Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2002 4:54:32 PM EDT
can I ship preban hicap pistol mags to Puerto Rico legally as a private citizen?

thanks for the help guys
Iso
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Lived in PR for two years (99-01), but I brought my wepaons, mags, and ammo over with me.

Took 6 months to be able to take them home from the arms room.  

Paperwork and bureaucracy in that place is  ridiculous.

Restrictions on Firearms, carry, ownership, possession, ammo, mags, and everything else associated with lawful posession.

OTOH, you could just bring whatever you wanted with you to PR in your luggage and carry it home without any problem (unless you got caught).

I am not familiar with the current specific law on mags, but would be forewarned that it is likely illegal, but the odds of being caught (esp. as the sender) is very low.  PR just rewrote their firearms laws in the past year, and they are posted on one of the websites with the other state laws.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not totally versed in PR law. But, I have read a little of it when I was considering a trip.

They actually have a law requiring your name to be on your rifle.

If the customs is anything like what I saw in 1992 and 1994 in the US, it shouldn't be a problem getting anything you damn well please in and out. I would warn against trying this in other countries, though. In 1992, the first time I went out of the US I was suprised when I went through foreign customs. Many countries will use dogs to sniff your bags (for drugs ?) and or hand search them if you meet a certain profile or in some all bags may be searched w/o any prob. cause. As my dad pointed out at the time, there is no 4th amendment overseas. So, you hand your bags to the guy with the gun. Now, our airports look like foreign customs did 10 years ago. We now have armed guardsman in Airports and are checking all bags. Shit, I was suprised 10 years ago to see police w/ MGs and have my bags hand searched upon entering another country.

But, at the time US Customs was a joke. I could have walked through customs with anything I damn well pleased with no fear of getting caught. No wonder it is so easy to get drugs in.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
cc48510:

There is no US Customs or Immigration check when transiting to/from PR and the CONUS.  When entering either from another nation, then they are required.

PR is a Commonwealth, but it is (for customs and immigration), part of the US of A.  Or de los Estados Unidos.  Depending on your orientation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top