2 "O my son, O son of my womb,
O son of my vows, [2]
3 do not spend your strength on women,
your vigor on those who ruin kings.

4 "It is not for kings, O Lemuel-
not for kings to drink wine,
not for rulers to crave beer,
5 lest they drink and forget what the law decrees,
and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.
6 Give beer to those who are perishing,
wine to those who are in anguish;
7 let them drink and forget their poverty
and remember their misery no more.

8 "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
9 Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy."
Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character
10 [3] A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Oppresive or a good model?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting; I used that passage in an essay recently. Matter of fact, a couple of arfcommers know of that essay.

But at any rate....yes, I think it's quite beautiful, and the model for a good wife.

edit...hey, wait, what's this doing in the women's forum? I thought I was in GD.

Are you stirring the proverbial pot again, C_C?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Interesting; I used that passage in an essay recently. Matter of fact, a couple of arfcommers know of that essay.

But at any rate....yes, I think it's quite beautiful, and the model for a good wife.

edit...hey, wait, what's this doing in the women's forum? I thought I was in GD.

Ahem, I was looking for women's opinions about whether this is a good model or not, not a man's view (which is pretty much a no-brainer on this one).
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
About a wife...

Proverbs 31

Sayings of King Lemuel

How is that oppressive, she is valuable, inspires confidence, is kind, strong, noble, wise, and fears God. As it says if a woman is like that she has "earned" her reward in heaven
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
About a wife...

Proverbs 31

Sayings of King Lemuel

How is that oppressive, she is valuable, inspires confidence, is kind, strong, noble, wise, and fears God. As it says if a woman is like that she has "earned" her reward in heaven

I'm asking, not implying that it is oppressive. Some women may think any Biblical verse about women is oppressive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Also interesting is that the Bible de-emphasizes a woman's looks, while many men do the opposite.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahem, I was looking for women's opinions about whether this is a good model or not, not a man's view (which is pretty much a no-brainer on this one).

Sorry. I fail to see how sex matters here...God's Word is God's Word, regardless of sex.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry. I fail to see how sex matters here...God's Word is God's Word, regardless of sex.

God's word is what it is. But different genders view the same thing differently.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Some women may think any Biblical verse about women is oppressive.

Um....so?

Most atheists and agnostics have opinions on the Bible, too....so what?

I really don't care if the stay-puft marshmallow man knocks on my door and tells me his opinion on any particular Bible passage. It doesn't change anything.

Really, C_C, why do you always ask these pot-stirring questions?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But different genders view the same thing differently.

Um......I believe you'll learn, eventually, that what you refer to falls under 'interpretation'.

That's a dangerous thing. It says what it says.

Oh, BTW, what translation of the Bible is that?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um....so?

I really don't care if the stay-puft marshmallow man knocks on my door and tells me his opinion on any particular Bible passage. It doesn't change anything.

Are you saying these women are too delicate for a little discussion with possible dissenting opinions?

And what's so pot-stirring about what I posted?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
clean_cut,

Why do you worry about women?

Aren't you going to die a virgin?

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
clean_cut,

I don't worry about women. I am curious about what you think on certain matters. Guess I am not well-liked here?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um....so?

Are you saying these women are too delicate for a little discussion with possible dissenting opinions?

No, I'm saying that while it's a beautiful passage, 'discussing' it won't re-define its meaning.

Why are you baiting me?

And as for pot-stirring.....since you asked:

I ihave noticed over the last, oh, two decades, that in virtually all of my interaction with people of certain backgrounds, there is a predisposition towards subtle pot-stirring.

People from backgrounds such as yours, in my experience, enjoy pushing the envelope, making people uncomfortable, etcetera....much like my uncle, who enjoys starting political arguments, just for the sake of arguing, even at annual family gatherings where the primary purpose shuld be fellowship, not strife.

I find that behavior to be just a bit disturbing, ok?

As you grow older, I hope that you absorb more American culture...the good parts, anyway.

Let me ask you, my friend:

How many members here have accused you of being a troll?

How many dozens of topics have you started in the last year that ended up causing dissent and hard feelings?

How many times have you quit posting here temporarily because you created a controversy?

Now.....after all of that, has it ever occured to you that there is a pattern of trollish behavior evident in your posts? Consider that question for a moment, and maybe you'll understand why so many feel that you come across as being *just a little bit* creepy.

No offense intended....but you did ask.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
clean_cut,

I don't worry about women. I am curious about what you think on certain matters. Guess I am not well-liked here?

Let me give ya a hint, here, bud....

Those who say "I guess nobody likes me" end up being unliked.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How's any of that oppressive? I think you can find other biblical verses to debate that issue, but this one is pretty good advice, looking for a woman with good qualities that'll work together with you in life v. finding some useless  high maintenance bimbo with big gazongas

Don't talk about her like that! She had some good qualities, too....

edit:

crap...I'm trolling in the women's forum. I'll be on my way now.......
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um....so?

No, I'm saying that while it's a beautiful passage, 'discussing' it won't re-define its meaning.

Why are you baiting me?

