Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2001 4:31:53 PM EDT
I understand that the AR15 had an even lighter barrel when originally submitted to the Army for testing than what it was released with as the M16 (0.570 nominal in the thin sections, I believe). The Army required it be slightly thickened due to danger of "rain burst". Does anyone know what diameter that original barrel was?
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
What is rain burst?
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is rain burst?
View Quote

Don't remember what the original dia. was(.6 something), but rain burst is when you get rainwater, or any other water down your .22 barrel, and the bullet hits the water droplet(s) with catastrophic results, namely, barrel explosion.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that this is correct - the barrels on the prototypes were lighter.

Some of the troops in Vietnam complained about bent barrels but this came as a result of using them to pry open crates.... that will usually bend a barrel every time [:)]

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top