had a bunch of questions last night and now I can't remember them. My mind is kinda off kilter this morning.... probably from drinking the water last night  . (just kidding)  Shoot me an IM and let me know the nitty gritty.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good Luck though!

interested and able.

what kind of certification after the class? Who is giving the class? I seem to remember hearing something a while back about a LEO doing this up there.  do you have exact dates on it? This way I can start planning ahead for a sitter if need be.
I had a bunch of questions last night and now I can't remember them. My mind is kinda off kilter this morning.... probably from drinking the water last night  . (just kidding)  Shoot me an IM and let me know the nitty gritty.

Y'all better get your apps in directly...Cap'n Ken's classes fill up fast.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I teach CCW classes in FL. It's not bad here.  We go over gun safety, the laws, the dos and don'ts. methods of carry, methods of storage, transportation. traffic stops.  I let the students ask questions. I try t make it an enjoyable expeirence. We talk about  not supporting companies who don't support you. You fire ONE round infront of me and that meets state requirements. Our license is good in 27 states and can be issued to out of state residents as well.

J
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I teach CCW classes in FL. It's not bad here.  We go over gun safety, the laws, the dos and don'ts. methods of carry, methods of storage, transportation. traffic stops.  I let the students ask questions. I try t make it an enjoyable expeirence. We talk about  not supporting companies who don't support you. You fire ONE round infront of me and that meets state requirements. Our license is good in 27 states and can be issued to out of state residents as well.

J

Which states?  MY Oregon permit is not accepted in Washington State - which is a pain because I go shopping in WA state.

here ya go but nothing is excepted by WA it appears. Give it time.

J
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#25]
CHL = concealed handgun license, i'm presuming... Here in AL, I just had to fill out an appication at the County Sheriff's office, wait a week, pay $7.50, and now I've got one.  
If you guys are talking about something else, sorry.  Still trying to figure out some of the shorthand in these threads.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I finished my class part of the course so now all i have to do is qualify.  I absolutely loved it!  Of course, we had alot of our friends in there with us, so it was more fun than if we'd done it by ourselves.  Our instructor was awesome, had a great personality and really kept us on our toes.  He's a detective on a local PD, sniper, SWAT trainer, former Marine...the list goes on.  I was so in awe of this guy I didn't know whether I should salute him when he walked in the door or get down on my knees and bow to him.    Damn handsome, too.  (I'm trying to figure out how to fix him up with my mom!)  Anyway, he gave us alot of situations that would apply and told us how we should act in each one.  He also spent a couple of hours with all of us (especially the women) and showed us the proper handling of a firearm.  We did alot of dry firing, and he even gave some of the women pellet guns to take home and practice with.  He wouldn't let the women leave until all of us were comfortable with the gun and knew how to hold, aim, fire, etc.  I was really impressed.  There was another girl besides me that had handled many firearms before, so we let the other women have most of the one on one with him.  We qualify on Saturday, and he told us all that we would practice for about an hour before we show proficiency.   I can't wait.  I think he's bringing a couple of his SWAT boys, too.  Yummy!  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Congrats so far!

Ummm, did you say SWAT???

Say it with me girls....

SWAT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top