Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 11:01:15 AM EDT
with modern parallels.

Came across an old book about the Apache predations on the Mexicans. It was terrorism at it's worst. Al Queda would have been proud of Geronimo. A lot of Mexicans thought he/they were devils sent to punish them for their sins.

Anyway, General Crook and several of his junior officers were men worth reading about. I'm even thinking about taking a vacation and hiking into the Sierra Madres just to walk the territory where all this happened.

A lot of people thought that "war on terrorism" was unwinnable, too. It took General Crook's revolutionary methods to finally prevail, and they strike me as applicable today:

He used Apache scouts against renegade Apaches.

He weeded out the "equipment" that didn't perform in the rugged terrain, e.g. got rid of horses and switched to mules and learned to travel very light.

He insisted that his officers be scrupulously honest and honorable - they won the trust of a lot of the "enemy".

He patiently used a combination of carrots and sticks.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent points!

Of course that was when the Officer Corps was made up of real men, patriots, instead of sycophants and affirmative action incompetents.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
.... that was when the Officer Corps was made up of real men, patriots, instead of sycophants and affirmative action incompetents.  

I, ah, ahem... was an officer...  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Excellent points!

Of course that was when the Officer Corps was made up of real men, patriots, instead of sycophants and affirmative action incompetents.  

I didn't realize the military was an affirmative action organization...

I am an officer, and I am neither a sycophant or an affirmative action candidate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Excellent points!

You almost made it a whole year!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.... that was when the Officer Corps was made up of real men, patriots, instead of sycophants and affirmative action incompetents.  

Yeah but you were a fighter pilot....not Army Infantry.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#6]
There are officers who lead from the front, and officers who lead from the rear.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Excellent points!

I've got a brother who spent about 15 years as enlisted infantry before going to OCS, and is now a 1LT scout platoon leader in Baghdad who might take exception to this.  I know I do.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Rodent:
There was a lot of that down here on the Rio Bravo.  Go back to some of the Mexican War stories, particularly when the US Army employed to Rangers as scouts and supplemental light horse to their own forces.  They were extremely effective, although the regular Army had some trouble accepting the methods used.  

ETA:
I'd think twice about going down there to hike.  It's not a real healthy place to be.  Another officer I work with (who's family is from Mexico) said that he would not go across the river right now.  Look into what's gong on Nuevo Laredo for a good indication of what the environment is like down there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
with modern parallels.

Came across an old book about the Apache predations on the Mexicans. It was terrorism at it's worst. Al Queda would have been proud of Geronimo. A lot of Mexicans thought he/they were devils sent to punish them for their sins.

Anyway, General Crook and several of his junior officers were men worth reading about. I'm even thinking about taking a vacation and hiking into the Sierra Madres just to walk the territory where all this happened.

A lot of people thought that "war on terrorism" was unwinnable, too. It took General Crook's revolutionary methods to finally prevail, and they strike me as applicable today:

He weeded out the "equipment" that didn't perform in the rugged terrain, e.g. got rid of horses and switched to mules and learned to travel very light.

He insisted that his officers be scrupulously honest and honorable - they won the trust of a lot of the "enemy".

Guess you never saw the real story in the movie "Broken Arrow".
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Not to hijack the thread, but what did you fly Rodent?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

He sat in the little airplane rides in front of the super-markets while his mom was shopping and he made vvvvroom noises.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:41:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He sat in the little airplane rides in front of the super-markets while his mom was shopping and he made vvvvroom noises.

Uh, true, actually .

Then F-4's and A-4's as an adversary.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:30:21 AM EDT
[#13]
F-4 and A-4's huh? Kickass!!! The F-4 is one of my all time favorite fighter jets. I know it's been replaced by newer and more effective jets, but I still miss Old Double Ugly. I use to see them fairly regularly (KY ARNG unit RF-4C's) in the 1980's flying MTR 075. Nothing like high speed military jets 400 ft off the deck to bring a smile to your face (and cupped hands to your ears).
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was Marine infantry before I went to flight school.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
with modern parallels.

Rodent:
Sounds like a great read, what's the name of the book? author?

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Rodent:
Sounds like a great read, what's the name of the book? author?

Now I can't find it. I think it was "Tales of the Old West". It's out of print, I found it in a used book store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top