Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2001 9:42:00 AM EDT
I ordered a bunch of .50cal and .308 ammo from a dealer in Florida. I sent him an email to see if he could get it to me as I live in Alaska and only some dealers have the contacts required to ship via a barge company to me, and since I didn't know if this fellow did, I asked if he could get it here. Anyway, I received an email from the gun shop on the 16th of Sept that they could get it to me no problem. On the 20th of Sept I got another email telling me that they had sent my ammo...via US Mail parcel post and it was on the way.  According to the USPS website, ammo can not be mailed. What happens to me if the ammo boxs broke open during sort or something.....am I in trouble by the postal service? I don't like the idea of meeting bubba in the state pen. If it was lost, how do I ask the postal service for a refund of the insurance cost since ammo can't be mailed in the first place?  Thanks all!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#2]
If the US Postal Service discovers what's in those boxes, they WILL confiscate it, and send you a letter notifying you (the addressee) of the seizure.

I had a gunshop send me ammo along with a rifle I bought earlier this year, and they sent them in the same package - US Mail.

I got a letter explaining the seizure of the enclosed ammunition, but thankfully, got the rifle (finally) about 3 weeks later.

Good luck - please inform the shipper of the gross error of their ways.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
This is kind of off the topic, but what does the USPS do with the confiscated ammo?  Do they sell it at public auction, or dispose of it?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Must... ...not... ...make... ...postal worker joke....
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Brad76:  Wild guess, but I’d think they would destroy it.  Imagine the liability issues of selling ammunition of an unknown origin.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#6]
This is kind of off the topic, but what does the USPS do with the confiscated ammo? Do they sell it at public auction, or dispose of it?
View Quote

They do the same thing that Police Officers do when they take full cases of beer from underage drinkers, it gets taken home for "testing purposes".

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting Update:  I talked with 2 postal masters and they are both saying the same thing:  If the ammo was sent by a licensed ammunition distributor, it is legal for them to ship ammo to me via US Parcel Post.  Said the boxes had to be properly labeled, but as long as they are a licensed ammo dealer, it's OK.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Cal Kid ROTFL.

Prince I must have bought a truckload of beer for the local cops in Missouri.  It went someting like " Well kids we are going to take your beer,.......your lucky we aren't calling your parents. Don't come out there again next week at 8:45,....buy better beer next weeek"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top