Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2001 8:04:35 PM EDT
Does modification of parts to meet AR15 specs OK for use in an AR15.  Such as grinding the head off the bolt or the center section of the safety selector?

Thanks,

JJ
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can modify M16 parts to AR-15 specs and be legal and all...however, I do not claim to know what needs to be done to each part.  I don't think you can modify all of the M16 parts but you can the hammer and bolt carrier.

Anyone else?

medcop
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The only tricky ones are the trigger and selector:

bolt carrier - grin back the bottom portion 1/4" or so, so it cannot trip an auto sear
hammer - grind off the hook on the back
semi disconnector - grind off the tail which protrudes out the back of the trigger
trigger - weld up or fill in the open channel in the back (jb-weld is OK for this)
selector - technically you can just grind off the portion which contacts the disconnector in "auto", but ideally, you'd want to fill in the selector detent for the 3rd position, by welding or filling with jb-weld.  Most find it simpler just to get a semi selector.

if adapting a 3-round burst parts kit, you must also modify the burst disconnector and burst cam:
burst disconnector - grind off the front hook
burst cam - grind off the notches, turning it into essentially a washer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Circuits for the info.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
or sell the lower parts on ebay to pay for new semi parts. I sold my lower burst parts set from my TAPCO kit for $200! buy a NEW complete lower kit for $50 then you have roughly $140 minus lower in your kit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys that sell 'em on Ebay for $200 are pirates!  Bandits, I say! :) You should wear eye-patches and walk on peg legs, and I salute your enterprising spirit.

Thank god for Ebay users who don't know gun parts, since you can get a complete set of new burst internals for about $75, or cheaper at a gunshow.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
$200!!!  I only got $80 for mine.
Steve
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$200!!!  I only got $80 for mine.
Steve
View Quote

yep!,$200 is what I got outta the first set, the next 3 I got $175 each! just to sell em quicker.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]
KBPERF, good to see your around, last I heard you were having some difficulties.  Glad to see you around.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
KBPERF, good to see your around, last I heard you were having some difficulties.  Glad to see you around.
View Quote
glad to be here, missed this place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top