And as for pot-stirring.....since you asked:

I ihave noticed over the last, oh, two decades, that in virtually all of my interaction with people of certain backgrounds, there is a predisposition towards subtle pot-stirring.

People from backgrounds such as yours, in my experience, enjoy pushing the envelope, making people uncomfortable, etcetera....much like my uncle, who enjoys starting political arguments, just for the sake of arguing, even at annual family gatherings where the primary purpose shuld be fellowship, not strife.

I find that behavior to be just a bit disturbing, ok?

As you grow older, I hope that you absorb more American culture...the good parts, anyway.

Let me ask you, my friend:

How many members here have accused you of being a troll?

How many dozens of topics have you started in the last year that ended up causing dissent and hard feelings?

How many times have you quit posting here temporarily because you created a controversy?

Now.....after all of that, has it ever occured to you that there is a pattern of trollish behavior evident in your posts? Consider that question for a moment, and maybe you'll understand why so many feel that you come across as being *just a little bit* creepy.

No offense intended....but you did ask.

If you say so... people accuse most other people on here of being a troll at some point or other. It's a good way to internet discredit someone when you don't like what they are saying. Kind of a cheap shot if you ask me.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
clean_cut,

Let me give ya a hint, here, bud....

Those who say "I guess nobody likes me" end up being unliked.....

I don't talk about my relationships on the internet like many men do here in Arfcom. If that's what you have to do to get "respect" sheesh!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#19]
good grief, the women might answer if the men weren't so busy arguing like they aren't even here.  

I'm not sure what your intention is CC, but whether it be ill or kind, I do not think this particular passage is oppressive as I interpret it.  I see it pointing out the woman's works as were considered appropriate for the day and saying how they are necessary and valued.  

I wouldn't use this as a laundry list to judge women by, as the times have greatly changed since it was written.  I would say that it is between a couple and the goals of their marriage to determine what rolls the man and the woman have as partners.  For example, most people don't spin or make their own sheets now a days so I wouldn't mark a chick off because she doesn't know how to do this.  (just for the record though, I am learning how to spin just for the fun of it )

I think the root of the scripture is that women should be respected for doing their marital duties (whatever they may be) well and with joy.  Same thing can be said about men.

Oh blessed drudgery that we may find joy in serving the Lord in all our works great and small.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
good grief, the women might answer if the men weren't so busy arguing like they aren't even here.  

+1
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
About a wife...

irrelevant for the most part now?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm not sure what your intention is CC, but whether it be ill or kind, I do not think this particular passage is oppressive as I interpret it.  I see it pointing out the woman's works as were considered appropriate for the day and saying how they are necessary and valued.  

I wouldn't use this as a laundry list to judge women by, as the times have greatly changed since it was written.  I would say that it is between a couple and the goals of their marriage to determine what rolls the man and the woman have as partners.  For example, most people don't spin or make their own sheets now a days wouldn't mark a chick off because she doesn't know how to do this.  (just for the record though, I am learning how to spin just for the fun of it )

I think the root of the scripture is that women should be respected for doing their marital duties (whatever they may be) well and with joy.  Same thing can be said about men.

Oh blessed drudgery that we may find joy in serving the Lord in all our works great and small.  

I don't have any ill intent in posting this.

Some women nowadays that if they don't have a high-powered career AND be a wife and mother, that they are not all that. And if anyone (like this Bible verse) tells them to devote themselves to looking after their families and husbands, that they are not fulfilling some potential.

I had a girlfriend who got a PhD in mathematics, so she was on a high-powered career track. But she often told me she would rather be a SAHM - she was quite conflicted.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How's any of that oppressive? I think you can find other biblical verses to debate that issue, but this one is pretty good advice, looking for a woman with good qualities that'll work together with you in life v. finding some useless  high maintenance bimbo with big gazongas

edit:

You're ALWAYS in here.

Like I've said before, it smells better.

Surely I'm not the only one who has multiple windows open as they surf, no?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

edit:

You're ALWAYS in here.

Like I've said before, it smells better.

Surely I'm not the only one who has multiple windows open as they surf, no?

Sniffing around in the women's forum, I see.

My other windows are usually Survival, Handguns, and EE.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Some women nowadays that if they don't have a high-powered career AND be a wife and mother, that they are not all that. And if anyone (like this Bible verse) tells them to devote themselves to looking after their families and husbands, that they are not fulfilling some potential.

I had a girlfriend who got a PhD in mathematics, so she was on a high-powered career track. But she often told me she would rather be a SAHM - she was quite conflicted.

Then it's a problem in how they feel valued for their work.  If her roll in the relationship were clearly defined and agreed upon and clearly valued I don't think there would be a problem.

Of course the grass always seems a bit greener on the other side at times, but if she has confidence in her roll and the choice that she and her husband make then she can always say "I am doing what is right for my family, my husband values me, this is all I need."  Regardless of if it is w/ children, w/career, w/ career + children, whatever.

IMHO.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then it's a problem in how they feel valued for their work.  If her roll in the relationship were clearly defined and agreed upon and clearly valued I don't think there would be a problem.

