Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2001 1:55:54 PM EDT
So Im taking a few classes at the local college and found out that my lab partner was a member at the same club as myself.  He also has 3 AR's, a Fal and other misc. rifles.  He had an AR and his Fal in is truck because he went to the club before class.  So after class I went out to see his toys.  I was very surprised as to what I saw.  He had a M-4 Colt Pre ban upper, basket cage flash hider, bayo lug etc. telescoping stock and M-16 internals...now the biggest problem was that these were all attached to a DPMS lower.  This rifle was assembled by him about a year ago.  I mentioned jokingly that his rifle though very pretty was in fact illegal in many ways. He pretty much just laughed it off.  He also joked that all he had to do was replace the safety with the correct one and it would go full auto?  He has never been on this site and Im not sure if he knows about the 94 ban or not.  I didn't know that DPMS ever made pre ban lowers and I know if they did this surely isnt one of them.  I also checked out his STG58 Fal, that to had almost no AMerican parts and had the 3 prong flash hider still attached. He said he sent the Kit out to someone in Cali for $400 and they assembled it for them.  Obviously they new nothing about the laws currently in effect.  I am suppose to go out to the club with im tomorrow and was wondering if I should bother to school him on some of the current laws...or should I not bother, who is ever going to know that his weapons are not legal???  Come on guys lets hear it, lol.  Mike
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, he's wrong about just replacing the selector to go full auto (unless he's also stuck in a $225 shotgun news drop-in sear).

I'd tell him it's illegal (if he didn't already know), to have a post-ban in pre-ban config, then leave it at that.  I have no problem with someone knowingly breaking the stupid AW ban, as long as they do so knowingly, and with an appreciation for the risks involved.

If he's got unregistered machineguns or the intent to construct one, I personally wouldn't be caught anywhere around him.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
DPMS did infact make pre-ban rifles, I almost bought one but decided against it. Called DPMS with the serial number to check on it and it was legit. They are out there but you just dont see many of them.

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Many people have little regard for the unconstitutional laws that were enacted upon us during the Klinton years. Not unlike the colonists ditaste for the impositions of the English.

I would ask the guy if he was aware of all the restrictions placed on his weapons and if he didn't know then I'd tell him about it. If he does know, then I'd respect him for having the balls to disobey the unconstitutional restrictions placed on our inalienable rights and wish him the best of luck. I hope he never gets jammed up over it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top