Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 3:32:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it not obvious?  The winners write the histories.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The Huns and Mongols were winners yet as obershutze916 states;  we think of them as bad.

My take is it depends on if we can trace our roots to those empires.   Basically, we as a nation and our culture are a decendent of Britian, Rome, and Greece.  I think this causes us to look more favorably to their conquests.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Correct!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Huns and Mongols were winners yet as obershutze916 states;  we think of them as bad.

My take is it depends on if we can trace our roots to those empires.   Basically, we as a nation and our culture are a decendent of Britian, Rome, and Greece.  I think this causes us to look more favorably to their conquests.

Maybe the Huns did not write any history, but the left overs of their victims did.  Wern't the Huns to nomadic to settle down and build a library?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I would agree that we consider those who had political beliefs which were similar to ours, and those that we are decendants of would be considered good.

I think that the Nazis would be considered bad due to the fact that those events were so recent, and they did not have political ideals which were in line with ours.

I think that it would be pretty much the same criteria for most any previous empire.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Good question!

Initially, the victors write history as it suits them.

However, I believe that as time goes by, history is scrutinized more and more.  

We have to be willing to challenge accepted "historical" conclusions, however.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We have to be willing to challenge accepted "historical" conclusions, however.

I agree.  The thing about history is that outside of statistical information most everything else is open to interpetation depending on which angle you are looking at it from.  This open interpetation is what makes all those "what if?"  scenarios so interesting to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top