Of course the grass always seems a bit greener on the other side at times, but if she has confidence in her roll and the choice that she and her husband make then she can always say "I am doing what is right for my family, my husband values me, this is all I need."  Regardless of if it is w/ children, w/career, w/ career + children, whatever.

IMHO.  YMMV

Yeah, but if the woman has a talent that is valuable in the marketplace, would it not be a waste if she stayed at home all the time? (Just what some people would say).

I see what you are saying about where a person gets her sense of value from. Value from society for being an intelligent professional, or value from her husband and family for being a good wife and mother (which in turn could be valued from society as well).

Anyway, I appreciate your serious post.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO.  YMMV

Yeah, but if the woman has a talent that is valuable in the marketplace, would it not be a waste if she stayed at home all the time? (Just what some people would say).

I see what you are saying about where a person gets her sense of value from. Value from society for being an intelligent professional, or value from her husband and family for being a good wife and mother (which in turn could be valued from society as well).

Ah, yes, the devaluation of the mother....  In this day and age, it is more important what kind of car you drive than how you raise your children.  They are merely accessories, so it makes sense that a stay at home mother is considered a waste.  I have heard it from former friends, "you're really going to be a housewife??  Aren't you wasting your potential?"  Apparently, raising my 2 sons to be honest, noble, God-fearing gentlemen is somehow less worthy of my time and energy than sitting behind a desk drawing a paycheck.  Last time I checked, though, society is not threatening to collapse for need of one more mathematician/chemist.  However, my sons would suffer without their mother, and my husband would suffer without me keeping our home.  I don't know when society became so confused as to believe that feminism means women muct act like men.  [Enough ranting in your thread]

I think the Bible verse is beautiful, but I don't neccessarily think it is a specific guide for what a wife should do.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO.  YMMV

Ah, yes, the devaluation of the mother....  In this day and age, it is more important what kind of car you drive than how you raise your children.  They are merely accessories, so it makes sense that a stay at home mother is considered a waste.  I have heard it from former friends, "you're really going to be a housewife??  Aren't you wasting your potential?"  Apparently, raising my 2 sons to be honest, noble, God-fearing gentlemen is somehow less worthy of my time and energy than sitting behind a desk drawing a paycheck.  Last time I checked, though, society is not threatening to collapse for need of one more mathematician/chemist.  However, my sons would suffer without their mother, and my husband would suffer without me keeping our home.  I don't know when society became so confused as to believe that feminism means women muct act like men.  [Enough ranting in your thread]

I think the Bible verse is beautiful, but I don't neccessarily think it is a specific guide for what a wife should do.

Interesting. Thanks for the post.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think it is a specific guide?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't, but a lot of men and women do. Esp. the men.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, by specific I mean, do you really think a wife should be expected to spin the sheets and all of that stuff?  It is a great general guide.  A wife/mother should work for her family in whatever way is neccessary.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, by specific I mean, do you really think a wife should be expected to spin the sheets and all of that stuff?  It is a great general guide.  A wife/mother should work for her family in whatever way is neccessary.  

Only if she's good at it and enjoys it.

Women come in all personalities, I'd hate to shackle them to one fixed image presented in the Bible. I realize this image is an idealized one, and no one should have to live up to it.

Dignity, strength, and devotion to family are good qualities to have - as long as a woman really cares...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Ah, yes, the devaluation of the mother.... In this day and age, it is more important what kind of car you drive than how you raise your children. They are merely accessories, so it makes sense that a stay at home mother is considered a waste. I have heard it from former friends, "you're really going to be a housewife?? Aren't you wasting your potential?" Apparently, raising my 2 sons to be honest, noble, God-fearing gentlemen is somehow less worthy of my time and energy than sitting behind a desk drawing a paycheck. Last time I checked, though, society is not threatening to collapse for need of one more mathematician/chemist. However, my sons would suffer without their mother, and my husband would suffer without me keeping our home. I don't know when society became so confused as to believe that feminism means women muct act like men. [Enough ranting in your thread]

Now THERE is a woman......

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Actually, I would say this is the perfect model for modern women, what women today, many of them anyway, seem to want.  Let's see here, she takes care of her family, is respected and cherished by her husband and children, can take care of finnancial matters, AND has a good job to boot.  Sounds good to me!

On the other hand, there will always be people who find offense in just about anything.  Oh well, nothing you can do about that.  No, not all women are SAHMs, not all women are career-driven.  To me there is just as much honor in deciding to stay at home and raise your children as there is in being a CEO of a corporation.  Whatever works for you and your situation, as long as you are true to yourself and what you believe in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um....so?

Exactly. I refuse to comment and will let you speak for me! Thank you for saving me some time arowneragain
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#37]
I do not feel oppressed by this passage of scripture.  All women should strive to be like this; the passage is written to men telling them what kind of woman they should try to find.  There is nothing wrong with being a noble, responsible, respectable, intelligent and strong woman.  Now if men would just read and follow this scripture they would be a lot better off. 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
 If men would look beyond the fake charm and beauty and find a woman of strength and inner beauty there would not be so many post on this board about broken relationships.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top